Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    No, i thought it was funny, but it did come across as a little immature, and maybe counter-productive in an anti racism/xenaphobia argument.

Why was it counter productive????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffin Man)
    Hear hear!! About time someone had some sense. :yy:
    But that doesn't mean Rooney had the effect of making us play worse than if there were only ten in the team. The team didn't seem particularly motivated. Rooney getting sent off acted as a catalyst for the kind of backs to the wall performance we do well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelfire1987)
    he had easy saves to make.

Well what does that say then???

ReputationRep:
    But that doesn't mean Rooney had the effect of making us play worse than if there were only ten in the team. The team didn't seem particularly motivated. Rooney getting sent off acted as a catalyst for the kind of backs to the wall performance we do well
    Bottom line: England played crap with or without Rooney.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Dynamite_)
    Why was it counter productive????
    Counter productive in that you didn't make a anti racism point at all, and what you did say seemed a little immature. Not saying you are immature, but just that one post was.
    How about pointing out that the "greasy Portuguese" is just a stereotype and that not all the Portuguese players are cheats. Though i'm having difficulty picking out one that isn't, i'm sure there's one there.
    Miguel didn't do anything wrong, apart from looking a little uncomfrtable on the ball in the first half. He's alright in my book

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line: England played crap with or without Rooney.:rolleyes:
    Bottom line: England matched Portugal before Rooney was sent off, and then still matched them after he went. That's not the ideal definition of "crap"

ReputationRep:
    Well what does that say then???
    That the England players had played their hearts out the hour before and had nothing left for the penalties?

The mind also breaks when the body is broken, but no one told Hargreaves that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    Rooney got sent off because he is a violent thug who cannot control his temper. No other reason.
    Claro;yucky; ;yucky;

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line: England matched Portugal before Rooney was sent off, and then still matched them after he went. That's not the ideal definition of "crap"
    It's my definition of crap. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Counter productive in that you didn't make a anti racism point at all, and what you did say seemed a little immature. Not saying you are immature, but just that one post was.
    How about pointing out that the "greasy Portuguese" is just a stereotype and that not all the Portuguese players are cheats. Though i'm having difficulty picking out one that isn't, i'm sure there's one there.
    Miguel didn't do anything wrong, apart from looking a little uncomfrtable on the ball in the first half. He's alright in my book
    I thought he ment greasy as in dirty grease. And I didn't want to start a racism debate because that isn't what this is about and it's not worth preaching. And it's not worth arguing with people like that. So I used the winning phrase. It never fails. It is the ultimate ut down. Scrubs taught me this.

ReputationRep:
    It's my definition of crap. :cool:
    That's a crap definition (the word "crap" in that sentence has a different definition to your definition of "crap" )

ReputationRep:
    That the England players had played their hearts out the hour before and had nothing left for the penalties?

So bottom line Portugal had more stamina

ReputationRep:

About time they got knocked out. They played 5 matches. Played poorly in all of them, and still had a such a big hoohah about how they cuold win. Totally ridiculous!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Well, when you have to do more running to make up for only having nine other players in your team...

ReputationRep:
    France played really well today.

ReputationRep:
    Agree that Rooney didn’t step on him intentionally. But I don’t understand why so much hate for Cristiano Ronaldo?? Why on earth was Rooney pushing, and right in from of the ref :wtf?:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQxDXlhUl...o%20Ronaldo%22

ReputationRep:

Yeah especially because they had an extra man on the pitch...... :confused:

Besides, England were obviously trying to avoid penalties in the extra time periods because they were moving up and down the field themselves, especially as their holding striker wasn't up there to fend off opposition.

Ah well. I admit as soon as I saw Lampard was first to take a penalty, the result was always going to be an England loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluedreamer)
    Agree that Rooney didn’t step on him intentionally. But I don’t understand why so much hate for Cristiano Ronaldo?? Why on earth was Rooney pushing, and right in from of the ref :wtf?:

Because Rooney isn't the sharpest tool in the box...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well, when you have to do more running to make up for only having nine other players in your team...
    Well two of the portugal players were hanging about down the England goalpost waiting (and waiting and waiting) for some action.

I find it so strange how normal people (I presume) will go to such extreme lengths to make themselves feel better after losing a football match.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluedreamer)

Because that sort of thing isn't deserving of a red card, or a yellow card, or anything except for a "calm down dear". I'm not convinced the stamp was intentional, i think he just stood on him, and it appears that was what he was sent off for

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.