Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    ^ Yup. Because it's emotionally draining and exhausting watching England play, we have no energy left at the end of the match to resort to violence, so we end up glum and resigned every time instead of vicious sore-losers. *coughArgentinacough*

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about it.

i thought how about a free kick shoot out. each team has 5 free kicks into the box and the opposing team must defend while the attacking team must try to score, if the defending team kicks the ball out of the box it is out of play, and that chance is missed. like penalties 1 man can't take all the free kicks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    bit reactionary.

Official FIFA Statement

"Due to England losing 5 penalty shoot-outs, we need to redress the balance, so the following policy will now be adopted. Penalties will still be standard in the event of a tie after extra time unless one of the teams is England, in which case they will be designated winners"
    is that true?

ReputationRep:
    you say that penalties are unfair as the best team doesn't always win;

surely the best team should be able to score within 2 hours of football?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest penalties are superb to watch unless your team happens to be taking part. I watched the Germany - Argentina match and really hoped it would go to the drama of penalties just because of the tension and excitement. However, I was in a big pub watching the England match and I doubt many people around me would have been hoping for a penalty shootout even during extra-time.

After 2 hours of football, if two teams cannot be split in open play, then penalties seems the only reasonable way to decide a match. I agree that it can often be harsh but one team is always going to lose and so whichever team loses will feel they have been treated unfairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Radioactive Phoenix*)
    is that true?
    no silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Radioactive Phoenix*)
    is that true?
    lmfao

ReputationRep:
    Christ no! Look at the Switzerland/Ukraine match, they could've been there all day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aced)
    you say that penalties are unfair as the best team doesn't always win;

surely the best team should be able to score within 2 hours of football?
    thats not always the case though, for example some teams can have 90% 40 shots on target and some of the time they won't score because
    a) the strikers are off form
    b) the goal keeper was magnificent
    c) everyone on the team are blind and have no feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 789654123)
    no silly.
    DAMMIT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naranoc)
    ^ Yup. Because it's emotionally draining and exhausting watching England play, we have no energy left at the end of the match to resort to violence, so we end up glum and resigned every time instead of vicious sore-losers. *coughArgentinacough*
    Well considering certain sections of the red top media are looking to label the blame factor on Rooney or Ronaldo I'm not sure if we're really all that much better to be honest.

At the end of the day, our excuse was the manager and his poor squad selection, not Rooney, Ronaldo or the ref but the manager's inept decision making skills.

ReputationRep:
    Terry should be the new captain IMHO but Gerard would also do well. Cannot see Lampard, Neville or anyone else getting it.

ReputationRep:
    FA Cup Doubles with a neutral goalkeeper! Awesome!

ReputationRep:
    After yesterday and the fact that it happens time and time again, it's easy to say they should be dropped and to be honest I'm sick to the back teeth of seeing England go out on pens.

So yes, I do think it is an unfair way ultimately as it doesn't show the strength of a team but at the same time, how do you suggest they do it otherwise. Seems implausible (sp?) :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    NEUTRAL GOALIE!! What an idea!! LMAO!! +ve rep for the legend of an idea

ReputationRep:
    see my suggestion earlier

ReputationRep:
    They should just have a big, **** off fight. We'd kick arse (literally).

ReputationRep:
    I think in England we have this sort of "Oh well, there's always next time" down to earth mentality. I'm so glad there haven't been outbreaks of hoolaginism, because I don't think it's representative of the real English fans at all.

Didn't England have an Argentinian ref yesterday? *will say no more*

ReputationRep:
    So....

We should drop penalities just because England are **** at them? I think not..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    So....

We should drop penalities just because England are **** at them? I think not..
    i never siad they should because england are piss poor at them, i ask how is it fair as the best team doesn't go though.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.