Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Radioactive Phoenix*)
    i never siad they should because england are piss poor at them, i ask how is it fair as the best team doesn't go though.
    In light of recent events its a fair assumption to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    In light of recent events its a fair assumption to make.
    fair point.

i could argue that although i don't think holland have had to go to as many penalty shootouts as england, they have a pretty poor record as well!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we would have this conversation if we were German?

ReputationRep:
    i never siad they should because england are piss poor at them, i ask how is it fair as the best team doesn't go though.
    Yes you did lol ...

Now that england have lost 5 shoot outs, is it time now to get rid of penalty shoot outs as the final tie-braker.

ReputationRep:
    engalnd also have won 1 penalty shootout in euro 96 against spain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Yes you did lol ...
    sorry i'll go back and edit that!

ReputationRep:
    sorry i'll go back and edit that!
    lol, its ok

ReputationRep:
    thats not always the case though, for example some teams can have 90% 40 shots on target and some of the time they won't score because
    a) the strikers are off form
    b) the goal keeper was magnificent
    c) everyone on the team are blind and have no feet.
    So you're faulting a team for having a magnificent goalkeeper? And if strikers are off form what is supposed to happen? They are going to lose for being off form. Getting 90% of the shots doesn't always make you the better team, especially if you miss 90% of the 40.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think there is anything wrong with having penalties, i know the better team doesnt always win (like argentina against germany) but its part of the game. i know a team needs some luck to win shoot out, but you also need skill. like in the match, the better team doesnt always win, that doesnt mean we should make the better team's goal smaller.

i think recardo is brilliant keeper especially at penalties. england did not win penalties because they werent good enough at shooting. lampard has had lots of shots on goal throughout the tornement, and still didnt come close to scoring, he even missed a penalty in a friendly before the WC, so it wasnt all about pressure, hes just crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decola)
    So you're faulting a team for having a magnificent goalkeeper? And if strikers are off form what is supposed to happen? They are going to lose for being off form. Getting 90% of the shots doesn't always make you the better team, especially if you miss 90% of the 40.
    no, its an example

ReputationRep:
    No. I said it in another thread, but while it does kinda make the rest of the match pointless, you do need a final decider after 2 hours of football. The poor sods on the pitch would collapse from exhaustion otherwise..

The worst way to crash out of a tournament, but I can't think of a better way to end a dead heat.

ReputationRep:
    the thing is its roo's fault.. Did ronaldo get roo to stamp on somebodys crotch??? i dont think so...

ReputationRep:
    how about replays? its done in the FA cup!

ReputationRep:
    The World Cup doesn't really have time on its side for that.

Also, replays are pants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elbow_fan)
    Didn't England have an Argentinian ref yesterday? *will say no more*
    That is possibly the one thing that had the potential to lead to trouble and may have done had we been in a similar situation in the past. This time however, the English fans have really lived up to the good reputations that they have earned in Germany and have done us proud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    So....

We should drop penalities just because England are **** at them? I think not..
    Basically yeah Heheh, the logic of disappointed fans...heh

ReputationRep:
    Would many kids want to (possibly) not see their dad for a month? I doubt it, stupid question if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    no, its an example
    Give me more examples than, because the one's you have given just show bias. If player and team doesn't perform than you can't call them a better team, it's subjective, whereas penalties are an objective way of dealing with the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    the thing is its roo's fault.. Did ronaldo get roo to stamp on somebodys crotch??? i dont think so...
    He did, he held him at gun point behind the refs back, you not see?

ReputationRep:
    Penalties will always be unpopular with the losing team. At the end of the day, the team is there to play football and has a job to do during normal time. That should always be the aim, not to try and hold out for the lottery that is penalties.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.