The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
I thought it was Lassana Diarra being groomed for Makelele's role? Even when Makelele quits he might still be present for the club in other forms to help train other players may be. It might be worth using Makelele in bigger games and subbing/resting for smaller games in the future to prolong his playing career at Chelsea.

I havn't seen much of Diarra tbh, but Essien seems to play quite naturally in that role. Having said that if Essien continues to score goals like he did against Everton, Ballack will become good friends with Cudicini, Huth and SWP :wink: .

Mourinho did say at the weekend that Makelele looked the youngest player in training lol.
Klinsmannic
I havn't seen much of Diarra tbh

I haven't either. He needs to start being blooded into the side even if he's introduced as a sub with 20 minutes to go when the game is over. He has been promising for the French U21s though.

Klinsmannic
Mourinho did say at the weekend that Makelele looked the youngest player in training lol.

I don't take too much attention to what staff say usually. Wasn't so long ago that Kenyon said we weren't after Ballack and look what happened. :rolleyes:
Reply 842
kpg
ba ba is correct, I don't think Carragher and Terry (or two similar players) would work, you need someone like Ferdinand (well, someone with the qualities he is supposed to have) in there. However, Ferdinand seems to have the concentration equivalent to that of a fish and I dont think I've ever seen a more over rated player in my life. To say his positional sense is better than Carragher's is comical at best and makes your post lose all credibility. The only thing Ferdinand has over Carragher is his distribution of the ball.

I've watched Carragher closely ever since he made his debut for Liverpool. He was a limited footballer back then, his tackling and positional sense has always been brilliant but there were limitations in his game, particularly his ball distribution. This had improved massively. For me he is the best defender in the league right now and the only thing Terry has over him is his ability to score goals, which to be fair is quite exceptional. How can one mention Juve not being very creative as a criticism of Carra? His performance in Turin was heroic, he was simply outstanding and is one of the best performances I have ever seen from a central defender.

I could probably name the bad games Carra has had in the last 2 years on one hand, the main ones that come to mind are Southampton away last year, the first half against AC Milan and the game at Highbury this season. Also Fulham away this season.

Had a bit of a mare at Luton, but then, they all did.

Whoever talked about our current midfield pairing: what was our midfield last season?

kpg
His is simply breathtaking and the longer he stays away from the England set up, as far as I'm concerned, the better for Liverpool.

Exactly, although he won't quite see it that way.
Reply 843
The italian 'boring' stereotype is just really old now, and in itself boring. Juve are the exception in Italy and Milan, Inter and Roma to name 3 play some excellent football.
Reply 844
Arsenal to go into the finals...

What a final it would be Arsenal V Barca...:biggrin:
Reply 845
Liverpool have improved this season by 21 points, Blackburn by 13 and Spurs by 9. The opposite being Arsenal who have gone back 16 points and everton by 11.

Interestingly, City are worse off than last season despite Stuart Pearce apparently having done a great job!
Reply 846
I dont think that Ballack will come to Chelsea! They already have two squads lolz. :biggrin:
Reply 847
An away goal and a clean sheet, the perfect result for Barca and considering they didn't play good, that's a sign of a great team. Ronni was poor in the first half but change the game with one magical pass, again sign of a great player.

AC were missing Inzaghi and it showed, especially when they brought in Ambrosini who should've scored. That's football, you don't put away your chances, you get punished.

It's hardly going to get better for AC next week since Eto'o was none existence last night since the ball was hardly in the final third of the pitch because of the cautiousness of the game.
Reply 848
Refused
An away goal and a clean sheet, the perfect result for Barca and considering they didn't play good, that's a sign of a great team. Ronni was poor in the first half but change the game with one magical pass, again sign of a great player.

AC were missing Inzaghi and it showed, especially when they brought in Ambrosini who should've scored. That's football, you don't put away your chances, you get punished.

It's hardly going to get better for AC next week since Eto'o was none existence last night since the ball was hardly in the final third of the pitch because of the cautiousness of the game.

If we get into the finals by beating Villa Real...I rather we played Barca in the finals that AC Milan. :biggrin:
w8wizz
I think they have enough quality to be in the position they are now. Their defence was good last night considering that they were playing against a good attacking team.

I dont the fact that they are playing away means they have less chance of scoring. They just need abit of luck, like barca had last night. I thought a draw would have been a fair result last night. But i have confidence in the milan team and i think its not over just yet.

Quality undoubtable, but quality isn't the same as performance.

I don't think they were threatened much defensively.

But i do agree that being away from home doesn't neccessarily mean its harder to score, and luck could definately turn it around, i just don't think that its likely
Refused

I didn't think Inzaghi was 1st choice anyway these days, Gillardino has been preffered as far as i know
Reply 851
GoonerSab
If we get into the finals by beating Villa Real...I rather we played Barca in the finals that AC Milan. :biggrin:

As the commentator said, last night WAS the final :biggrin:
Reply 852
Refused
As the commentator said, last night WAS the final :biggrin:

LOL. Was it? :biggrin:
Reply 853
Maybe Lassana Diarra is being groomed for Essien's role?
Klinsmannic
As Liam The Eagle said, Essien will be groomed for the 'Makelele role' over the next couple of years. As for money it's not the players making the deals, they don't choose to have 24m quid spent on them. Money is there because people choose to watch football (chelsea an exceptional case :p: ) and i'd rather it was pumped into the game then kept as profits for chairmen and shareholders.

EDIT: Word has it that SWP may go to Arse in a straight swap for A Cole.

I think A.Cole is rated higher than SWP... so i think Chelsea would need to give more
Reply 855
NOT FUNNY.
NDGAARONDI
Exactly. I have noticed this irony of comdemnation over diving when thuggery is ignored. Another thing which peeves me off is people try to imply that diving is new by the way they are talking about it.

Same old argument with you, if your not the 1st to do an offence then that makes it alright. As for thugs, I cant think of a bigger one than Essien.
Reply 857
sarforaz
I think A.Cole is rated higher than SWP... so i think Chelsea would need to give more

:rolleyes:
Reply 858
serious narb
I didn't think Inzaghi was 1st choice anyway these days, Gillardino has been preffered as far as i know

Gilardino has been poor since the turn of the year, and the fact that he has yet to score in Europe means Inzaghi usually gets the nod for the big games. I thought Gilardino was unlucky not to score last night - he created the first chance all by himself and hit the post, and for the second chance, he was put under pressure fromt the defender behind him which put him off balance, and it coould have been a penalty.
Reply 859
ba_ba1
Gilardino has been poor since the turn of the year, and the fact that he has yet to score in Europe means Inzaghi usually gets the nod for the big games. I thought Gilardino was unlucky not to score last night - he created the first chance all by himself and hit the post, and for the second chance, he was put under pressure fromt the defender behind him which put him off balance, and it coould have been a penalty.

True say mate.:biggrin:

Latest