60.98%

ReputationRep:
    The best left-back ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Andy Gray is a prick
    (Original post by dan)
    I concur.
    How fickle, coming from the "resident evertonian". Didn't he score for Everton to help them win the FA Cup in 1984 and the league and European Cup winners cup? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    surely the bidding would be so intense for the players that they'd end up with TONNNNNNNES of cash..

ReputationRep:
    Absolute legend, class guy. Tragic that he didn't take part in the last world cup. Still one of the best left backs ever, if not the best.

ReputationRep:
    Roberto Carlos is better, but Maldini is one of the greats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byronic)
    NOOOOO...

No way. Sorry, I'm not having that. He may score more goals, but as an all rounder, professionalism, defensively etc, Maldini is the man

ReputationRep:
    *questions why the so called supporters arent on the terraces watching the matches rather than finding ways to get around paying*...

How can you truly support a team without actually offering anything in the way of financial or vocal support? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Legally I hope!
    *realises should be setting a good example*

Well, duh!

If everyone supported their local team and went to games instead of buying manyoo shirts and watching sky then it wouldn't be as bigger problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    Its a shame to say but i think its true, it hasnt by any means been sudden, over the last 10 years the change has been dramatic.

TV times used to be 3 o clock kick off, now there are hardly any, most clubs tickets are very expensive as it is and forever rising, ticket allocations for coorporats is going up and up (look at previous FA Cup finals), standing at matches is prohibitted, travel on matchday is hiked up to increase profits and many more examples.

Without the football fans football wouldnt exist, simple. I think its a shame because there is too much love for the game to actually inspire any action, i wouldnt throw away my season ticket. It just seems that money counts for more than passion and in a sporting environment, with football loved throughut the Uk this is not the way it should be.

I started this post after is saw this on the Guardian website:

By Jason Deans / Television 05:53pm

It's official: Sky Digital and NTL customers will have to subscribe separately to Sky Sports and Setanta to get all 138 live Premier League matches each season from August 2007.

Currently the cheapest Sky Sports package offering four channels - with other entertainment and movie services bundled in - is £20.25 per month, for the first three months (rising up to £42.50 thereafter) while subscribing to Setanta's seven channel package costs £14 a month.

This is just an example of how companies are trying the bleed the fans of every penny. They are basically stopping companies monoplising TV rights by dividing it out so you have to pay for separte channels. Its a joke.
    The creation of the Premiership has caused many of these problems. It was of course triggered by a desire for a more lucrative TV deal, which was secured and sent a flood of money to top flight clubs but left the lower divisons with the breadcrumbs, the financial gap between top and bottom has been increasing ever since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    If everyone supported their local team and went to games instead of buying manyoo shirts and watching sky then it wouldn't be as bigger problem.

But that's never going to happen is it, you support who you want, not who you feel you should support...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Legally I hope!
    One philosophical argument is that it doesn't matter if you break the law in this respect because, by doing so, you can help change the law to a more reasonable position - or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me you're joking.

ReputationRep:
    Maldini is absolutely majestic at left back, there has been no one better and probably never will be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Please tell me you're joking.
    No, I'm not. I'd have Roberto Carlos in my team over him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mancred)
    relegate them, send their players over here
    I'd happily swap Carvalho for Cannavaro!

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not. I'd have Roberto Carlos in my team over him.
    fair enough, thats your opinion, but don't you think Roberto Carlos is weak defensively? Widely regarded as the worst player in the Brazil squad at the WC - their newspapers even described him as an idiot after the France game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zlatan)
    How fickle, coming from the "resident evertonian". Didn't he score for Everton to help them win the FA Cup in 1984 and the league and European Cup winners cup? :rolleyes:
    Didn't Dan think that Davey Moyes was a prick too?

ReputationRep:
    Look what's with all the Motty-bashing? So he's excited like a,little kid, and says silly things at times, but thats part of his charm. All the great moments in football like world cups, FA cups have been special with motty's commentary. An insitution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zlatan)
    Not fickle. A fan can dislike one of their own players

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.