Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    they were always going to get relegated... you do realise that the lawyer DEFENDING THEM said that they should be relegated right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'll make my prediction anyway even though it will be the same 4 teams as normal, Chelsea, Man Utd, Arsenal Liverpool (Yawn Boring)

Who will be Champions? Chelsea (as usual)
    Who will be Runner up? Manchester United
    who will get the Champions League/Uefa cup places? Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham, Middlesbrough, Newcastle
    Who will be Relegated? Aston Villa, Charlton, Sheffield United
    Who will be the Dark horses of the Season? Watford
    Who will be the underachievers? Aston Villa (as usual)
    Who will be The first manger sacked/ to leave this season? David O'Leary
    Who will be Be in the FA cup/League cup Final... and who will win Either Chelsea, Man United, Arsenal or Liverpool

I'd say bring on the championship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worldwide)
    they were always going to get relegated... you do realise that the lawyer DEFENDING THEM said that they should be relegated right?
    I'm bitterly disappointed - I wanted all 4 of them relegated

ReputationRep:
    This thread seems to be where all the action is happening.

/hint

ReputationRep:
    Vieira to Arsenal.
    Buffon to Arsenal.

Italian invasion :eek:
    The next time an Italian club will win the CL will be when Everton manage to to next get back onto the CL

I hope

ReputationRep:
    next season? as i assume the clubs "not involved" will be able to qualify.

ReputationRep:
    Vieira would be a backward step for Arsenal, IMO. He'll probably end up at Real anyway and I can see Milan signing Buffon and Zambrotta

ReputationRep:
    well i guess we will see what the verdict is at 18.00 ! personally i hope they all get relegated (unlikely) and loads of players come to the premiership...helping to close the gap on Chelsea !
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Yeah Andy Gray And Martin Tyler are by far the best, and most of the other sky commentators are good as well.

I thought Southgate was dreadful, i liked Big Ron when he commentated, John Champion isn't that bad nor was Barry Davies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    I concur.
    oooooooooooooooh you beauty

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea will be the one purchasing them all!

I think Buffon is Italan through and through and is unlikely to move abroad.
    I think Vieira would still be good for Arsenal for another 2 years, but as you say its most unlikely to happen.

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed that they dont end up in chelsea. But abrahamovich won't sign a player without spending loads of cash :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey...It isnt going to be a case of sticking Trezeguet, Cannavaro, Gatusso, Kaka and co on eBay and having a bidding war between clubs!!

I very much doubt anybody will get relegated from the divisions except juve - i feel that Ac milan and Fiorentina will get definite point deductions for next season in serie A - And both may possibly be chucked out of the champions league at the expense of Roma and Livorno, possibly. Lazio will be found not guilty and the severe punishment will be handed to Juve - Thats my prediction anyway....but hey, what do i know! I certainly dont think that just because italy won the world cup, the 4 teams should get reduced penalties! that wud b a total travesty in my opinion!! Anyway....the final hearing and the case results are revealed 2nite at 6.00pm bst!! Whooo...cant wait....i wonder if everton will get del piero?? (Okay, ill wake up now)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Chelsea will be the one purchasing them all!
    Cannavaro, Zambrotta and Kaka will do nicely. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but NDG, even you must acknowledge that if Chelsea get too strong, PREMIERSHIP=BORING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Yeah but NDG, even you must acknowledge that if Chelsea get too strong, PREMIERSHIP=BORING
    It has always been boring to an extent. That's why I sometimes watch Championship football, or different sports completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Republic)
    New FIFA anti-racism rulings that took effect in March suggest Italy’s victory on Sunday could be reversed by disqualification.

What Materazzi said to Zidane to cause the French captain to head-butt Materazzi in reply in the World Cup final may have repercussions that go well beyond Materazzi.

On March 16 of this year, FIFA, the world football governing body, issued a declaration revising article 55 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code. Paragraph 4 now reads: “If any player, association or club official or spectator perpetrates any kind of discriminatory or contemptuous act as described by paragraphs 1 and/or 2 of this article, three points will automatically be deducted from the team concerned, if identifiable, after the first offence. In the case of a second offence, six points will automatically be deducted, and for a further offence, the team will be relegated.”

And, most ominously for the events of July 9, the code says, “In the case of matches without points, the team concerned, if identifiable, will be disqualified.” The World Cup final game is a match without points.

Paragraph 1 of the revised code describes acts of racism as when anyone “disparages, discriminates against or denigrates someone in a defamatory manner on account of race, colour, language, religion or ethnic origin, or perpetrates any other discriminatory and/or contemptuous act.”

The code goes on to stipulate that “The confederations and associations are obliged to incorporate the provisions of this article in their disciplinary code and statutes and to enforce the sanctions stipulated.” Presumably, FIFA itself is under the same obligation. In a press conference after the announcement, FIFA president Joseph S. Blatter said the new rules would apply to this years World Cup tournament. The theme of this years World Cup was anti-racism.

If Materazzi issued a racist epithet to Zidane, FIFA, by its own rulings issued earlier this year, may have no choice but to disqualify Italy from the World Cup final game. In such an event, Italy would presumably be stripped of the World Cup.

Materazzi has admitted to insulting Zidane, but has claimed he did not call him a terrorist, as some lip-readers of the game’s video have claimed. Zidane, a Muslim, was born in Marsaille, France, to Algerian parents. Zidane’s agent Alain Migliaccio told BBC that Zidane “told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what.” His agent has said Zidane will speak about the incident in the next few days. FIFA has announced it is investigating Zidane’s head-butt and Materazzi’s comments that led to it.

The Times newspaper of London employed an expert lip-reader who has testified in court in the past to examine high-definition video of the incident from several angles. Jessica Rees is reported to have concluded that Materazzi said, in Italian, "Figlio d'una putana terrorista," which translates as "Son of a terrorist whore." Materazzi has denied this, saying "I'm ignorant. I don't even know what the word means."
    (The rules if you wish to read them: http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...y%2520Code.pdf)

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    It's practically difficult to reverse a match result in a situation like this.

ReputationRep:
    Now that's interesting; I can't wait to see how all this eventually pans out.

Although I doubt things would deteriorate to such an extent. Disqualifying Italy from the Finals would have far more repercussions then what it would seem like on the surface.

ReputationRep:
    There's strong evidence that Materazzi abused Zidane, made derogatory comments about his sister and/or mother...

I personally think (i'm not the only one either) Materazzi is lying. He says he doesn't even understand what a terrorist is, what terrorism, muslim fundamentalism et al, are....then he jokingly calls his little daughter a 'terrorist' - in the "she's a little terror" sense...

Good one Materazzi, of course you don't know what a terrorist is and didn't dish out horrible abuse to Zidane :rolleyes:

I'm not sure the truth will out, the hardest of hard fact....if it does, i still can't see how FIFA could even possibly contemplate disqualifying Italy from the World Cup, and bankrupt them of the title. I just can't see it - it'd be such a monumental decision, so much court case/laws...probably not worth all the hassle. Sure, there's racism in the game, different types of abuses dished out to oppositions, but the reality is, Italy won the world cup playing football, not dishing out racism to opponents. The public largely won't be supportive if such a decision to disqualify Italy did materialize....An awful lot of teams, players, media, sets of fans et cetera, would be extremely hacked off, if all their effort, resulted towards a world cup with no 'winner'.

It won't happen and if it does, Italy will still be seen as winners of the event. I also don't feel such actions are good setting precedent for fighting racism in football. Racism is rife in particular leagues, and it needs to be wiped out from lower leagues to the top leagues, it's foolish to disqualify a team from winning the world cup on this racism basis. The team that won, Italy, won the world cup, through playing football...Zidane may well have been upset but its all 'ifs and buts' as to whether france would have won the final had he stayed on and not been sent off, due to the alleged racism...he should have been mentally stronger, finished the match, taken and scored his penalty, then kicked the living crap out of Materazzi once all players had left the pitch and entered dressing rooms....

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.