Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Get Gary O'Neil and Matty Taylor in your team, then watch your points come flooding in. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I've got Matty Taylor in my team, wish he played for Spurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    How many Liverpool supporters does it take to change a lightbulb?

none! they just moan and moan till its changed
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    I know I know, it amazes me too. But try watching Liverpool and Kewell regularly (i.e. every single game they play) from last season and then make a comment instead of reading what's in the papers eh?
    I still saw some games where he was absent which gives me the right to say he's inconsistant, try watching all the games without red tinted specs on before commenting eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byronic)
    Anybody who thinks Man UTD have a good midfield needs to have a chat with big Ferg.
    I think those people were joking, any team that sometimes has to use John O'Shea in midfield isn't going to be much of a threat in the middle of the park

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    I still saw some games where he was absent which gives me the right to say he's inconsistant, try watching all the games without red tinted specs on before commenting eh?
    Which games was he 'absent' in then?

I've been a critic of Kewell in the past, both in his Leeds days and since he's signed for us. Some of the criticism of him in a red shirt has been fair, some has been stupidly over the top. Last season his form was GOOD. He scored a couple of goals (though not enough) and gave us something that we've missed for a long time - balance. He isn't as quick or agile as he was earlier in his career but his ball retention is far, far better which helped us improve no end away from home in particular. His crossing was, on the whole, pretty good and he helped us once again become a threat on the counter. He had some pretty good performances last year although his tormenting of Del Horno and Geremi at Old Trafford in the cup sticks out the most.

My initial post was about the liverpool quartet as a whole and I still maintain it was as good as anyone's in the league. Kewell I've mentioned. Alonso's form probably dipped from his first season but his defensive duties have increased. His tackling and defensive awareness is improving rapidly. Sissoko was one of the best young players in the league last year, was shocked when he wasn't nominated for the PFA award. Our form in february ish time when he was out injured just shows the imapct he has. His distribution of the ball in the first half of the season was, at times, quite poor but it's come on leaps and bounds. I've never seen a player with his enthusiasm or engine on the field though. It's quite scary and he will only get better.

Gerrard, well what else can be said that hasn't been said before? He's spent about 75% of a season playing out of position and probably had his best season yet. All this talk of needing a right winger (Alves, Simao etc.) is valid but people are too quick to realise that Gerrard was probably the best in the league in that position last year. He doesn't take the full back on enough but his crossing from deep positions and breaking into the box from midfield is quite exception. He's shown the discipline to dominate games but also help out Finnan at right back. I've been bloody impressed.

Add to that quartet Riise who played some games at left back, again providing the balance we've lacked and being a threat with his sheer engery and determination to take players on. Now THAT'S why I think Liverpool had the best midfield in the league last year. Any midfield in which Didi Hamman can't get into (watch his performance in the cup vs United before anyone comes on and says he can't do it anymore) must be ****ing boss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    Did you hear the fella in the papers?
    "Wembley is gonna be in a different league to the Emirates Stadium"

Well stfu mate and get it built.
    You're right, Wembley has been a bit of a farce. But, judging by what it looks like now and artists impression it looks like it'll be in a league of its own compared to the souless bowls around the country - Riverside, Reekbok, Emirates, Pride Park etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of exact games but then again I dont support Liverpool and make an effort of remembering all their games but I do know that he isn't mr consistant, my mate is a Liverpool fan who wathes their games and he says the same thing although he improved immensley last year, probably due to the managers influence.

I think you make a reasonable point and obviously Gerrard can play pretty much everywhere and be GOD in my opinion, probably my favourite player in the world at the moment but his preffered position isn't on the right and although I see what you're saying he still isn't a naturally right sided player(something Liverpool have lacked, maybe Alves is the answer)

and you wont find me saying a bad word against Hamman, he's the ultimate unsung hero, just an absolutely brilliant player, and no coincidence that Liverpool turned around the CL final when he came on(also no coincidence that Kewell went off I might add)

I would say Livepool have a midfield up there with the best, in fact I dont think i've said anything against that really but I still wouldn't put it ahead of Chelsea's.

ReputationRep:
    next season it will be awesome, especially if alves comes...

................Bellamy
    ................Crouch
    Speedy........Gerrard
    .........Alonso..........Alves
    ..............Momo
    Aurelio
    .........Hyypia Carra Finnan

ReputationRep:
    Bradford City - at least I beat any Huddersfield wannabes onto the list

ReputationRep:
    and you wont find me saying a bad word against Hamman, he's the ultimate unsung hero, just an absolutely brilliant player, and no coincidence that Liverpool turned around the CL final when he came on(also no coincidence that Kewell went off I might add)
    Thats what pisses me off, silly remarks that are totally irelevant and false. We were as **** in the 20 minutes after kewell went off as we were in the 20 before. 2nd half changed because of the shape we played and having an extra body in midfield allowing Gerrard and Garcia more freedom. Finnan went off at HT and we improved also.

So yes, it is a coincidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)

................Bellamy
    ................Crouch
    Speedy........Gerrard
    ..............Momo
    Aurelio
    Now obviously Liverpool's defense is very good, but I don't think they're quite good enough to play without a goalkeeper!

ReputationRep:

................Bellamy
    ................Crouch
    Speedy........Gerrard
    ..............Momo
    Aurelio
    I'd like to see a goalkeeper in there somewhere, tbh

ReputationRep:
    ..................Cech.......... ...........

.Fereira Carvahlo Gallas Terry Cole.

........Essien Makalele Diarra.........

SWP Ballack Lampard J. Cole Kalou

.................Robben......... ..........

....Shevchenko Drogba Crespo....

Sigh if you only 18 players could play on the pitch at once.

ReputationRep:
    arsenal have best wingers.... reyes rosicky hleb ljungberg.....
    liverpool have best central midfielders.... i rate gerrrad alonso over lampard makelele... or carrick/king/davids and whoever else......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Thats what pisses me off, silly remarks that are totally irelevant and false. We were as **** in the 20 minutes after kewell went off as we were in the 20 before. 2nd half changed because of the shape we played and having an extra body in midfield allowing Gerrard and Garcia more freedom. Finnan went off at HT and we improved also.

So yes, it is a coincidence.
    you're so very delusional, but still we're guna have to agree to disagree there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil.)
    Now obviously Liverpool's defense is very good, but I don't think they're quite good enough to play without a goalkeeper!
    (Original post by kpg)
    I'd like to see a goalkeeper in there somewhere, tbh
    busted :eek:

ReputationRep:
    busted :eek:
    DAMIEN DUFF. £5MILLION. GET IN!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    you're so very delusional, but still we're guna have to agree to disagree there.
    You clearly havent understood what I said so I'll break it down for you.

You said it wasnt a co-incidence that we played better when Kewell went off.

I said it is because we didn't.

Kewell went off after 22 minutes while Liverpool were 1-0 down.

Smicer came on, after 45 minutes Liverpool were 3-0 down.

Using your logic it should be suggested that Smicer's inclusion was to the determent of the team. Clearly this is farcical. You also implied Liverpool played better because Kewell was substituted - well for the 23 minutes after his subsitution they conceeded 2 more goals.

At half time Finnan went off and Hamann came on. We played better.

Did we play better because Didi is better defensively than Gerrard or Alonso and stopped Pirlo [and hence Kaka] exerting such an influence? Yes

Did we play better because Gerrard and Garcia were given more freedom to play behind Baros and saw more of the ball? Yes.

Please tell me where I am deluded in that?

Now please tell me, in detail, how your logic makes you come out with a remark such as

"and no coincidence that Liverpool turned around the CL final when he came on(also no coincidence that Kewell went off I might add)"

Not the bit about Hamann, but the fact that somehow Kewell going off made us play better, which we didn't for the 23 minutes between his injury and half time.

Which is what I said in my previous reply.

ReputationRep:
    look who you've quoted apart from arsenal- middlesborough, bolton and derby. The only reason they're souless is that theyve got no fans and are never full. No fans means no singing means no atmosphere. Emirates will be full every game and IMO is far better than Cardiff. And what is so difficult about building a stadium. From the moment the idea was seriously thought up to kick off was 7 years. How long has it taken wembley. Much longer and its still not finished. Sure it will be great when done but thats the problem its not done. And it will such a waste because it will only be used once a month plus any music concerts which is a serious waste of money.

BTW Bergkamp is an absolute legend. Hes the reason are up there. Without Bergkamp I doubt Wenger, Vieira, Anelka, Henry, Pires and any other player would have signed. Hes the one that started the revolution and the premiership is much better for it.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.