Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    Well I don't know much about Wigan but I do know it has only been a Rugby place until money was put into the football club to buy their way up the leagues. Years ago people had hardly heard of them and now they are a premiership club and considering the championship is so hard to get out of, the clubs that buy (either on players or on high wages to attract players) their way out I don't have as much respect for.

Gem
    Wigan got bought by JJB then got promoted twice in quick succession. People prefer Wigan as newboys in the Premiership because they have little money whilst condemning Chelsea because of their riches, yet Wigan after JJB compared to Rotherham is just the same as Chelsea to Charlton Athletic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    What a classic quote from someone who still refers to woolwich Arsenal
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Wigan got bought by JJB then got promoted twice in quick succession. People prefer Wigan as newboys in the Premiership because they have little money whilst condemning Chelsea because of their riches, yet Wigan after JJB compared to Rotherham is just the same as Chelsea to Charlton Athletic.
    Correct.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    the wigan players are cool though, and all chelsea's are *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zertrudetrout)
    the wigan players are cool though, and all chelsea's are *****
    Awwwww.

ReputationRep:
    ****in amazing book btw! I'm half way through! Quality stuff. Really emotionally gripping. Recommend it to everyone! Even you don't like football... one of the best reads i've had in ages and i aint near finishin yet. Garrincha, best ever? ...Quite possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I plead ignorance sorry, I have never heard of the guy. What period did he play in and for what club(s)?

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrincha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    I plead ignorance sorry, I have never heard of the guy. What period did he play in and for what club(s)?
    He started the Brazilian domination of football. Pretty much single handedly winning Brazil's first 2 World Cups.

ReputationRep:
    Like this quote "Pelé was the best but Garrincha was better. Pelé was a machine, Garrincha was an artist."

He had 3 goals in 'the top 50 world cup goals ever' shown today. =)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, ive just finished reading Alex Bellos`s book ´futebol´, needless to say but i will do, its about culture of brazilian football and it touches upon garrincha, a chapter regarding him. According to the book, sure, he had these crazy looking legs, some people labelled him a re.tard for the look of his odd shaped legs, yet he did beautiful things with a football, BUT, off the pitch Garrancha was said to have had many extra maritals, many children, some of whom who knew nothing about and didnt bother with, didnt support with money, quite the womanist, treating women as mere objects....basically Bellos paints him as quite the ******* off the pitch...so masturbating over the fella as a legend on and off the pitch, dont count your chickens....

ReputationRep:
    Dude, that's the whole point about him, he payed for his lifestyle dying at 49! You've completly missed the point. He was the original bad boy of football. He life was just so amazing... never said it was a standard to set to children. Go clean the dishes you feminist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    Dude, that's the whole point about him, he payed for his lifestyle dying at 49! You've completly missed the point. He was the original bad boy of football. He life was just so amazing... never said it was a standard to set to children. Go clean the dishes you feminist.
    dont ever call me a ****ing feminist again, you prick.

That`s the last thing i am or ever will be. I don`t respect anyone who shags around and doesnt know whether he has a son here or a daughter there, and when he does know, he doesnt give a **** about them and doesnt see them enough or help finance their lives...judging by Bellos`s account in his book `futebol`, garrancha comes across as a complete and utter ******* off the field of play, so why the **** should i hero worship him for this? Having this opinion doesnt make me a feminist, you prick.

and if you happened to neg rep me, go **** yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_watson87)
    Dude, that's the whole point about him, he payed for his lifestyle dying at 49! You've completly missed the point. He was the original bad boy of football. He life was just so amazing... never said it was a standard to set to children. .
    Spot on.

Cliched, but he was another flawed genius. Best was addicted to alcohol, Garrincha was a womaniser. He had a fling with one of Brazil's most famous singers of that time. Nobody is condoning this or that, but his life was as enigmatic as his dribbling. Going from crippled 'tard to one of the most adored men in your country, doesn't happen everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Spot on.

Cliched, but he was another flawed genius. Best was addicted to alcohol, Garrincha was a womaniser. He had a fling with one of Brazil's most famous singers of that time. Nobody is condoning this or that, but his life was as enigmatic as his dribbling. Going from crippled 'tard to one of the most adored men in your country, doesn't happen everyday.
    i just knew this ridiculous comparison would spring up...

you cant compare the two to strong extents off the field, sure, both wild boys, but judging by Bellos`s account of Garrincha, he was far more a wild boy and womaniser than Best, and the implications of Garrinchas womanising actions far more significant than Bests....Garrincha had kids he didnt know existed, didnt finance their lives...rarely communicated with them...some of his kids died young, another died, alleged to have been in a car crash at age of middling 20s...for want of a better description, Garrincha led an absolute car crash, ooops sorry (car crash...) of a life. Compare Garrincha off the field to Best, and Best comes across as a choir boy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    i just knew this ridiculous comparison would spring up...

you cant compare the two to strong extents off the field, sure, both wild boys, but judging by Bellos`s account of Garrincha, he was far more a wild boy and womaniser than Best, and the implications of Garrinchas womanising actions far more significant than Bests....Garrincha had kids he didnt know existed, didnt finance their lives...rarely communicated with them...some of his kids died young, another died, alleged to have been in a car crash at age of middling 20s...for want of a better description, Garrincha led an absolute car crash, ooops sorry (car crash...) of a life. Compare Garrincha off the field to Best, and Best comes across as a choir boy...
    Well done, you read a chapter in a book. This topic has obviously touched a raw nerve, so much so that you decide to act like a maniac and abusively flame people, so again I'll re-iterate that I'm not condoning his womanising. What I will say is that Garrincha's life was as extraordinary as his style of football. If his life wasn't interesting there wouldn't have been as many documentarys, films, books, or even chapters within books about him.

Garrincha led an absolute car crash, ooops sorry (car crash...) of a life
    I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Well done, you read a chapter in a book. This topic has obviously touched a raw nerve, so much so that you decide to act like a maniac and abusively flame people, so again I'll re-iterate that I'm not condoning his womanising. What I will say is that Garrincha's life was as extraordinary as his style of football. If his life wasn't interesting there wouldn't have been as many documentarys, films, books, or even chapters within books about him.

I don't get it.
    you two are like two peas in a pod.....a pod resembling the greatest of stupidity.

Car crash, i had just mentioned that his son had died in a car crash, either a car crash or a motorcycle accident, i then went on to say, Garranchas life was like a car crash, full of incident, and many not so pleasant incidents. You`re slow on the uptake arent you.

I will flame people when they label me a feminist, the guy, the OP, was downright aggressive in his post towards me, and my post in no way warranted aggression and the tone of his post he directed towards me and my comments...he was the one abusively flaming and acting like a maniac.

I suggest you start reading through threads and posts more thoroughly to get a grasp of what is being posted, and the nature of the posting. Then come back to me, and inform me as to who initiated this so called `flaming´ and `maniac` behaviour...

ReputationRep:
    lol

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.