3. Football Zone
    4. Football Heaven
    5. Football Fury

ReputationRep:
    *Football Forum* - with asterisks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Hello....

You initiated the discussion regarding a 'mis-use' of language, not I. This basis of initiation puts you in a position of hypocrisy. In a previous post, i mentioned that my spelling is OFTEN excellent. Yours, on the other hand, has been littered (certainly a littering in comparison to my own) with spelling mistakes. I have never professed to be virginal when it comes to committing spelling errors, whereas you instigated the discussion of a 'mis-use' of language, which you are truly emblematic of yourself. So you contradict yourself. By all means, complain only when you are the wholly innocent party, till then, avoid being so absolutist as it restricts your later freedoms to be less pedantic with the language, errors committed, and you don't look so foolish when not in this self-imposed contradictory position. Irrespective of the/your 'consciousness' of a spelling mistake, it is nevertheless a mis-use of the english language, don't go spinning things again.
    There is no substance to this, therefore it's pretentious twaddle. Instead of trying to hide behind silly words and phrases, why don't you deal with the issues directly instead of going round the houses? I didn't contradict myself; you just assumed or distorted my use of the word 'mis-use' to mean 'bad spelling' which is ridiculous. This is why I asked you to write comments underneath the corresponding paragraph in my last post, but you choose to ignore.

You don't know what 'misuse' means, let alone what I meant by it, so you make up your own definition. If you think typos and spelling mistakes are misusing something, try to think of misuse as a conscious decision and get back to me. repeated swearing and using words like masturbate in awkward contexts is a conscious choice. Typos are not. I've told you what i meant by the word but you choose to ignore...

Derfinitions of misuse:

'improper or excessive use'- ie your expletives and your 'masturbate' phrase.

'pervert: change the inherent purpose or function of something'- ie your masturbate phrase.

Tell me how you can get spelling mistakes from these definitions???

I have provided explanations regarding a disproportionality of response...and my position will not change on this, my position being that i will not further explain the explained....a recurring theme in this thread it seems.

Your initial response and this good 'barometer', dear oh dear klins, you get worse. I have explained my language, my position on your perceived disproportionality. Regarding initial responses being defined on this 'good barometer' basis....akin to first impressions made of people, they rarely paint the picture, provide a shallow account (i will engage with shallowness in a brief moment)...akin to my first post and posts following, i have explained my position, gone into greater depths and provided you with explanations, unfortunately ones i'm having to repeat for repeat sakes....
    They are indicative of your feelings at the time. You were very angry at being called a feminist as if it was the worst thing somebody could have said to you.

You regret your swearing, which I have given you credit for.

I quote you:

"So much so, that you forgot, or failed to realise, that fighting objectification is intrinsically linked to feminism"

^^^^^ And where have i mentioned this or could possibly have even lent you to a construction of this opinion??? You"re telling porkies.
    Until now you havn't explicitly acknowledged that feminism and fighting objectification are linked, so at last we're getting somewhere.

As i have previously discussed, there are many issues in feminism, objectification, equal pay issues, sex discrimination when it comes to job interview success, arguably a disproportionate number of women in house of commons and lords, and so on. I have never forgotten, failed or realized, that fighting objectification is intrinsically linked to feminism. Ive always maintained it is so, and to be one of many issues, and my perspectives on womens issues are rather shallow, and not particularly strong - not strong enough to come to be labelled a feminist by the OP....anyway, i have explained this numerous occasions previously.
    I'll put it really simply. Fighting objectification is a constituent of feminism, therefore you partly beleive in gender equality (feminism). You wish never to be called a feminist 'ever again', that's the 'last thing I am or ever will be'. But it's not the last thing you are. You saying this basically shows you didn't know what feminism meant, and you consequently contradicted yourself.

So I take it you don't believe that women doing exactly the same job as men should be paid less? I take it you believe there shouldn't be more women in parliament? I take it you believe women should be discriminated against in job interviews. I take it you believe in nothing that promotes women to an equal level to men. I take it you feel women should stay at home and wash the dishes, not work, and be footstalls for men? But you definately believe in fighting objectification (here is the contradiction), and there's no other facet of gender equality you believe in? The fact is that unless you are in some sort of middle-age timewarp there are other things apart from fighting objectification that you must beleive in. If you only beleived in fighting objectification, but didn't agree with any other gender equality issues, there is an inherent contradiction. e.g. you hope women are discriminated against in job interviews, but you disagree with objectification. I've tried to put it as simply as possible for you, so hopefully I'll get a response on this specific point.

In one of your posts, you mentioned, something along the lines, "i"ll have a good laugh about this in d & d". I would say this is pretty arrogant a comment and strongly suggestive of your professing a superiority.
    As opposed to ''Ive dismissed your `arguments` will absolute ease and i see no point in this thread being bent any further than it has already. I`m off for the night, mainly to read some feminist literature before i go to bed. You`re both full of crap''

''you`re deliberately, obviously, mistaking my superior debating skills (evidently demonstrated on this thread) for your alleged `worming out of arguments being raised''

''you two are like two peas in a pod.....a pod resembling the greatest of stupidity.''

''and im pretty disappointed with the nature of your arguments, the quality of them, how you convey them,''

''I feel i have exposed your points, with plentiful weakness. You continue to maintain that i have supplied material that has done most things to the contrary...we're not getting anywhere, and i blame this on you and your inability to digest and appreciate the excellent arguments i provide''

:rolleyes:

I said ''Boasting about your superiority, that's a new one lol. I'm going to have to use that over at D&D next time . People must be laughing, because i certainly am.'' Self-proclaimed superiority is something that doesn't happen in debating. Imagine saying ''you`re deliberately, obviously, mistaking my superior debating skills (evidently demonstrated on this thread)'' in a debate at your school or college. It doesn't happen, you'd get heckled off stage if you tried so why is this any different. It's childish.

One or two posts back, i mentioned that i was travelling and maybe it would take some time to get to a computer, then i would answer your 'concerns'. I have answered the post following my discussion of this, but feel tempted to disregard/dismiss any of your possible future posts (only in the sense that i won't write a response, i will read a future post you may come to post, as you'll have invested time and effort into it, not to mention a ridiculous elongation)....please feel free to respond to this last post of mine nevertheless). I feel i have exposed your points, with plentiful weakness. You continue to maintain that i have supplied material that has done most things to the contrary...we're not getting anywhere, and i blame this on you and your inability to digest and appreciate the excellent arguments i provide - we're at loggerhands, and neither of us are moving from our stances, so my envisaged elongation of this thread, well, it will be fruitless, only acting as a confirmation to how we each feel, and will be rendered a fruitless exercise.

I'm simply astounded that you continue to wilfully elongate your responses to all of the simplified explanations (and explanations of explanations) i provide...I've provided you with sufficient explanatory material for you not to be in a position of asking me for answers, but d'accord, you will continue in your disagreement with this too...
    You've addressed less than half of my points. Your bulk posts ignore the points I make. You swear, slander, use pretentious language with no substance and behave childishly. If you decide to change your mind and make another post in this thread, please could you actually address each of my points individually so as not to ignore half of them.

ReputationRep:
    guys if you look at my profile u can see that theres like an utd banner. if anyone else wants one for their club to put on their profile or just for saving on their pcs. Ask me and i will upload it for ya.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got one for blackburn?

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Lopez will be around any more to follow through with his generous offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    Call it 'Gunnersbury'; Noone else matters
    Yes I realise that west London owns north London...:p:

'Oi, Ref!'

ReputationRep:
    A little late I know, but it was a nice testimonial. Shame Wrighty didn't score, but it was great to see all my old favourites back again... All the players from my young gunner days! And Van Basten, what an amazing effort for him and cruyff, though VB was the only one who could seriously play it about I think, and that shot. Lol, I loved it, especially Gilles' grim challenge on Davids, made me chuckle.

Emirates looks abolsutely immense and I'm glad Bergy was afforded the honour of having his last match there, I saw him in his first match and from then to now, he has been amazing. Good luck Dennis and thanks for everything!

ReputationRep:
    remember that goal he scored in '98 vs Argentina?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    A little late I know, but it was a nice testimonial. Shame Wrighty didn't score, but it was great to see all my old favourites back again... All the players from my young gunner days! And Van Basten, what an amazing effort for him and cruyff, though VB was the only one who could seriously play it about I think, and that shot. Lol, I loved it, especially Gilles' grim challenge on Davids, made me chuckle.

Emirates looks abolsutely immense and I'm glad Bergy was afforded the honour of having his last match there, I saw him in his first match and from then to now, he has been amazing. Good luck Dennis and thanks for everything!
    You were there? :eek:!!! , I was there too . My next game is prob going to be the middlesborough one (hopefully) or the home CL qualifier game

ReputationRep:
    i just watched his and henry 100 goals dvd, he truly is a legend.

ReputationRep:
    I'm watching Arsenal Newcastle at St. James's next year! Since I go uni in durham!

ReputationRep:
    absolute ruddy genius.......remember that world cup side footed slice of magic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottnoplot)
    Hey, one of my new theorys for fantasy footy is to fill your team with penalty, free kick and corner takers. as they will get a lot of assist and a few more goals.
    so do you guys know who takes them for each club ?

Hopefully this will not only help me to get points next year, but help all other fantasy league fans

cheers
    Just noticed this thread, thought I would share what I know regarding penalty takers:

Arsenal- Henry
    Aston Villa- Baros
    Blackburn- Neill/Savage
    Bolton- Speed
    Charlton- D Bent
    Chelsea- Lampard
    Everton- Beattie
    Fulham- Helguson
    Liverpool- Gerarrd
    Man City- Barton
    Man United- Saha? Scholes? Ronaldo? Rooney?
    Middlesborough- Yakubu
    Newcastle- Ameobi/Luque? (Owen when fit )
    Portsmouth- Taylor/Lua Lua
    Reading- ?
    Sheffield United- ?
    Spurs- Keane
    Watford- King
    West Ham- Harewood
    Wigan- ?

Don't see your name in the Fantasy League sticky thread Scottnoplot, have you got a team?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.