Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    i remember a few years ago it was arsenal vs newcastle on prem plus. i had a bit of money and so paid £8 to watch the game on sky. dad said nothing would happen. bergy did that spinny thing and put the ball in the back of the net!!!!! YEHHHHHHHHH. Worth £8!
    Also, i went to highbury for 1st time last season and it was den bergkamp day! i can now say that i saw den bergkamp's last goal at highbury, how :cool: is that!
    den was a proper role model to kids, great skill and awareness and kept himself quiet off the pitch - young bergys take note!

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to double the number of Watford supporters

ReputationRep:
    As the thread title says, I think we need EXPLICIT guidelines in the football forum. Dan + Cindy ALWAYS seem to get upset about the threads people make. Also, before anyone mentions it, YES I know that there is already a thread talking about "thread making" but it is not very specific, all it says is the use the UF thread and not to make Zidane threads. All I'm suggested is that someone makes thread making/general guidelines of what they want to see and what they don't want to see, make the thread title explicit like *****GUIDELINES!!! READ BEFORE POSTING*****
    It will def save dan from early depression, because he seems to be the one who cries about it all the time..

Feel free to flame now

+ instead of locking threads and causing clutter, why dont they just sling all the unacceptable threads in bad threads? :s:

ReputationRep:
    They might want people to see the locked threads, and maybe get the gist of what material should be where.

But it doesn't work. I found myself scratching my head when wanting to make the Pascal Cygan thread.

ReputationRep:
    Good point! They might want to do that, but I don't think that'll get the message across, it just causes confusion, just like what you are facing :p:..

On the side line, we can talk about Pascal Cygan in our Arsenal thread :five:, and Johan Djourou (sp??)

ReputationRep:
    Dude, search for my threads and look at the Cygan video if you haven't. Must be seen.

And just to make it clear, yes, I think we should have proper guidelines. Cos it'll give everyone less of a headache

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    Dude, search for my threads and look at the Cygan video if you haven't. Must be seen.

And just to make it clear, yes, I think we should have proper guidelines. Cos it'll give everyone less of a headache
    :yy:!!!
    I will do a search , just when I get back from my dreadful 2 hour meeting, talking about what not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    Good point! They might want to do that, but I don't think that'll get the message across, it just causes confusion, just like what you are facing :p:..

On the side line, we can talk about Pascal Cygan in our Arsenal thread :five:, and Johan Djourou (sp??)
    I could merge it with the Arsenal one!! :rolleyes:

So you want guidelines, okay off the cuff, here goes, though they are not written in turf

Please search and see if a similiar thread has been made.
    Do not start a new thread when the discussion can be made in a relevant thread.

For example

Jose Mourinho signs another player. This could be put in the All things Chelsea thread.

Polls - we had a spree of folk making a poll just because they could. I don't mind polls, honest I don't, but they need to have a point to them and a close date as the thread could be used for uncontrolled spamming. Now I know nobody does that in there. Do you? :p:

TBH you never had guidelines before and were, I thought happy with the way I moderated in there. So what has changed?

EDIT: MOVED TO FOOTBALL FOR MORE FEEDBACK.

ReputationRep:
    Our beloved football forum is being polluted by rubbish

Think of it this way. Why on earth would people go to the trouble to create individual threads for each team, only for other people to go posting new threads about things that could easily go into one of the team threads?

Why people don't use the UFT I will never know, but if you're all going to continue to not use it, at least keep relevant chat in the individual team's threads.

On one page now I can see one thread each for the following things:

Lampard/Carrick/Cygan/Henry/Arsenal 2006/07/Man U Tickets/Bergkamp/

But we already have threads for Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal, so there's no need for people to keep making threads such as these.

Keep it all in the relevant threads and we'll all be happy :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, as an Arsenal fan I very rarely visit the Chelsea or Liverpool (etc) thread. So if there is a discussion about a possible transfer, the audience will be mostly limited to Chelsea fans if it's in the Chelsea thread, whereas I would probably post if there was a separate thread for it. So I think people make new threads in order to get a bigger coverage. And the UFT is just too general. It's difficult to get an interesting and definite discussion going.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i agree with reloaded! Whats your problem Dan. U have a view on something so you asume everyone else shares that. Listen to the people and stop closing threads willy nilly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reloaded)
    The thing is, as an Arsenal fan I very rarely visit the Chelsea or Liverpool (etc) thread. So if there is a discussion about a possible transfer, the audience will be mostly limited to Chelsea fans if it's in the Chelsea thread, whereas I would probably post if there was a separate thread for it. So I think people make new threads in order to get a bigger coverage. And the UFT is just too general. It's difficult to get an interesting and definite discussion going.
    Which is why football topics should go in the UFT, and this is the place you should go to check out what's happening regarding football transfers, news etc.

I think people need to stop whinging about threads being made in the Football forum. The old UFT was brilliant, and nobody had problems with discussions in there, or with checking it daily for the latest news. Stop being so bloody lazy and use it like we've been asking for the past month of so.

(Original post by dimexi)
    Meh,! I was only suggesting you know! I just think the way threads get locked and pushed around can get annoying sometimes..

We can't post everything in the UFT you know, because some convos just get drowned in there sometimes (I guess).

I thought big threads were a problem on TSR anyway? I guess that has changed?
    We're not asking for everything to go in the UFT, otherwise we'd have closed all of the individual club threads, wouldn't we? Big threads aren't a problem on TSR, maybe a year ago, but not any more! I understand people saying that they can't find stuff sometimes, but if we all got in the habit of checking the UFT regularly (like we all use to do and have no problems with) then everybody would like this forum more and it'd be a lot easier to use!

ReputationRep:
    Meh,! I was only suggesting you know! I just think the way threads get locked and pushed around can get annoying sometimes..

We can't post everything in the UFT you know, because some convos just get drowned in there sometimes (I guess).

I thought big threads were a problem on TSR anyway? I guess that has changed?

ReputationRep:
    Right, let's have everybodies opinions here...

We can either:
    a) Get rid of the individual club threads and start using the UFT more.
    b) Keep the individual club threads, cut out the nonsense threads and use the UFT more.
    [SILLY]
    c) Start a thread for every team in the UK, and also a thread for every player ever to play in England.
    d) Create a subforum for every country in the world, and divide these threads into teams/players.
    [/SILLY]

IMO numbers 1/2 are the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Right, let's have everybodies opinions here...

We can either:
    a) Get rid of the individual club threads and start using the UFT more.
    b) Keep the individual club threads, cut out the nonsense threads and use the UFT more.
    [SILLY]
    c) Start a thread for every team in the UK, and also a thread for every player ever to play in England.
    d) Create a subforum for every country in the world, and divide these threads into teams/players.
    [/SILLY]

IMO numbers 1/2 are the best
    :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I was just about to create a thread in AAM asking for any doubt to be cleared, and was gonna suggest number one! Lolz!

Anyway, why? Because before when we had UFT1, it was so simple. Everyone posted there, and everyone knew what was going on in there anyway. Maybe the second option needs to be looked at though, since we have far more people than back then, and hence more discussions may be missed while you're offline. The only problem with option 2 is you can't have a thread for everyone (which would venture into option 3..the stupid one), so UFT2 may still get clogged up with many impossible-to-track discussions.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't really get, is why we have the separate football forum if threads end up being closed as they should have been in one of the few existing threads.

Keep the club threads (especialy as some of them are now soc threads), allow other threads, for example on a specific player if they are a transfer target for several clubs (saves it being missed if placed in eg Arsenal thread by a Chelsea fan who may not visit the other thread), or big talking points within the game (English players overpriced, standard of reffing, Chelsea's money possibly ruining the game), and save the UFT for other general football chit chat.

Just seems daft to keep shoving the majority of the football talk in to UFT, especially when it can become slightly confusing, when there's a whole forum for it...

ReputationRep:
    As a new reader of the TSR football subforum, I've found that the UFT is often difficult to read. I'm sure you're all used to the 'catch-up reading' whenever you log onto TSR after your last visit. With the UFT this pretty much means reading through pages and pages of stuff, not all of which I'm interested in. I agree that specific club threads are a clever idea so that we don't have 15 Man Utd. threads every couple of days. But having an 'Ultimate Football Thread' in 'Football' forum seems a bit pointless.

I was enjoying reading a now closed thread about players who will make an impact this year in the Premiership. If this was started in the UFT, it'd probably be among a whole load of other conversations going on at the same time, making for some confusing reading. Sorry if I'm posting a whole load of crap, but I've only been reading a while.

Provided people use the search function before posting, I think the forum won't get too cluttered.

ReputationRep:
    Get rid of the club threads, they're useless. And maybe the UFT as well, seems a bit pointless having a general thread about football in a whole forum dedicated to....football.

ReputationRep:
    Just my two cents. If a few of the oldies cast their minds back they may remember me. I haven't posted in this forum for probably a year or so, when I used to post in it all the time. I just lost interest.

Looking at the first page of this forum, about 10 of the started threads have been locked. That's just ridiculous. Okay, so they're about football and there's a football thread, but so what? It's a football forum, and starting a new thread on a particular topic isn't a crime.

Why should the only two options be get rid of individual club threads, using UFT more, and have more club threads? Why can't there be an option for giving forummers the power to make their own decision and decide if they want their post as a new topic or in the UFT?

If I don't like the look of a topic I won't open it. It does me no harm. I stopped coming on here because if I wanted a chat about football I'd have to wade through 10 or more pages on the UFT, most of which would be off on tangents, and too 'chatty' for enjoyable debate. I'd say something on a topic and then the first 10 replies would be on the topic that was discussed previously. The UFT is useful but it's too cluttered and popular and all-covering to be conducive to proper debate. I think it's ridiculous that adults should have to look at a set of rules to deduce whether they're 'allowed' to make a sensible post.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.