Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what the huge issue is with all of the topics. If it's a matter of space, why don't you just delete some of the latter pages out of the 28 in the archive.

ReputationRep:
    Cindy rocks. As does Dan, but to an understandably less extent because he is a bluenose. So stop whining and do what they say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christo)
    As a new reader of the TSR football subforum, I've found that the UFT is often difficult to read. I'm sure you're all used to the 'catch-up reading' whenever you log onto TSR after your last visit. With the UFT this pretty much means reading through pages and pages of stuff, not all of which I'm interested in. I agree that specific club threads are a clever idea so that we don't have 15 Man Utd. threads every couple of days. But having an 'Ultimate Football Thread' in 'Football' forum seems a bit pointless.

I was enjoying reading a now closed thread about players who will make an impact this year in the Premiership. If this was started in the UFT, it'd probably be among a whole load of other conversations going on at the same time, making for some confusing reading. Sorry if I'm posting a whole load of crap, but I've only been reading a while.

Provided people use the search function before posting, I think the forum won't get too cluttered.
    I thought it was really harsh that they decided to clos my thread down. Seems pointless to have a football forum, when your only allowed the maximum of 6 threads.

ReputationRep:
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhm cindy what did i tell ya?

closing threads just ain't what people want. and we the people make this website!

ReputationRep:
    Im amazed this thread has not been merged with "Notice re: thread making - "

just as a chat gets going its sythed down and merged.

Just an idea but would it be worth having sub-forums for Internationals, European Club, Prem, Championship, Football league, Scotland or something, so that folk could go straight into the sub-forums they may be interested in.

Yes it may be great to extend the uft, but why should someone need to post a topic about Shrewsbury towns chances in the play-offs in the middle of others chatting about how great pele was or Arsenals new signing.

Anyway, its just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    as far as i was aware, UFT takes all the day to day humdrum of the pre. LLFT takes the rest of it. big club threads take big club stuff. stuff for general readage that should be left in the forum, ie, impact players, players injuries, whose da best innit, facup get left in the footy forum.

when footy forum threads degenerate they either get closed or merged with UFT, LLFT. thats the way its always been i think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    as far as i was aware, UFT takes all the day to day humdrum of the pre. LLFT takes the rest of it. big club threads take big club stuff. stuff for general readage that should be left in the forum, ie, impact players, players injuries, whose da best innit, facup get left in the footy forum.

when footy forum threads degenerate they either get closed or merged with UFT, LLFT. thats the way its always been i think.
    I see,

but where does international football go (inc world cup euro quals etc)? Also Scottish football?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan)
    Right, let's have everybodies opinions here...

We can either:
    a) Get rid of the individual club threads and start using the UFT more.
    b) Keep the individual club threads, cut out the nonsense threads and use the UFT more.
    [SILLY]
    c) Start a thread for every team in the UK, and also a thread for every player ever to play in England.
    d) Create a subforum for every country in the world, and divide these threads into teams/players.
    [/SILLY]

IMO numbers 1/2 are the best
    Thanks for opening the thread again, :yy:!!!

I like number 2

ReputationRep:
    Cindy rocks. As does Dan, but to an understandably less extent because he is a bluenose. So stop whining and do what they say!
    :rolleyes:, people are entitled to their opinion, I'm sure the mods agree to that hence they are open to suggestion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    :rolleyes:, people are entitled to their opinion, I'm sure the mods agree to that hence they are open to suggestion
    Yeh. I was showing solidarity in Cindy - she's awesome - and Dan. But yeh, this forum does look a tad overmoderated...

I think there's been a shifting change in attitude towards UFT, mostly with regards to the separate Footie forum created yonks ago. Before, everything was generally kept to that one thread, and the forum was left to its own devices, with LH and Xenon doing the odd bit of pruning. Back then, there weren't many of us, and we knew that to avoid overtaking the Sports forum most things would be kept to the Ultimate Football Thread. Clearly, that's no longer the case.

Now we have tons of separate 'team' threads, yet little use of the UFT and not much in the way of inter-club discussion as there used to be. There are reasons: the "Jose Mourinho rapes children" brigade, "The Peoples' Club" brigade etc. It's killed the place off a bit, tbh though, not helped when threads that would be interesting to discuss openly are locked/chucked into the Spurs thread/whatever - the recent Carrick thread, imo, should not have been locked. I could read and post in the Manc Soc, but doing so feels a little uncomfortable as a Red.

If anything, both members (and mods!) should use a little discretion as to what belongs where. An effort should be made by all to maintain the UFT too - that's where the Footie Forum community came from in the first place. If it were up to me I'd get rid of the separate club threads, as I feel this place should be a board for comprehensive, intelligent discussion rather than what it's becoming.

Might also get rid of the silly ***** who should bugger off back to the BBC boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Might also get rid of the silly ***** who should bugger off back to the BBC boards.
    Oh - you noticed them too... They arent all bad tho

ReputationRep:
    Yeh. I was showing solidarity in Cindy - she's awesome - and Dan. But yeh, this forum does look a tad overmoderated...
    yeah, agreed! I'm not belittling their job in anyway, but like you said, I thought it was becoming a tad bit overmoderated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    Just my two cents. If a few of the oldies cast their minds back they may remember me. I haven't posted in this forum for probably a year or so, when I used to post in it all the time. I just lost interest.

Looking at the first page of this forum, about 10 of the started threads have been locked. That's just ridiculous. Okay, so they're about football and there's a football thread, but so what? It's a football forum, and starting a new thread on a particular topic isn't a crime.

Why should the only two options be get rid of individual club threads, using UFT more, and have more club threads? Why can't there be an option for giving forummers the power to make their own decision and decide if they want their post as a new topic or in the UFT?

If I don't like the look of a topic I won't open it. It does me no harm. I stopped coming on here because if I wanted a chat about football I'd have to wade through 10 or more pages on the UFT, most of which would be off on tangents, and too 'chatty' for enjoyable debate. I'd say something on a topic and then the first 10 replies would be on the topic that was discussed previously. The UFT is useful but it's too cluttered and popular and all-covering to be conducive to proper debate. I think it's ridiculous that adults should have to look at a set of rules to deduce whether they're 'allowed' to make a sensible post.
    I remember you. And I agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    yeah, agreed! I'm not belittling their job in anyway, but like you said, I thought it was becoming a tad bit overmoderated

my god having read all of your comments you seem to be very good at agreeing with moderators. you don't lick ass for a living do you?

ReputationRep:
    The reason why so many threads get closed or merged is discussion can be found in another thread.

I personally think of the UFT as a place to chat generally now as that is how it has changed. Having a football forum has opened a door to us. I think the idea of having sub forums for Internationals, European et all would divide the forum further and make discussion a lot harder and would not advocate such a change.

I like the club threads as people know where or should know that all topics related to them can be found or posted in there.

TBH I don't think my moderation style has changed from the days when we just had a sports forum to now. I am sure some of you will point out to me if it is.

Oh and hello goldenbarnes nice to see you here again. Hope you will stick around for a bit. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FK333)
    my god having read all of your comments you seem to be very good at agreeing with moderators. you don't lick ass for a living do you?
    :rolleyes:, If I agreed with them, then I would say they should keep closing all the threads and I wouldn't have even started this thread in the first place. However, I wouldn't expect you to understand anything, not much sense comes out of spurs fans

EDIT: The statement you quoted isn't even in agreement with what a mod has said! tuh!

(Original post by Cindy)
    I like the club threads as people know where or should know that all topics related to them can be found or posted in there.
    I hate the things, but yeh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FK333)
    dimexi want to be one of them...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    dimexi want to be one of them...:rolleyes:
    T.O.T.A.L.L.Y, how did you guess? :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.