Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    there's carragher and hargreaves for that. plus they are also far better in their own positions, in my opinion anyway.
    P Neville wouldn't make a tournament squad anyway, he's in because Carrick and King are missing.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon a 3-5-2 would work well with the England squad. I like the Defoe-Ashton combination. Could work as the big man in air, small man on ground:

Robinson
    Carra Terry Ferdinand
    SWP/GNev Hargreaves Gerrard Lampard A Cole
    Defoe Ashton

If not, for Ashton to be properly utilised, you'd need to have good crossers of the ball.

ReputationRep:
    I'd play attacking 3 - 5 - 2.

Robinson

Carragher, Ferdinand, Terry

Wright Philips, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Lampard, Downing

Ashton, Defoe

I've always liked 3 - 5 - 2, but you rarely see it done in an all out attacking manner.

ReputationRep:
    ---------------Robinson------------

Neville----- Ferdinand------- Terry------ Cole

------------Hargreaves---------------------
    -----------------------Carrick--------------
    ---------------Gerrard---------------------
    ----Lennon-----------------------Defoe
    -----------------Bent-------------------

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.O.S)
    ---------------Robinson------------

Neville----- Ferdinand------- Terry------ Cole

------------Hargreaves---------------------
    -----------------------Carrick--------------
    ---------------Gerrard---------------------
    ----Lennon-----------------------Defoe
    -----------------Bent-------------------
    Carrick is gonna be out for 3 weeks so he's gonna miss this match. Defoe on the left wing could leave England uncomfortably exposed on the left hand side, if Defoe has to come back to make a 5 man midfield. It's not a comfortable position for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    Robbo
    GNev Terry Dawson ACole
    Lennon Gerrard Hargreaves Downing
    Ashton Defoe
    I couldn't disagree with that. If only McClaren had the guts to leave Lampard out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaDoc)
    Carrick is gonna be out for 3 weeks so he's gonna miss this match. Defoe on the left wing could leave England uncomfortably exposed on the left hand side, if Defoe has to come back to make a 5 man midfield. It's not a comfortable position for him.
    yeah i just stuck him there as there's no one else i can think of to play that role as a LWF with joe cole injured. Downing couldn't do that role imo. possibly SWP.

I'd rather play a 4-3-3 formation as it gives us the same sort of play that Italy/ Milan/ Chelsea/ Barca have. At international level its crucial that u have a player that dictates the play like Xavi, Pirlo and Alonso, and although Carrick isn't good as there three previously mentioned he'd do a good job. (As u mentioed though he's currently injured).

ReputationRep:
    Steven Gerrard has branded Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo "a disgrace" for his part in the sending-off of Wayne Rooney in the World Cup quarter-final last month.

The new England vice-captain was furious with Ronaldo, who intervened after Rooney appeared to stamp on Portugal defender Ricardo Carvalho and then winked towards his own bench after his Red Devils team-mate had been dismissed.

Gerrard, whose autobiography is being serialised in the News of the World, wrote: "Sadly a dark side stains Cristiano Ronaldo's game. His part in Wayne Rooney's dismissal was a disgrace.

"What really (got to) all the England players was Ronaldo's wink to his bench. It was a wink which said 'job done'. How could he do that to his Manchester United team-mate?

"On the bus after the game Wayne asked me 'what do you think about the wink?'.

"'Honestly, Wazza, if we were playing Spain and Xabi Alonso or Luis Garcia winked at the referee or gave a signal for me to be sent off, I'd never speak to them again."

When Argentinian referee Horacio Elizondo halted play and then brandished a red card, Gerrard initially thought it was for a Portuguese player.

"Then to my horror I realised it was Wayne walking slowly off," the Liverpool skipper continued.

"Players like Carvalho are damaging football, not Wayne Rooney.

"It's coached into them that when an incident like that happens, they go to work on the ref.

"Ronaldo was at the front. But the blame does not just rest with him. Five or six Portuguese players were at it."

Gerrard believes England's players' cockiness in the World Cup cost them dearly.

"We are not as good as we think we are. England were guilty of over-confidence. Me and the other players constantly claimed we could win the World Cup, it was stupid."

Hes also said walcott had no right to be on the plane. I'm sorry but Gerrard is just trying to sell books with this garbage talk.

ReputationRep:
    Which particular part of the passage offends you?

ReputationRep:
    im sorry but I think the comments he made about walcott which I havent quoted are over the top. Also, the refree has stated ronaldo didnt influence him so thats rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Morgo - Steven Gerrard is a great guy, he has strong views which i support him on.

For example Theo Wallcott - What right did he have? Someone like Bent or Defoe have worked their arses off over the years to prove themselves, and then a 17yr old nobody pips them to an England place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-G)
    Morgo - Steven Gerrard is a great guy, he has strong views which i support him on.

For example Theo Wallcott - What right did he have? Someone like Bent or Defoe have worked their arses off over the years to prove themselves, and then a 17yr old nobody pips them to an England place.
    Yer walcott shouldnt have gone but thats not his fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    Yer walcott shouldnt have gone but thats not his fault.
    You just agreed with Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIzawprkcHo

O yeah steven gerrard is a very fair player... .give me a break please

That one clip shows a lot

ReputationRep:
    :p: [QUOTE=justfarhan]You just agreed with Gerrard.

i dont agree with gerrard, hes cheated many times in his career, why doesnt he write about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    im sorry but I think the comments he made about walcott which I havent quoted are over the top. Also, the refree has stated ronaldo didnt influence him so thats rubbish.
    For one, only Mamma Walcott would disagree that Theo shouldn't have been on the plane. It became very clear to the coaches in training that Walcott wasn't good enough to play at this level, and it became very clear to the rest of us that they weren't going to let Walcott play. It was ridiculous to overlook the most prolific Englishman of that season in Darren Bent, for someone of Walcott's vast inexperience.

For another, the referee wouldn't exactly say that Ronaldo did influence his thinking, or else he never would have officiated the final. He has to protect his perceived integrity.

Gerrard has in this instance not said anything too controversial for my liking (though he does have a habit of running his mouth).

I say this as a Manchester United fan.

ReputationRep:
    When you play for your country, you do your best regardless of whether the opposite player is with your club. . However, its not really that big a deal or a 'disgrace'. If Rooney was fine with it then no one has any right to say that it was a 'disgrace' even the great Steven Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    He probably has wrote about bad moments in his life, i dont doubt that!

But the papers are only going to highlight the interesting stories!

I didnt say it was Theos fault, he Sven had picked me i would have gone. Its the managers choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    :p:

i dont agree with gerrard, hes cheated many times in his career, why doesnt he write about that
    Gerrard said Walcott shouldn't have gone.

You said Walcott shouldn't have gone.

Everyone says Walcott shouldn't have gone.

Therefore, you, I and everyone else agrees with him.

ReputationRep:
    I just felt that gerrards talk was a bit annoying considering how many times hes dived

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.