Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    WIll give him a chance tho, he made the first move in Dropping Beckham, something which should of been done before the World Cup, and he picked up Ashton (I hate him for leaving Us, but he is a good player) so mayby he is starting to realise that we have to get the team chemistry right before we are going to win anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    I'm not sure mclaren is the coach who can take us to that next step.
    it seems there perhaps wasn't much consultation between Eriksson (Walcott decision out of the blue) and McClaren or simply Eriksson not listening to McClaren...i.e. did McClaren at any point prior to Eriksson's informing the country for the first time (of his selecting Walcott), know of Erikssons intentions regarding Walcott?? Maybe McClaren was guilty of not being a strong enough character and influence on Sven???!! But these are 'maybes', ifs and buts, so take with a pinch of salt...

I blame Eriksson, he was and is over-rated and he got a group of excellent club players, playing (once again) badly for the national team. Many of the players involved this summer have voiced their disagreeing with Eriksson not taking Defoe to the world cup for instance, and not playing with two strikers...

if the players had such concerns, why shouldn't they have voiced them themselves to Eriksson...these players are high profile and should surely have some say in how the team is managed....surely they have a certain player power so as to check and balance the managers, if not, influence the managerial decisions so as to get to a 'common good' position, pleasing the majority, utilitarianism as such...

ReputationRep:
    Would the wizard guy then kindly offer an explanation for Ronaldo's wink?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Would the wizard guy then kindly offer an explanation for Ronaldo's wink?
    Big deal about this wink of Ronaldo's. The reality is, Rooney stamped on a player...unfortunately for said player, it was on his genitalia.

Ok, Ronaldo prior to the same was fooling around with Rooney, teasing him, with Rooney ignoring him and laughing it off as horseplay....don't go telling me Ronaldo had any part to play in Rooney's sending off. He wasn't the one who made Rooney go and commit a red-card offence, only Rooney was in control of those actions and they weren't instigated by Ronaldo. The wink was that of a "job well done, we've got 'im off", but the reality is, Rooney was sent off, not because of any part Ronaldo played, but because he committed a red card offence in stamping on a player.

Your discussion of Ronaldo's wink is utterly pointless.

Kindly offered as requested.

ReputationRep:
    If any of those points by gerrard offent you then you really need to have another look.

With regards to the Ronaldo incident, gerrard was just putting himself in the position of wayne rooney, even though the ref did say he was not influenced by him, it's fair to say that ronaldo did do his best to get him sent off....

And with regards to the walcott comment, can i just ask who does think it was right that sven took him the world cup??

ReputationRep:
    Robinson
    Carragher Terry Cole
    | |
    V Hargreaves V

Lennon Downing
    | |
    | Lampard Gerrard |
    | |
    V Defoe Ashton V

ReputationRep:
    gay i cant get it working

ReputationRep:
    I'd start with Kirkland in goal. We learn nothing by playing Robinson.

Then either Neville brother at right-back (preferably Gary, fitness permitting), Terry of course with Ferdinand alongside (and Dawson to feature), and Ashley Cole. (Need to protect the new goalie with a good defence).

Then I'd go: Lennon, Hargreaves, Gerrard, Richardson; and finally Defoe and Crouch, with Ashton to have a half-hour.

ReputationRep:
    Richardson? Interesting.

Maybe it is time to give Kirkland a run out, Robinson (although normally I think he's fantastic) did nothing special at the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Big deal about this wink of Ronaldo's. The reality is, Rooney stamped on a player...unfortunately for said player, it was on his genitalia.

Ok, Ronaldo prior to the same was fooling around with Rooney, teasing him, with Rooney ignoring him and laughing it off as horseplay....don't go telling me Ronaldo had any part to play in Rooney's sending off. He wasn't the one who made Rooney go and commit a red-card offence, only Rooney was in control of those actions and they weren't instigated by Ronaldo. The wink was that of a "job well done, we've got 'im off", but the reality is, Rooney was sent off, not because of any part Ronaldo played, but because he committed a red card offence in stamping on a player.

Your discussion of Ronaldo's wink is utterly pointless.

Kindly offered as requested.
    Regardless of whether Rooney would have been sent off even without Ronaldo running up to the ref and telling him "that was a foul" :rolleyes: after the free kick had been awarded, what he did was still wrong. Discussion of the wink is not pointless, if it was to say "job well done, we've got 'im off" after running up to the ref and, as far as i'm concerned, trying to get Rooney sent off, then that's not exactly sportsmanlike, and it's not totally unreasonable to describe it as "disgraceful". It wasn't a case of "he stamped on my team mate, justice deserves to be done. That's a red card offence after all". The wink afterwards, to me, suggests it was more a case of "i've done my job in getting him sent off, now we can win this game with our numerical advantage". This has nothing to do with whether a player deserved to be sent off in Ronaldo's eyes, it says to me that he wanted the player off, regardless

Your discussion of whether Rooney deserved to be sent off is what's utterly pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard talking about Ronaldo is a load of crap. Get over it Stevie.

But it's good to actually see an england player taking responsibility for his performances and holding his hand up that the squad didn't play well enough. No talk of the manager, no excuses, just weren't good enough and thought they were better than they really were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Gerrard talking about Ronaldo is a load of crap. Get over it Stevie.

But it's good to actually see an england player taking responsibility for his performances and holding his hand up that the squad didn't play well enough. No talk of the manager, no excuses, just weren't good enough and thought they were better than they really were.
    He can't really leave that out of his post WC autobiography tho. Plus, conroversy sells.

True, but i don't have a problem with them saying "we can win the world cup", that's true, they could have. Although, there probably was an air of arrogance, like they deserve to win just cos they're a group of great players.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot about Kirkland, maybe that's not such a bad idea. Richardson is a decent shout as well but I'm not sure if he's got the sort of pace Downing offers.

ReputationRep:
    How can you not play David Beckham?? IS he really off the squad?

ReputationRep:
    yep
    were going for pace over precision

ReputationRep:
    how can u relate gerrards comments to the ammount of times he's dived? thats a pathetic reason to disagree with him, besides all the brill players dive as well as all the crap ones, besides hes right walcott shouldnt have gone

ReputationRep:
    Walcott: That was Sven's fault
    I don't blame rooney for stamping on Carvalho, who the hell doesn't want to stamp on him, all he does in a game is try and rip shirts off opposing players and, saddeningly, constantly gets away with it. Also, Gerrard does at least have the balls to say England weren't good enough but what narks me about the England game is that we had more, better chances to win it than Portugal but again, we went and wasted the chances and again, we got done on penalties. Oh, and Stevie, it wasn't the whole team that performed badly: i don't reckon any other defence in that tournament could have kept out the Portugese the way the England defence did and if everyone had the same heart and pride as owen hargreaves, who's to say we wouldn't have beaten em`??

ReputationRep:
    Frank Lampard should be taking more blame, after his performances at the WC. He really did let the team down, and he doesnt seem to adknowledge that!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Raspy re the performances of England's defence (apart from the last 10 against Sweden) and Owen Hargreaves, and would also add Michael Carrick's single appearance and Peter Crouch's efforts at a thankless task. Besides that, far too much criticism was sent in the way of David Beckham, whose involvement in three of England's goals is conveniently overlooked by his detractors. However I have been disappointed in Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard this World Cup, and with Gerrard for a couple of years now. Clearly the two of them cannot be a midfield partnership: either one is dropped or a third central midfielder deployed. Moving one out of position to accomodate him is not an option.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, is it just me that thinks Gerrard seems to take more pride in playing for Liverpool than his country (still a great player mind) oh and well done steve mcl in picking Terry as skipper: it was the correct choice. and i agree beckham seems to be used as a scapegoat (although, again, he wasn't good enough for the most part), and since carrick is now at united i guess i have to praise him aswell...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.