Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Mate, with all due respect - Neville: right back; Carragher: centre half. Jamie Carragher is an centre back, and being shifted out wide as an 11th hour cover is not an ideal situation in which to show your worth.

Carragher deserves his opportunity, having consistantly proved himself domestically and in Europe as an intelligent, decisive, big game player with a lot of heart. He won't get that chance. Rio has been England's top defensive performer, although embarassing for club; Terry, although woeful in recent times, is now undroppable as captain.
    Which is precisely my point Don't forget that terry saved England's blushes with that goal line clearance against T&T.

It is because of Rio and terry that I assume his best chance of getting into the team is at right back, but we know its not his best position - hargreaves played that role better than him.. and Young is a ready made replacement in that position. I am merely saying that as long as carragher is going for a place in the first XI at centre back, i can't see him getting a place.

(Original post by danglenister)
    Which is precisely my point Don't forget that terry saved England's blushes with that goal line clearance against T&T.

It is because of Rio and terry that I assume his best chance of getting into the team is at right back, but we know its not his best position - hargreaves played that role better than him.. and Young is a ready made replacement in that position. I am merely saying that as long as carragher is going for a place in the first XI at centre back, i can't see him getting a place.
    OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    He served his ban and that's it.
    well, i know he's served his ban and he plays well, but it doesnt send out the best vibes to young fans does it? i maybe being a bit of a moral bugger here, but i don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Rio always plays well for England, he was better than Terry at the WC. It's a shame for Carragher though, he's serious quality.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like this is the line up for England:

Paul Robinson
    Gary Neville Rio Ferdinand John Terry (cpt) Ashley Cole
    Steven Gerrard Owen Hargreaves Frank Lampard Stewart Downing
    Jermain Defoe Peter Crouch.

ReputationRep:
    robinson [like we have a choice]

neville
    terry
    ferdinand
    a. cole

lennon
    gerrard
    hargreaves
    joe cole [isnt he injured?]

crouch
    defoe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Rio always plays well for England, he was better than Terry at the WC. It's a shame for Carragher though, he's serious quality.
    Ferdinand + Terry works better than any other combination (available).

ReputationRep:
    Jamie Carragher hasn't played as memorably well for England as for Liverpool. That's not to say he's done badly, but he hasn't challenged the places of John Terry or Rio Ferdinand (or perhaps even Ledley King) on the international stage. There are reasons for this other than the ability of all concerned. Carragher hardly ever plays at centre-back for England, whereas for Liverpool he plays regularly there and is settled and confident in his status as first choice. Now though, since we know Terry and Ferdinand to be our first choice pairing, we ought to try different things in the next friendly, or even against Andorra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    what i dont understand is with all this rucous about drugs, is why a guy banned for drugs offences is even considered for england.
    You conveniently forget that no one has proved that he took any drugs. His offence was being absent for a drugs test, an absence which was completely accidental. With nothing against his name except being one of the two best English central defenders, to not consider him would be criminal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Jamie Carragher hasn't played as memorably well for England as for Liverpool. That's not to say he's done badly, but he hasn't challenged the places of John Terry or Rio Ferdinand (or perhaps even Ledley King) on the international stage. There are reasons for this other than the ability of all concerned. Carragher hardly ever plays at centre-back for England, whereas for Liverpool he plays regularly there and is settled and confident in his status as first choice. Now though, since we know Terry and Ferdinand to be our first choice pairing, we ought to try different things in the next friendly, or even against Andorra.
    tbf the only reason he isn't memorable is cos he doesn **** up, Terry and Ferdiand suddenyl become rather error prone when playing for England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    You conveniently forget that no one has proved that he took any drugs. His offence was being absent for a drugs test, an absence which was completely accidental. With nothing against his name except being one of the two best English central defenders, to not consider him would be criminal.
    i know it wasn't proven - but if i was taking performance enhancing drugs and figured a 6 month ban for missing my test or a 2 year ban for being found guilty, i'd think i'd know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    i know it wasn't proven - but if i was taking performance enhancing drugs and figured a 6 month ban for missing my test or a 2 year ban for being found guilty, i'd think i'd know what to do.
    The potential punishment for missing a test is 2 years though. Ferdinand also passed a drugs test 36 hours later if I'm not mistaken. Anyway he served his punishment, and is a world-class player.

Carra should be given another go at right-back as Gerarrd may leave gaps down the right with his new-found freedom. He's probs more of a solid defender than Neville.

(Original post by Klinsmannic)
    The potential punishment for missing a test is 2 years though. Ferdinand also passed a drugs test 36 hours later if I'm not mistaken. Anyway he served his punishment, and is a world-class player.

Carra should be given another go at right-back as Gerarrd may leave gaps down the right with his new-found freedom. He's probs more of a solid defender than Neville.
    Even as a Liverpool supporter, there is no better than Neville at right back. He's a solid defender, intelligent, and knows when to pick his runs. When he retires things'll be difficult. Ferdinand deserves to keep his place and, although Terry has often been a weak link, he's undroppable for obvious reasons. It would be interesting to see what McClaren does if Carra is clearly the stand out player of the 3 over the next season.

ReputationRep:
    Well match has been and gone and thankfully we won!!!
    :party:

Take all discussion now to other England v Greece thread.

ReputationRep:
    So are you happy now folks??

Feedback please. (and be nice)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I prefer it like this ; I think the relaxed thing is good ..

ReputationRep:
    Dan has comeup with a brill idea and its working at the mo. During matches instead of teams keeping to their own threads, we can have all banter/chat/goal updates in UFT. Doesn't then make folks feel alienated and makes for good atmosphere. After match discussion can then follow in own threads.

ReputationRep:
    Much better. Feels more like a discussion forum, ta guys.

PS Why the name changing Cindy, I'm getting confused haha.

ReputationRep:
    I am a schziophrenic (sp??)! :proud:

Not I am not
    Yes you are
    *slaps*
    Ow that hurt
    *kicks*
    You, you........
    *big fight with self breaks out.

ReputationRep:
    If I could neg rep you for awful humour I would haha.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.