• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Brief reports of English Premier League matches played on Saturday:

ARSENAL 1 ASTON VILLA 1

Villa's Swedish defender Olof Mellberg upstaged hosts Arsenal by scoring the first goal at their brand new Emirates stadium with a close range shot from Steven Davies's corner.

Martin O'Neill's side did not manage a shock victory, however, Brazil's Gilberto Silva hitting a deserved equaliser right-footed from a left cross by teenage substitute Theo Walcott, who came on in the 73rd minute for his Premier League debut.

----

BOLTON WANDERERS 2 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0

Bolton raced into a two-goal lead inside 14 minutes to belie the teams' pre-season form in which Spurs were unbeaten and Bolton lost five friendlies in a row.

Striker Kevin Davies headed Bolton in front in the ninth minute from Gary Speed's inswinging corner and midfielder Ivan Campo made it two with a 35-metre thunderbolt that went into the bottom corner of Paul Robinson's net five minutes later.

----

EVERTON 2 WATFORD 1

Andy Johnson marked his Everton debut, following his transfer from relegated Crystal Palace, with the opening goal in the 15th minute, a right-footed shot from fellow England striker James Beattie's pass.

Midfielder Mikel Arteta, who hit the bar with a free kick in the first half, made sure of the points with a penalty eight minutes from time after handball by defender Chris Powell although Damien Francis managed to pull one back in the final minute.

----

NEWCASTLE UNITED 2 WIGAN ATHLETIC 1

Scott Parker headed Newcastle in front in the 38th minute from Shola Ameobi's cross.

Lee McCulloch curled in the equaliser from the right after Emile Heskey headed the ball down from centre of box just before the hour.

Ameobi hit the winner five minutes later from a pass from the left by Charles N'Zgobia.

----

PORTSMOUTH 3 BLACKBURN ROVERS 0

Substitute Nwankwo Kanu marked his Pompey debut with two goals in the last half hour but missed out on a hat-trick when his last-minute penalty was saved by Brad Friedel after a foul by Andy Todd, who became the second Rovers player sent off.

Kanu scored in the 62nd, three minutes after coming on for first-half scorer Svetoslav Todorov, when he headed in Sean Davis's cross and the pair repeated the trick in the 84th.

Rovers' Australian defender Lucas Neill was sent off in the 64th for foul on Kanu, his second bookable offence.

----

READING 3 MIDDLESBROUGH 2

Promoted Reading, playing in the top flight for the first time, scored three goals in 12 minutes as they fought back from conceding two goals in the opening 21 minutes.

Stewart Downing's left-foot volley into the bottom right corner from Aiyegbeni Yakubu's pass put Boro ahead in the 11th and Yakubu added their second 10 minutes later.

Reading scored two in two minutes just before the interval through Dave Kitson and Steve Sidwell before Leroy Lita hit the winner in the 55th from a right cross by Kevin Doyle. Boro's Mark Viduka was denied a late equaliser for offside.

----

SHEFFIELD UNITED 1 LIVERPOOL 1

United enjoyed a satisfying return to the Premier League after a 12-year absence with a deserved point in front of their best crowd for 15 years.

Close-season signing Rob Hulse's diving header put them ahead a minute into the second half and though Liverpool levelled with a 70th-minute Robbie Fowler penalty there was no sign of any gulf in class between teams expected to be operating at opposite ends of the table this season.

----

WEST HAM UNITED 3 CHARLTON ATHLETIC 1

Striker Bobby Zamora scored twice in 14 minutes early in the second half as the Hammers came back from a goal down to beat 10-man Charlton.

A Darren Bent penalty in the 15th minute after Danny Gabbidon's handball put the visiting side ahead but they were down to 10 men for more than an hour after Djimi Traore's dismissal for a second bookable offence.

Substitute Carlton Cole hit West Ham's third in the final minute.

----

Playing on Sunday:

CHELSEA v MANCHESTER CITY

MANCHESTER UNITED v FULHAM

---

That's for those who want a quick update and couldn't spend their Saturday in front of their television screens. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutter)
    Brief reports of English Premier League matches played on Saturday:

PORTSMOUTH 3 BLACKBURN ROVERS 0

Substitute Nwankwo Kanu marked his Pompey debut with two goals in the last half hour but missed out on a hat-trick when his last-minute penalty was saved by Brad Friedel after a foul by Andy Todd, who became the second Rovers player sent off.

Kanu scored in the 62nd, three minutes after coming on for first-half scorer Svetoslav Todorov, when he headed in Sean Davis's cross and the pair repeated the trick in the 84th.

Rovers' Australian defender Lucas Neill was sent off in the 64th for foul on Kanu, his second bookable offence.

----
    and may i say....WHAT A RESULT!

ReputationRep:
    Oh gawd, that gunge-faced thief Harry Redknapp has won a game. The conniving Cockney swindler! I hope he gets sacked or Pompey go down.

ReputationRep:
    :mad: Grrrr *****ing Andy Johnson - had to bloody score cos we knocked his beloved out of the play-offs last season.

By all acounts the Everton penalty was never a pen and the ref managed to get a head and a hand confused with each other :mad: Whilst we had a good shout for a pen turned down

Although it seems we gave a good account of ourselves and hopefully we might get something against West Aaaaaam on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    Stop spamming and post this in UFT! As you will see scorelines will be kept uptodate in that thread as I don't mind a bit of spam there.

For everything else people can always check out

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    If I could neg rep you for awful humour I would haha.
    Aww you wouldn't do that, I'm to smiley.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely horrific assault on Pedro Mendes tonight in Pompeys game against City. I won't call it a tackle or a challenge because it does not belong in footballing terminology, he punched him out on a football pitch. Had he done it on the streets he'd go to prison for GBH, as it is I'd ban him for the rest of the season, perhaps even longer. Just as bad as Keane's challenge on Alfe Inge Haaland if you ask me.

Be interested to hear any City fans opinions on the subject if any post on the forum.

ReputationRep:
    I agree Liam, It was terrible. Just flew in with no intention for the ball, it was nearly off the pitch for godsakes. and smashed Mendes.

He should be sent to prison and bummed by Gary Glitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Absolutely horrific assault on Pedro Mendes tonight in Pompeys game against City. I won't call it a tackle or a challenge because it does not belong in footballing terminology, he punched him out on a football pitch. Had he done it on the streets he'd go to prison for GBH, as it is I'd ban him for the rest of the season, perhaps even longer. Just as bad as Keane's challenge on Alfe Inge Haaland if you ask me.

Be interested to hear any City fans opinions on the subject if any post on the forum.
    Absolute disgrace. You get divers and cheats but this takes the game to a new level. I remember the elbow he did when he played for Wimbledon in 2000? which was even worse.

A ****ing ******

ReputationRep:
    What the hell was he doing? Absolutely crazy. He was never going to win the ball. I seriously think he was out to hurt Mendes, and that's just unacceptable. He needs a lengthy ban at least.

ReputationRep:
    utterly indefensible.

ReputationRep:
    ****house 'challenge'

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting. Also if you look at his follow-through he is looking at Mendes; his eyes are no where in the direction of the ball.

ReputationRep:
    As Harry Redknapp said, it was bound to happen. Thatcher couldnt get near mendes all night.

The FA should look in to this, fine him and give him a suitable ban!

ReputationRep:
    He got a yellow card which means the FA won't do **** all about it, once again proving themselves to be a toothless, inept organisation run by sub-monkey ******s with less brains than a 2 foot high stack of ****.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the first time either, he *****ed Nicky Summerbee before

ReputationRep:
    hopefully Man City will have th grace to fine him and drop him for a few games. But i doubt it

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disgusting!!

He deliberately put all of his weight behind that arm and then just walked off while Mendes was still out cold! :eek:

Bloody yellow card?! I've seen red cards given out for less...

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a city fan though I wasn't at the game last night.

Yep, it was completely indefensible. Yep Thatcher is a thug, always has been.

Will the FA act - well that's up to the referee. He can say he made a mistake in giving the yellow card which will allow the FA to act - but if he doesn't mention it in his report then the FA can't act coz of the booking.

Personally I'd be surprised if Thatcher was playing against Arsenal on Saturday.

ReputationRep:
    I saw the tackle if that is what you can call it on the news this morning and was horrified! He should have been sent off. Disgraceful and unjustified.
    Would a fine serve its purpose? Alenghty ban and suspension of pay I think would be better, but I do not see it happening.
    :mad:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.