Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    It was awful he just flew at him, I hope the FA ban him because it's disgraceful if that goes unpunished. If he did that off the pitch he would be arrested.

Has Mendes been released from hospital yet?

ReputationRep:
    horrible thug! **** like that belongs out in manchester city center on a friday night not the football pitch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LFC_Girl)
    It was awful he just flew at him, I hope the FA ban him because it's disgraceful if that goes unpunished. If he did that off the pitch he would be arrested.

Has Mendes been released from hospital yet?
    Yeah, the Pompey FC website says he's on his way home to Pompey today, still says he'll be under medical and neurological supervison in the next couple of weeks though

ReputationRep:
    He'd never try that kind of **** with a Duncan Ferguson or an Alan Shearer or a John Terry either. It'd have to be a smaller man than him, because that's the way real cowards like it.

ReputationRep:
    i remember saying the same things about roy keane when he assaulted haaland (intentionally i might add) and got away with it relatively lightly. i always thought he deserved to be imprisoned myself and not on a football field. never rated that scum

on topic though. i see thatcher in the same view. put him in jail - his track record speaks for itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrOdiGy_)
    on topic though. i see thatcher in the same view. put him in jail - his track record speaks for itself
    Exactly! If he'd done that to a random bloke in the street he'd be charged with assault but apparently it's fine to assault someone on a football pitch :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got a link to a vid of the tackle? Or will I see it on the news today?

The F.A need to grow some balls and ban him for 6 games at least. Absolutely despicable challenge from a dirty thug who's always possessed that element to his game. The intent and malice of the challenge made it even worse, and his reaction towards Mendes after the challenge was cowardly and pitiful.

ReputationRep:
    it would be refreshing actually if the club sacked him. it happens when players take drugs and to be honest, what thatcher did is way worse to me than someone doing some coke in their spare time.

ReputationRep:
    He is being investigated by greater manchester police.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRaS7ffyWg

It's even worse at full speed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkySports)

The Football Association are to examine the disciplinary procedures surrounding Ben Thatcher's ugly challenge on Pedro Mendes that left the Portsmouth midfielder requiring hospital treatment.

Manchester City defender Thatcher somehow escaped with a yellow card after an nasty incident five minutes into the second half of the Premiership clash at Eastlands on Wednesday, as he ran to the touchline to challenge the Pompey man and his forearm connected with Mendes' jaw as he sent his opponent sprawling.

As a result the Portuguese midfielder had to be given oxygen and stretchered off before suffering a seizure en route to hospital.

Thatcher's actions infuriated Pompey boss Harry Redknapp who called for The FA to take action against the former Tottenham and Wimbledon man.

As referee Dermot Gallagher did brandish a yellow card it had seemed as though Thatcher may escape further action, but the powerbrokers at Soho Square are now treating the case as an exceptional incident.

"We are looking at whether this may possibly be an exceptional case and what options may exist under our disciplinary regulations," confirmed an FA spokesman.

The City defender has previously been punished for elbowing Sunderland's Nicky Summerbee in 2000, for which he received a two game ban, and may now find himself in hot water again following his latest indiscretion.

Greater Manchester Police are also preparing to investigate the incident after receiving a number of complaints following the Premiership game.

Pompey have confirmed that Mendes has now left hospital, but that the former Tottenham man will continue to be under supervision as he recovers from the incident.

"Pedro Mendes will be returning today from Manchester accompanied by the club medical personnel after spending the night at the Manchester Royal Infirmary for observation and scans," read a statement on the club's official website.

"Mendes will continue to be under medical and neurological supervision during the forthcoming week.

"Portsmouth Football Club wish to thank all the medical staff and stewards at the City of Manchester Stadium for their efficiency last night as well as the Manchester Royal Infirmary staff who dealt with Pedro in expert fashion.

"We would like to thank all the supporters for their kind messages of concern and best wishes and wish Pedro a speedy and safe recovery."
    It's good to see the FA are actually going to do something about it although I can't see the police enquiry doing much. He must have caused him some harm if the hospital want to keep checks on him for a week.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney got a three match ban for doing next to nothing in that pre-season friendly. If Thatcher doesn't get at least 3 times that it will be a disgrace, so I fully expect him to get off with a 1 match ban and a slap on the wrist from the FA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christo)
    Anyone got a link to a vid of the tackle? Or will I see it on the news today?
    It was on the national news this morning so I guess they will show it again either this afternoon or tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrOdiGy_)
    it would be refreshing actually if the club sacked him. it happens when players take drugs and to be honest, what thatcher did is way worse to me than someone doing some coke in their spare time.
    Pearce was interviewed after the match and said it deserved a yellow..

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise Mendes was knocked unconcious and suffered fitting after the tackle (just reported on the news.) Man City are too make a statment on it later today.

ReputationRep:
    When I saw the replay he was just lying there and looking spaced out.

ReputationRep:
    That was absolutely brutal. Ben Thatcher should be banned for half the season, what a scumbag!

ReputationRep:
    Awful. Now if he was to do that on a night out in town he would be rightly facing criminal charges etc., it seems that if you do it infront of a stadium full of people and a large television audience, you're exempt from it all...

ReputationRep:
    What an absolute disgrace to the image of the premiership across the world. Ben Thatcher deserves to be sacked or be given a lifetime ban if you ask me. there is no place for scum like him to associate himself with one of the most respected leagues in the world. the tackle reminded me of an american football charge, and you wonder why they wear helmets. mendes had absolutely no hope in hell of getting out of the way, thatcher came at him like a steam roller - and to make matters worse he didnt even look to see if he was alright. what an idiot.
    its nice to see a city fan speak of what a disgrace the tackle was. too many fans try and defend the indefensible, good on you for saying your bit.
    ALL FANS UNITE AGAINST VIOLENCE ON THE PITCH - SIMPLE AND RIGHT.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.