Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hurricane_Herd)
    how have Valencia ended up being seeded ? i don't understand...when have they done well in the last 5 years ? i am struggling to think...
    I think they get quite alot of points for winning the UEFA cup in 2004 which obviously boosted their seeding.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea Barca again hahahaha.
    AC Milan got the easiest ****ing group ever..cheats dont prosper my arse. They shouldnt even be in the comp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hurricane_Herd)
    how have Valencia ended up being seeded ? i don't understand...when have they done well in the last 5 years ? i am struggling to think...
    Read on UEFA club coefficients .. Wikipedia is the answer as the poster above said, they have won it, hence you get tonnes of points for winning

ReputationRep:
    lfc got hard one, psv and galatasary are hard. dream group for utd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    But they avoided the big teams. Liverpool are better than all the teams in their group IMO and should top it. I see your point tho that none of the other 3 teams are pushovers.

ReputationRep:
    Fairly pleased with the draw myself in terms of my two teams (Tic and the Arse). Celtic drawing Man U ensures a couple of classic games while the other two teams in the group give Celtic a very decent chance of progressing. Man U have their traditional piss easy group, theyl walk it to first place. Arsenals group is reasonable and im pretty pleased that Hamburg is in it - im going to take a german language course there in a few weeks and the away leg in a couple of months should give a chance to practice my german.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    dream group for utd.
    Yup. All the English teams should qualify with only Chelsea facing a challenge for 1st place. Liverpool have a possibly tricky group though, especially in terms of away grounds they have to visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgo)
    We are the best team in the group though and should top it.
    Chelsea have a tough one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Bremen could possibly stir things up but i dont think they will. Barca to top group fairly comfortably with Chelsea in second even more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    They will come second at least..

It will be a battle between Arsenal and Porto to top?? Well, I hope we proceed past the group stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakatak)
    barce chelsea
    man u celtic
    arsenal porto
    liverpool psv
    Agree except id have Hamburg instead of Porto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)

It will be a battle between Arsenal and Porto to top?? Well, I hope we proceed past the group stage
    I think youre overrating Porto. They certainly wont challenge Arsenal for the top spot and i dont think its by any means certain theyl get 2nd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    This is a daft way if looking at it. If i were to run in from behind and slide tackle some random fella on the high street I'd bloody well expect to be locked away and sent to the nut house. What did Shearer get for kicking Lennon in the head? What happened to Zidane after his headbutt in the summer?

Thatcher will be banned for a few games atleast, no doubt. Dont think the FA will stick to the law book for this one
    Erm...haven't you just repeated my point by saying that you would be locked away yet the likes of Shearer and Zidane received no punishment? :confused: Plus I wasn't talking about genuine tackles, I'm talking about the likes of others who headbutt, elbow and generally commit assault on the football pitch yet get away with it.

The FA have already said that they are treating this as an exceptional case anyway, plus the Greater Manchester Police are looking into it after many complaints from the public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dimexi)
    Depends how bremen turn up. They can give Chelsea and Barca a run for there money at home if they try.
    Milans group is farcial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate85)
    Exactly! If he'd done that to a random bloke in the street he'd be charged with assault but apparently it's fine to assault someone on a football pitch :rolleyes:
    On the football pitch the laws of the land are somewhat relaxed due to the implied consent of the game. That is, when partaking in a contact sport it is implied that the players 'consent' (or at least agree to the risk) to the rough & tumble of the game. Otherwise boxers would constantly be behind bars :p:

Of course, what Thatcher did was totally unacceptable and outside the laws of the game. When this happens he is completely open to both criminal prosecution and civil actions for compensation if Petro Mendes chooses to do this.

I read on Sky Sports News that both the FA and the police are investigating the incident.

Sorry if this has all been discussed, I haven't bothered to read the rest of the thread

ReputationRep:
    indeed that punch was outrageous....

but what about Andy Todd?? i'm a blackburn fan but i still thought that was the most blatant red card possible. he wasnt even looking at the ball..just ran over to the other guy and took him out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weird and Wonderful)
    Disgusting. there is no place in footbal for it. Man City should fine him and make him play for the reserves! Police should charge him and the FA should ban him for 8 matches. I meaN ROONEY GOT A 3 MATCH BAN and that challenge had no intent whatsoever this was all intent and horrific!
    heh. Yeah, I wonder what Rooney's thinking, getting a 3-match ban for nothing, and Thatcher getting nothing (as of yet, at least) for GBH.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kate85)
    Erm...haven't you just repeated my point by saying that you would be locked away yet the likes of Shearer and Zidane received no punishment? :confused: Plus I wasn't talking about genuine tackles, I'm talking about the likes of others who headbutt, elbow and generally commit assault on the football pitch yet get away with it.

The FA have already said that they are treating this as an exceptional case anyway, plus the Greater Manchester Police are looking into it after many complaints from the public.
    My point is that if you start treating these sorts of incidents as common assault it's going into a very grey area. It's extremely difficult to prove intent for starters, but if I went and punched someone in the street there'd be no doubt about it. I refuse to believe the FA will just let it pass by and will probably try and make an exception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakatak)
    barce chelsea
    man u celtic
    arsenal porto
    liverpool psv
    FFS!!! Again Barca!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stu477)
    indeed that punch was outrageous....

but what about Andy Todd?? i'm a blackburn fan but i still thought that was the most blatant red card possible. he wasnt even looking at the ball..just ran over to the other guy and took him out
    I agree - definite red card, but Johnson wasn't knocked out.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.