The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The match was somewhat lost before it even started with Mourinho's incomprehensible tactics.
Reply 1081
When

a) The player is ready to get up (which he was) and
b) The referee has seen the situation and waved play on

It's not Spurs' obligation to put the ball out.

To be honest, I agree with you in general that when a player looks to be injured you put the ball out. But there are so many instances of players feigning injury (which Eboue did today as he ended up horrible out of position) every game in the knowledge that the opposition will knock the ball out, that it's very hard to govern and the ref should ultimately take control.
Reply 1082
good points well made
FK333
where are you in the table, yer i guess it does say alot about our positions

You try playing with all the injuries we have had this season
FK333
thats the whole point there was nothing wrong with gilberto and eboue - hence we layed on

And you're a trained medic who can determine that from sight?

In fact, trained medics can't even determine that by sight. Hence we have things like X-ray machines.

The welfare of players and people is more important than the progress of football games?

Is that right or wrong?

If it's wrong - what is the right price? A broken arm? Two of them? A serious brain injury? A heart attack? Sudden death? More than one?

You're a twisted and ill person if you think sport games are more important than the well being of people. You seriously are.
So what do you make of this?

Lets say an Arsenal player goes down injured so they are at a disadvantage, but Tottenham are under no obligation to put it out because they are in a good position. Thus Tottenham get the advantage of the situation.

Now a Tottenham player goes down injured. Tottenham are effectively playing with ten men so at a disadvantahe. So that they can get the player treatment and back onto the field they put the ball out. Now Arsenal are expected to throw the ball back otherwise they would be slated and Tottenham dont lose out in any way. But why should they? It's not their fault a tottenham player got injured.

If you play on when an opponent is down you shouldnt expect to receive the ball back when your own player puts the ball out. Double standards
Reply 1086
Economist
You try playing with all the injuries we have had this season

no ledly king today, no mido, no jenas - its hard i know
It's not Spurs' obligation to put the ball out.

Nor would they have been obliged with a Marc-Vivien For type of event had occured.

The ref is not medically trained, at all.

Progress in football games is not more important than human lives or safety.
What was unsporting was Wenger's reaction and behaviour. Well done Henry though; staying behind to shake his opponents' hands.
FK333
no ledly king today, no mido, no jenas - its hard i know

Since when was today a whole season?

Reply 1090
President_Ben
And you're a trained medic who can determine that from sight?

Yes. I could. Eboue could. Steve Bennett could. The player made no effort to get up get back up and catch up with play (which incidentally Gilberto did) and lay on the floor looking around to see if he'd be given a free kick. Once Davids got the ball in a dangerous area he started rolling around in pain. No surprise to see him back on his feet quickly after receiving his "treatment".

He's not the only one, lots of players do it, too many infact.
Reply 1091
President_Ben
Nor would they have been obliged with a Marc-Vivien For type of event had occured.

The ref is not medically trained, at all.

Progress in football games is not more important than human lives or safety.

You genuinely believe that if say, Lehman in goal had suddenly collapsed then a) Spurs would put the ball into the net and b) I and others would've condoned it?

You're isolating a small incident and blowing it out of proportion. Eboue wasnt injured. He tried to cheat the ref and cheat the game by feigning injury. The referee saw that, he waved play on, Spurs scored. If anything, vent your anger at the ref, not Spurs.
Reply 1092
It should be up to the ref to stop play, if the ref thinks its a serious head injury he will stop play straight away. Its stupid to expect a team to stop playing with the ammount of play acting that goes on these days, the ammount of players who realise a player has got past them and then falls to ground as if they have been fouled. Wenger is a class A ****** Sure people get wound up but his reaction today was just stupid.
Reply 1093
i'd hardly say campbell was a missed player this season, the only geniune players you've missed has been cole
Reply 1094
ciderpeter
1. The Arsenal players actually took one another out.

2. The Arsenal players were moving about, 1 got up - it was obvious neither injury was serious.

3. The referee signalled that Carrick could continue.

4. The ball was always ahead of the two players, even if they had got straight back up i dont think they would have got back into position to stop the attack.

Why should Spurs give up the chance to score when they have a decent attack on, when a player is not seriously hurt... The goal rightly stood.

Reyes and Pires had been diving all match up to that point, so maybe it was a sense of the boy who cried wolf.

Spot on. And to add, the two players on the ground did not disadvantage Arsenal since the ball was already ahead of them.

Who is Arsene Wenger, out of all people to criticise another manager for not seeing an incident on the pitch? This is the manager credited for coigning up the term 'I did not see it'! What an hypocrite.
FK333
i'd hardly say campbell was a missed player this season, the only geniune players you've missed has been cole

Lauren isnt genuine? Nor it Clichy our replacement left back? We dont know what would have happened to Campbell if he had stayed fit all season! Add to that numerous other minor injuries throughout the season and it takes its toll on the 1st team

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php
Reply 1096
takes toll on every team mate, we've had minor injuries all season, davids, tainio, mido, dawson, satlteri.

its a fact of football, people who complain of these injuries show up their teams ability to deal with them. fair enough if all your top players are out at the same time but that simply hasn't been the case for arsenal this season so thats no excuse
Reply 1097
oh good website by the way, really picks out the four injuries we had today
Economist
We are playing in the semis on the biggest stage in Europe on tuesday something Spurs could only dream of

Been there, done that 1962 lol
Jose trying to be superly duperly clever and it backfired?

Latest