Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

Marker pens were little too far (especially any 58 references); superglued down stickers are a bit of a laugh though. Prefer just to walk round, smiling, in the knowledge that Fergie and cronies had to sit and watch us go through to the Finals of the cup in their own ground. At the end fo the day, the scum won't see much of anything done. It'll just be the minimum wage workers - like any of us - spending a pretty grim couple of days doing the place over.

(Original post by Mourinho)
    I don't think the best team won today but the easy thing to say today is that they are in the final. Point. Finish. I can't wish them luck for the final because Middlesbrough or West Ham will be there and I have to respect them. I just wish for a good final and I wish them luck for the qualifying game for the Champions League!
    ****ing graceless prick. Hope Roman exiles him to Siberia.

(Original post by Benitez)
    We are in the final of the FA Cup. I must give credit to my players, I don't need to talk about the other thing [Mourinho]. We deserved to win, we did the right things to win.

Translation: "Tactical superiority my arse, you feckless idiot."
    Why no Huth on the bench to throw on up front? Oh, wait, yes, he had Terry instead. Mebbe he's been studying the tinkerman? International full-back in midfield and international midfielder at right back. Genius is simplicity, apparently.

Either way, I reckon it's time to get the old Rafatollah out and dusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Chances are with an Arsenal player, he was faking it - i am sure that plays somewhat in the mind set of things - the boy who cried wolf springs to mind again.
    So you agree with my point above then?

Regarding Eboue, I would be very surprised if he was faking it one bit, he's just so enthusiastic about playing football, not that sort of player imo.

ReputationRep:
    I think its down to the team in posession to decide whether to put the ball out, if you are attacking and an opponent is down then you are more likely to carry on, than if you are defending, and one of your defenders is down - its common sense surely...

He is playing for Arsenal though.... In the same team as Pires and Reyes...

Edit: Has to be questioned why Eboue was so far out of position....

How many injuries do you know of that are greatly affected by playing on for a minute? I know of none...
    Actually, at least all of them when there is bleeding, inflammation and tissue damage.

How many broken bones are there in the premiership each season? Very few...
    Irrelevent. How many broken bones do you have to see in the premiership before it matters? You like seeing human beings with broken bones do you?

You like to see them get hurt and lie their in pain?

You are sick. Get your head checked out.

Remember when Alan Smith got done in? He was a heap on the floor for just as long as the two players were yesterday before play stopped. I very much doubt people have considered things like that, especially when Smith was actually injured, but nobody brought up why it wasnt instantly put out of play.
    Genuinely didn't see that game or know about the incident. I think the fact that such a thing happened is wrong.

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right.

I know this isn't D&D, but I expect certain minimum standards of debate. ie. above moronic.

Read a webpage such as: http://www.locksley.com/6696/logic.htm

Chances are with an Arsenal player, he was faking it - i am sure that plays somewhat in the mind set of things - the boy who cried wolf springs to mind again.
    Not the point.

How many real injuries does it have to be before you start putting the ball out?

How many people do you have to see suffering before you start acting like a human with compassion?

You sound like a barbarian the way you are going.

What exactly is more important than the health and safety of people?

ReputationRep:
    Where the hell have i said i like seeing people get bones broken in this thread? I have said the players can rightly carry on if they want to as it is not a rule.

You are clearly still sore from not winning yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    If Eboue had actually being injured... maybe i would be of a different view... at worst he had a dead leg, not a broken leg.

(Original post by LFC_Girl)
    Calderstones pic of your flag here
    ^^
    Just to make it a little more obvious...

ReputationRep:
    I think its down to the team in posession to decide whether to put the ball out, if you are attacking and an opponent is down then you are more likely to carry on, than if you are defending, and one of your defenders is down - its common sense surely...

He is playing for Arsenal though.... In the same team as Pires and Reyes...

Edit: Has to be questioned why Eboue was so far out of position....
    You're just neglecting the reason the conduct was brought in in the 1st place. It was so a injured player could get treatment as quick as possible. You're implying that you should use the conduct to your advantage, which is immoral imo. Play on when you have an advantage when someone is injured, kick it out and get it back when you are at a disadvantage from the injury.

ReputationRep:
    If Eboue had actually being injured... maybe i would be of a different view... at worst he had a dead leg, not a broken leg.
    Thats the problem with your argument summed up. No-one can tell how badly a player is injured, so you trust they are being honest and give them the benefit of the doubt. Divers and fakers ruin this but the upmost importance is the health of the players and if it takes 99 fakers for 1 honest injury where an extra minute treatment would make a big difference, then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Genuinely didn't see that game or know about the incident. I think the fact that such a thing happened is wrong.

Remember, two wrongs don't make a right.
    The reason that went on so long was mainly due to the fact that no-one realised he was injured. Even after the game was stopped it took a while to realise it was serious, I didn't know until RVN went over and was nearly sick.

I can understand both teams points of views. Yes if players are down the ball should go out of play incase they do need treatment urgently however it is up to the referee to signal play to stop. On the other hand it can be annoying as anything when your team put the ball out for a player only to see them jump up the second later. You loose your attacking position and instead get a goal kick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Thats the problem with your argument summed up. No-one can tell how badly a player is injured, so you trust they are being honest and give them the benefit of the doubt. Divers and fakers ruin this but the upmost importance is the health of the players and if it takes 99 fakers for 1 honest injury where an extra minute treatment would make a big difference, then so be it.
    The fact he was moving about and trying to get up is a perfect indication to anyone with the remotist bit of knowledge, yet alone medical knowledge, that a leg is not broken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    ^^
    Just to make it a little more obvious...

Thanks
    I still don't know how to do that!

Refs are not medics. In fact, medics can't even spot an injury from a distance or even necessarily up close. Because the possiblity of injury in sport is so high, and yes, it is high, you have to stop play. It is by far and away, the most sensible and human thing to do.

I will never condone or support when a team starts to devalue the health and safety of other players or people. Arsenal have screwed in the past and I will criticise them for it just as heavily as any other team in football or any other sport. Equally, what happened yesterday is out of order too.

The fact he was moving about and trying to get up is a perfect indication to anyone with the remotist bit of knowledge, yet alone medical knowledge, that a leg is not broken.
    Actually, you are wrong. Fractures do not have to be complete (passing through the full length of the bone).

Incomplete fractures are painful and you can often move on them. However, doing so, may cause you to increase the damage. But it is very common for people to do this because of instincts and the ability of people to resist pain.

Take it from someone who did this to himself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES WHAT A ***ING GAME. OMG im sorry cindy and co, but take that jose your gobsh****. Nothing better than shuttiung that bitter tit up, whats your exscuse now. Well done liverpool fans, you outsung them chelsea boys from the off. One of the most memoral matches ive been to in ages.
    Who seen my flag then and who seen me with no top on at the end dancing like a luncatic for ages.
    BTW, man u fans.. anyone in the east end.. your cleaners have one hell of a job. Im not ashamed to admit i took a spray can with me to the game.. vandalism? yes.. funny? yes... and i have videos to prove it.
    GET IN!
    It was about 50:50 in terms of atmosphere. Of couse stadium acoustics will make it seem like your lot were louder but you were sat in amongst them, ever noticed at an away game the away fans always seem louder than the home ones? same principle, where you were sat you were about 50 yards from any chelsea fan - would you expect them to be as loud then.

I sincerely hope you werent one of the ones who wrote the stuff about Munich etc after the roasting you gave me for not respecting Hillsborough...

ReputationRep:
    I havnt read the thread. But it doesn't look to be resolved yet. I shall be appearing for the defence, a Mr T. H. Spurs.

Football is a sport whereby both teams seek to put a ball into the opposition goal. So long as no rule is broken, this can be done by any means. There was no formal rule broken here. This much I believe we are in agreement on.

Let us consider two situations in which no rule is broken. I shall use Arsenal and Tottenham as examples throughout, Arsenal being the team that conceded both times.
    In the first situation Arsenal are on the attack. The ball is played to Pires who is taken out by (another!) strong Davids tackle. The referee deemed it to be fair, but Pires is clearly in pain. He has a reputation for diving, but he is writhing about and his leg is a few metres away from the rest of him. Davids keeps playing.
    It is clear in this example that 30 seconds of play, until the ball is dead due to the natural course of play, could be crucial in determining whether Pires survives/will play again.
    In another case, two Arsenal players collide whilst going for the ball. The ball rolls for free. Tottenham are inside the Arsenal half and a promising move is on. One player gets up almost immediately. The other player does not look like he has an injury which needs urgant medical treatment (i.e. he needs treatment within the next minute or he's in big trouble).
    The question is, should Tottenham, in a match upon which millions ride (and much prestige to boot), forsake a good goal scoring opportunity because of an event which was neither illegal nor their fault?
    If a striker surges past the last defender, and as he does so the defender breaks his leg due to him falling over, should the striker give up his 1 on 1?
    How far are we going to push this? Should a striker not capitalise on a clumsy pass back to the keeper in the WC final because it would not be an honourable way to win? Afterall, far better to win after a flowing team move...!

To surmise:
    1) The injury was not Tottenham's fault.
    2) Nothing was done against the rules.
    3) The injury sustained was clearly not sp grave as to require medical assistance in the next minute. If it were, the referee would be within his rights to blow his whistle.
    4) A promising move was developing. The players involved were unlikely to be of much use to Arsenal in any event.
    5) The match was worth millions of pounds.
    6) This is a derby so an incentive is creating to play hard. Tackles have that extra oomph.

I contend that points 1-4 are enough, but points 5 and 6 come to provide mitigating circumstances should you find that the players were guilty.

Your honour, that is all.

Edit: Note that the summary has been edited to include one further point.

ReputationRep:
    I dont really care to be honest, i am just defending what i thought was a decent performance by Spurs, i know i would have played on, as would most teams, including Arsenal and you all know it, your just very bitter still and can't accept that you were the second best team on the day.

Lets face it, Arsenal fans always blame it on something - take your trip to Ewood Park, all we heard after the match was your mocking of the referee and Henry.

It was about 50:50 in terms of atmosphere. Of couse stadium acoustics will make it seem like your lot were louder but you were sat in amongst them, ever noticed at an away game the away fans always seem louder than the home ones? same principle, where you were sat you were about 50 yards from any chelsea fan - would you expect them to be as loud then.
    Might have been where the mics were set, but struggled to hear any Chelsea songs from the Beeb commentary. Vaguely remember picking up Blue Is The Colour, but only the chorus. Annie Road, 5 Times, YNWA, Rafa's especially featured (loudly).

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you meana bout us seeming louder because we were sat there but every write up I have read has praised our support for being better. Haven't watched the full game back yet just whizzed through it on Sky+ last night to see the highlights so I don't know how it sounded.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.