Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    kick didier drogba out of the premiership.

no video replays, it ruins the fun of the game when a referee makes a wrong decision.

re-instate backpasses, saw some hilarious goals with that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not your average guy regarding blondes. Each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know why darts was quoted. There have been unsporting behaviour found in that sport. Better off with croquet or bowls then.

(Original post by Klinsmannic)
    P_B, you seem to have made the same point at least ten times. There must be a code of conduct in debating that prevents one from doing so.
    Not when people strawman and avoid the point. If avoided, you can either get them to re-read it by telling them so or pointing it out again.

I'm guessing you're one of these people that petitions for the cessation of boxing and all other contact sports :rolleyes: . Your emotive words (barbarian, sick etc) do little for your arguement, they only serve to accentuate how wrong your are in relation to the Eboue-Gilberto 'injuries'.
    No, I'm the sort of person that thinks when people are injured, you treat them. ie. box all you want but when people are injured in the course of a fight, time to stop and declare that person the loser. Would you rather they stay in the fight until they get beaten to potential death?

The actual point at hand has nothing to do with the particulars of the derby game either. Making you just as bad as everyone else at the srawmanning. The general case which has greater width and importance applies to the particular.

(Original post by Jimmocrates)
    Ciderpeter, its no surprise to me that it takes a rovers fan to talk some sense in here

Lots of money rides on these matches whcih are won and lost by goals. If players can break up an attack by goign down as "injured", it'd ruin the game as we know it.
    No, they'd get sent off. Says a lot about a 'sport' when it becomes a business operation that loses sight of the fact that real people are getting really hurt at times.

It is very compassionate of the Preseident to say that the welfare of players is paramount. I'm obviously not as nice-a-person as him, as i have the opinion that physical injuries/strains/breaks/pulled muscles although painful are non-life threatening injuries, and no threat to their life is made by playing on.
    So we should just leave them there in pain then? Lovely. How long would you leave them there for? How much of their blood needs to drip out the wound? How much pain do you allow for? What probability of shock is ok? How much inflammed tissue is ok? How much ripping of ligaments?

By the theories set out by ben, every time a boxer is punched they'd have to be checked over by a doctor, given a scan to check they haven't got a haemhorrage like Michael Watson, or play would be stopped every time a tackle is made in rugby in case players have picked up a broken collar bone or something.
    Or not. Because if the sportsperson isn't injured or showing injury, you carry on.

I know this isn't D&D and even though things have gone downhill there, I didn't think it'd be that bizarre here.

ReputationRep:
    To all those Gooners moaning about the Spurs goal:

Diego Forlan scores two goals early in the first half on Tuesday night to put Villareal 2-1 up on aggregate, and in the final few minutes, Riquelme and Senna collide into each other and Fabregas picks up the ball with Hleb and Henry both in decent attacking positions. If he kicked the ball out of play and Arsenal lost the game, would you: a)say "well played Cesc, you did the right thing" or b) Get annoyed that he hadn't taken advantage of the best oppurtunity Arsenal had in the game to reach the Champions League final. Or let's assume that he did play it up to Hleb, who crossed for Henry to score that important away goal that sent Arsenal through to the final. Would you: a) Get very angry at Fabregas for not putting the ball out of play when there were two players down, and demand that Arsene Wenger should offer Villareal a replay, or b) Cream your pants and bore everyone about how Arsenal are deserved finalists?

In one of the first derbies I can remember, John Lukic threw the ball out of play for an injured player, but Tottenham used the throw in to score. That was cheeky, but we lost the game anyway. This was nothing of the sort, we had the ball in an attacking position, nobody was seriously hurt, nobody had committed a foul, so why should we stop? This isn't a friendly match, like Henry said before the game, it was war.

What we did was certainly no more immoral than those free-kicks Henry scored against Villa and Chelsea. If anything, we have more of a case to moan about the foul on Stalteri before your goal.
    Some thoughts. I don't seem to remember many Gooners complaining that their FA Cup win in 2003 was immoral given the nature of their win against Sheffield Utd in 2003! Well you did offer a replay though.

Some fantastic missing of the point by bringing forth yet another strawman too.

"Winning" by poor sportsmanship isn't a real win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    "Winning" by poor sportsmanship isn't a real win.
    Football and sportsmanship rarely exist unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    Yeah, QPR did. Thank Terry Venables for that
    ICK! Terry Venables Mr 'Lets buy Portsmouth for a quid and do sod all to help it'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    added time multiball
    half time monster trucks
    Changing the name of middlesborough to 'Middlesbro red 'n' white sox'
    and portsmouth to 'Portsmouth pirates'

moving arsenal to Peak district

and uniting manchester to for 'team manchester'

classic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Red Phoenix*)
    ICK! Terry Venables Mr 'Lets buy Portsmouth for a quid and do sod all to help it'
    sodding ******* he is.. along with graham rix.. :mad:

This ain't nothing to do with the game, but more of the "After-math" of a match or before a match..

Id get rid of all football hooligans, they ruin football to an extent where it makes me think twice about going to see pompey at fratton park..

Thats all i can think of at the moment that i would change..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dan_black)
    no video replays, it ruins the fun of the game when a referee makes a wrong decision.
    England being knocked out by Portugal in Euro 2004 was fun was it?

ReputationRep:
    That was fair by the way. The referee explained it on T.V. afterwards. It wasn't Sol who made the error, it was some other nutter holding onto the 'keeper.

ReputationRep:
    Urs Meiher was the refs name as I personally emailed him and abused him. The ref actually stated he was correct for doing what he did after. He alleged Sol held the keepers shirt for obstruction.

He single handedly knocked us out of the competition and his attitude after completely stunk. Bad bad ref if I ever remember one.

Then we have other crap refs - like the one sending off Becks against Argentina for a feeble kick which should have been a yellow.

Then we have the other ref that disallowed Sols goal against Argentina in 98 due to an off ball incident which in no way affected the outcome of that goal.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to personally email you and abuse you. Prat.

It's this mentality that led to Anders Frisk, one of the best referees in the world, retiring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    Please don't say "Sheffield" fan as there are 2 teams in Sheffield. Sheffield United fan yes but not Sheffield. :rolleyes:

That day was the worst football day in my life. Was gutted but finally the memories of that day in Cardiff are erased from getting promoted in 2nd this season. What a shame Wolves haven't made the play offs too.

Gem
    I meant Sheffeield United. I tend to refer to United as Sheffield and Wednesday as... Wednesday. I'm aware there is no possible way you could have known thatbut just wanted to let you know I wasn't accusing you of being a Wednesday fan! :p:
    Wolves didn't deserve the playoffs this year and I can't say I blame you for some well deserved gloating! Good luck in the prem!

xx

ReputationRep:
    Bring back Ron Atkinson - hes not a bad bloke

ReputationRep:
    Re-write the offside rule to stop this stupid messing about with it.
    Make it clear that offside is offside, and the only times that a player counts as 'not influencing play', is when they are far out on the other side, out of everyones vision, or down injured.
    And no crap about daylight between players either.

I'd also like to introduce a video system, so a seperate official could look at things and make a decision on the game (only things like goals, not fouls and stuff as that will break up play too much).
    I would like to say that i want a system where after a match, bad decisions could be changes (like wrongly allowed or disallowed goals), but i know that can't happen, so instead i think the in game system will work best

Next, the out of play time, for time added on, should actually be properly timed. I mean the ball going out for a couple of seconds for a throw or something i don't mind, but all this time wasting, with injuries, and with taking free kicks/goal kicks/throws etc, players need to know that it will ammount to nothing, and that all the time, and possibly more, will be added.

I believe that players have the right to disagree with the referees decision, but only the players involved, and the captain of each side, should be allowed to approach a referee after a decision, and that any hostile behaviour should obviously be punished.
    Something i was thinking of, was the need perhaps for distinction between play offences (bad tackles, pushes and stuff etc), and technical offenses (protesting with a referee, deliberately wasting time, diving etc). I don't know whether there would be a new type of card or something, but i was thinking two offenses of either type mean a sending off, because that way referees wont be so reluctant to punish players for the latter offenses, i think.

One more thought, i don't know whether i am seriously advocating this or just thinking, but instead of penalties, why not a hockey style system, where players start from the half way line, and have, lets say, thirty seconds to get a shot in on goal, maybe say no shooting in the area or something like that. It makes it more interesting, and less down to luck and more down to skill, i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Im going to personally email you and abuse you. Prat.

It's this mentality that led to Anders Frisk, one of the best referees in the world, retiring.
    Funny how papers like the sun kicked up such a fuss about evil chelsea abusing (this included death threats) Anders Frisk so soon after they'd published Urs Meier's e-mail so that lovely england supporters could voice their opinions to him in a calm and rational way (this included death threats)

ReputationRep:
    If one of a sides own players are injured, and they are in an attacking position, they almost never seem to be compelled to put the ball out of play, while they expect their opposition to do so. It makes no sense to me.

I think that, if a player is away from play, not influencing it in any way, that the game should keep being played until it can be reasonably put out of play, without either side giving up a good opportunity.

However, if the player is in an active postition, i think that the ball should be put out no matter what, or that the referee should simply blow, to allow the player to be treated.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.