Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

(Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    5th official, with access to all camera angles to help the referee in the pitch with decisions

goal line technology

Retrospective Disciplinary Panel, with the power to issue yellow and red cards post-match so that incidents missed by the referee are punished later. This would soon stamp out diving, violent conduct, simulation, cheating etc.
    I like these.

Wage caps, finnaly put an end to the big boys splashing money around. IF you cap the wages, there is less incentive to move clubs just for luxury pay days.
    If we could change football internationally, I'd generally take a lot of the money element out to bring it back to being sport.

And play on gravel or astroturf. I can't remember anyone ever diving on that when i was at school.

ReputationRep:
    Ban people like reyes from the world cup for a season of diving and make them go swimming (cos thats wot they are good at) for the rest of the summer. keeps them fit and teaches them a lesson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Im going to personally email you and abuse you. Prat.

It's this mentality that led to Anders Frisk, one of the best referees in the world, retiring.
    Anders Frisk was unfairly treated on unsubstantiated information. Death threats shoul dnot be part of the game no matter how serious the incident.
    Urs Meher wasn't. The guy should quit refereeing. It was outrageous what he was allowed to get away with. The worst misconduct of a referee if I ever saw one.

Wish I still had the email - I would of personally resent it. Referees make mistakes, their human, but this one denied he even made one and then made further disgusting comments after against the English :rolleyes:

I think a well deserved email.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    So we should just leave them there in pain then? Lovely. How long would you leave them there for? How much of their blood needs to drip out the wound? How much pain do you allow for? What probability of shock is ok? How much inflammed tissue is ok? How much ripping of ligaments?
    Play should only be stopped if there are clear signs that a player is injured. Players tend go down and roll around for a bit when they've only recieved a bit of a knock, or just a tumble. It's usually clear when a player is really injured and actually in pain. If there is a visible sign of injury (that would constitute a clear sign that the player is injured) such as a genuine reaction to pain or if there's blood and the player can't leave the field of their own accord (so it's more than just a nose bleed) then play should be stopped so that player can recieve treatment.
    I think it's ok to play on as long you don't think any player needs treatment. The referee is the ideal person to judge this and if he thinks you should play on, then play on
    (Original post by President_Ben)
    Or not. Because if the sportsperson isn't injured or showing injury, you carry on.
    Football players try to show injury even when they have no injury. I think that's the problem. If players only rolled around on the floor when they were genuinely injured, no-one would have a problem with putting the ball out when that happens

ReputationRep:
    I think, that to some extent, the problem with the way people treat referees is due to referees themselves behave.
    They are there to referee the match, to keep the rules, but naturally they will make mistakes sometimes.
    But some referees will not admit to it, no matter how obvious it is that they had made a mistake.
    However, no matter what, threats are not justified in this.
    Referees need to be held more accountable for their decisions, in an official sense, so that action like this isn't taken by 'supporters'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamlan)
    Funny how papers like the sun kicked up such a fuss about evil chelsea abusing (this included death threats) Anders Frisk so soon after they'd published Urs Meier's e-mail so that lovely england supporters could voice their opinions to him in a calm and rational way (this included death threats)
    Exactly. Not that I condone either incident, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You do realise that salary caps like the 20/20 rule have been criticised for ruining the game? All it means is that better sportsmen who seek higher pay are gone to other leagues. I dislike the idea of salary caps since we don't have it for other professions. Plus if you do it in football, at least make it worldwide and equivalent to each other.
    I thought we were talking about football as a whole, not just the British game. Salary caps would level the playing field, meaning clubs couldn't have sugar daddies and all of the best players. And who says the salary cap has ruined rugby league? It's in a better state than ever since the 20/20 rule was introduced, teams like Wigan no longer dominate Super League and formerly lesser teams like Salford are challenging for a play-off place!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice'N'Dice)
    Biggest waste of money. Ever.
    I think that tag should be given to Essien!

There was an interesting write up in the Liverpool echo yesterday, which pointed out that Liverpools dominence over chelsea will soon be in the league and not just cup competitions, maybe thats why Jose doesn't give us credit!

ReputationRep:
    The first changed i would make would be to drop a "d" from the title of this thread

I think we have to accept that the referee isn't infallible and introduce retrospective punishment for lesser offences that he didn't see, i.e. didn't include in his report. Simulation is the first of these to spring to mind, but a red card is too harsh. All it would take is for the actual, as opposed to possible but unlikely, threat of a caution to stop it. As it stands, simulation warrants a yellow card, but the problem is that referees are reluctant to issue them for whatever reason. Personally, i think it's because it's almost impossible to judge, so they take the half measure of allowing play to continue just in case they're wrong. I assume incidents like this don't get included in the report since the referee would have difficulty explaining why he judged that the player commited a yellow card offence and didn't recieve a yellow card

I agree that the referee should never be allowed to be intimidated. I like the idea that anyone not directly involved in the incident, unless they are the captain of one of the two teams, should be given a yellow card if they argue with the decision.
    I'm sure there are more pressing issues but...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Never happen, but he would excel in the scottish league
    Lets face it, most people would excel in the Scottish League. You've basically just got to turn up and the odds are you'll score a hat trick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KellsEnder)
    I thought we were talking about football as a whole, not just the British game.
    Sure but people on here don't think there's football outside The Premier League, except for perhaps La Liga. :rolleyes:

Salary caps would level the playing field, meaning clubs couldn't have sugar daddies and all of the best players.
    That's the idea.

And who says the salary cap has ruined rugby league?
    Just some websites/news articles I've read when comparing different sports though a lot of it is just opinion anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomer)
    I meant Sheffeield United. I tend to refer to United as Sheffield and Wednesday as... Wednesday. I'm aware there is no possible way you could have known thatbut just wanted to let you know I wasn't accusing you of being a Wednesday fan! :p:
    Wolves didn't deserve the playoffs this year and I can't say I blame you for some well deserved gloating! Good luck in the prem!

xx
    Yeah. Wolves along with Norwich have been a disappointment this season. Wolves didn't deserve to go up in 2003. We finished with more points than them so obviously higher than them in the league and we had taken 4 points off them. Sadly that's how the play offs go! Exactly why I'm gloating now.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    I just want to know what people think would be the worst ever line-up, made from top flight players (so people don't come out with obscure unibond league reserve players or something)

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    An amalgamation of the Sunderland teams from this year and 2002

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    Cygan. In every position.

Got to love him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Cygan. In every position.

Got to love him.
    :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Well i do love him, as i am a Man U fan, and i think that fans from 18 other premiership clubs love him too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova2)
    Chelsea
    (Original post by Economist)
    Chelsea
    (Original post by DaveyG17)
    Chelsea
    To follow the intelligent answers above I'll state Manchester United 98/99.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.