Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Yeah, he's a good player and my mum likes him. As for who I like, I don't go that way.
    lol so does my mum!!

ReputationRep:
    • Finished 5th in the league
    • Were battling with their local rivals Everton for 4th spot
    • Plagued with injuries
    • Their best player & captain was about to leave but stayed
    • Won the Champions League
    • Got Lucky

This season Arsenal..
    • Are currently 5th in the league
    • Battling with their local rivals Spurs for 4th spot
    • Plagued with injuries
    • Speculation that Henry may leave
    • Are through to the Champions League final
    • Have played with class (apart from tonight)

j/k

ReputationRep:
    Ashley Cole was the only first choice player out.

lol imagine if they play Milan in the final and Campbell has a terrible 1st half...i'd be biting my fingernails off! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Ashley Cole was the only first choice player out.

lol imagine if they play Milan in the final and Campbell has a terrible 1st half...i'd be biting my fingernails off! :eek:
    Lauren? Senderos? Anyway we have been plagued with injuries all season

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Lauren?
    I made a comment that Lauren might oust Eboue from the team when he comes back and you said something along the lines of 'no way'. If Eboue is on world-class form then how could Lauren get in the team...You also said something like 'we don't know what would have happened had Campbell been fit all season'.

Anyway, just be happy with your win- good luck against whoever, you may need it if you play like you did tonight

ReputationRep:
    I think its changes in competitions which need to be carried out. For a statrt expand the FA cup to include all british teams and therefore give it a best of britian tag. Second of all possibly make changes to the premiership by reducing the amounts of teams to 18. The range between top and bottom is too great at the moment and this would ease it whilst reducing the overloaded fixture list - but leagues are used as a cash cow by clubs so it would be very unpopular with the money men. Also the CL should include teams who only win their domestic leagues and therefore make it of much higher calibre whilst making the domestic leagues more competitive as teams will not be just content with a 2,3,4th spot. Instead these teams would go into the uefa cup and improve it as it is very mickey mouse nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    Also the CL should include teams who only win their domestic leagues and therefore make it of much higher calibre
    Are you saying that the winners of the SPL are better than the 2nd place in the Premier League?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    reducing the amounts of teams to 18. The range between top and bottom is too great at the moment and this would ease it whilst reducing the overloaded fixture list - but leagues are used as a cash cow by clubs so it would be very unpopular with the money men. Also the CL should include teams who only win their domestic leagues and therefore make it of much higher calibre
    Reducing it to 18 would mean more TV revenue for each club...

Many teams have won the European Cup/CL without being the league champions.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm, Henry mentioned Gerrard after the game, saying that he was an inspiration to the team. So maybe, just maybe, Henry might be thinking along the same lines as Gerrard i.e. he might stay if Arsenal win the CL.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTEReducing it to 18 would mean more TV revenue for each club...

Many teams have won the European Cup/CL without being the league champions.][/QUOTE]

I suppose your right if the amount of games shown on tv doesn't change but what about loss of matchday revenue from them games!

Are you saying that the winners of the SPL are better than the 2nd place in the Premier League?
    Surely champions league implies its a competition full of domestic champions! But it isn't. Perhaps all CL places should go to only teams from the best leagues and have no romainina teams of scots teams in it would you be happy with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Urs Meier showed himself to be nothing short of a crap referee during and after the game. The Sun then aided the campaign, (not that I realized personally). Urs made comments before the emails and abuse.

Your football knowledge at the time must be tainted. How on earth did you know he was a top ref by the way? That's a rather interesting comment.

Like I previously stated, 'Anders Frisk' was a decent referee that didn't deserve the abuse regardless of the truth. Urs did.
    Yeh because rubbish referees officiate in European Championship QFs. :rolleyes:

Urs has officiated in some big matches. He's been around the block a few times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    Yeah. Wolves along with Norwich have been a disappointment this season. Wolves didn't deserve to go up in 2003. We finished with more points than them so obviously higher than them in the league and we had taken 4 points off them. Sadly that's how the play offs go! Exactly why I'm gloating now.

Gem
    Biggest disapointment? Southampton... not that i accualy care though lol

ReputationRep:
    actually, i want more crunching tackles, i'm not a nasty person but i like to see it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    Surely champions league implies its a competition full of domestic champions! But it isn't.
    No. It's called Champions League because it has the champions. That's UEFA for you. We were better off swapping round European Cup for Champions League. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. Wolves along with Norwich have been a disappointment this season. Wolves didn't deserve to go up in 2003. We finished with more points than them so obviously higher than them in the league and we had taken 4 points off them. Sadly that's how the play offs go! Exactly why I'm gloating now.

Gem
    I know - theres something fundamentally wrong with the playoff system. I have to admit I like the idea of giving the "runners up" a chance but I don't see how it can be fair when/if the third place team is obviously better than those behind it. A twist of fate can mean a cruel end to a great season as Sheffield United know only too well. (not this year obv!) What do you reckon? Any alternative suggestions or do you think it should go with the fairest method - i.e. top three go up, bottom three come down...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomer)
    Any alternative suggestions or do you think it should go with the fairest method - i.e. top three go up, bottom three come down...
    Three up three down, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomer)
    I know - theres something fundamentally wrong with the playoff system. I have to admit I like the idea of giving the "runners up" a chance but I don't see how it can be fair when/if the third place team is obviously better than those behind it. A twist of fate can mean a cruel end to a great season as Sheffield United know only too well. (not this year obv!) What do you reckon? Any alternative suggestions or do you think it should go with the fairest method - i.e. top three go up, bottom three come down...
    They'll never change it ever. It's so exciting and great for the neutral and it generates more money for the clubs involved. So harsh for those that miss out though.
    3rd place could have 25 points more than 4th, 5th and 6th and yet don't go up despite being better over the whole season, not just 1 game. But all the teams know the system at the start of the season I suppose.

Gem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Red Phoenix*)
    Biggest disapointment? Southampton... not that i accualy care though lol
    True. We took 6 points off them and they were the poorest side to come to BL. They played worse than Crewe, Brighton and Millwall put together!

Gem

ReputationRep:
    They'll never change it ever. It's so exciting and great for the neutral and it generates more money for the clubs involved. So harsh for those that miss out though.
    3rd place could have 25 points more than 4th, 5th and 6th and yet don't go up despite being better over the whole season, not just 1 game. But all the teams know the system at the start of the season I suppose.

Gem
    You enjoy being conned into extra games I take it? We have a saying in the Premier League you know: the Premiership never lies. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You enjoy being conned into extra games I take it? We have a saying in the Premier League you know: the Premiership never lies. :cool:
    Erm nope. :confused:

The premiership never lies. Let's hope it's not telling lies when it shows the Blades 4th from bottom next year in May then.

Gem

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.