Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    It's a one off so you never know I but I think Barcelona are gonna take some stopping. (Assuming they get there).

Also this is the 13th final for an English club. Sorry if I've cursed anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    In goal has to be calamity James, I think. If we are talking top flight.

Then we'll have mr Cygan at CB accompanied by Cygan again and yes, Cygan at every defensive position.

Upfront HAS to be Kyle partnered by the astonishingly average Robin van Persie.

And yes, I support Arsenal.
    James is a very decent goalkeeper! And van Persie is quality! He really is. Got to be Benjani and Dia up front really. And how about Kostas Chalkias in goal?

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame that Liverpool v Chelsea isnt the final. I'm sad to say this but I cant see any result other than a Liverpool win in the final...unless Gerrard, Alonso and Carragher get injured beforehand :P

3-0 Liverpool for me

ReputationRep:
    There is nothing to be cursed .. Well I don't believe in stats and patterns; they are mostly due to coincedence

ReputationRep:
    1-0 west ham, sneaking a goal about 60 minutes in then holding on for dear life, it's gonna happen, it is destiny haha!

ReputationRep:
    Shocking penalty but well anticipated save

ReputationRep:
    I think the fairest thing to say is that the CL seriously need to rething its rules. Both Arsenal (if they win) and Spurs deserve to be in the CL. The holders position in the CL the next season should be guaranteed without impacting on qualifiers from their domestic competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eru Iluvatar)
    I think the fairest thing to say is that the CL seriously need to rething its rules. Both Arsenal (if they win) and Spurs deserve to be in the CL. The holders position in the CL the next season should be guaranteed without impacting on qualifiers from their domestic competition.
    I disagree. My thoughts are that if a team is good enough to compete on the biggest stage then they should be good enough to at least get 4th domestically (obviously injuries and bad luck can affect this). It shouldnt matter if a team wins it or not. Liverpool shouldnt have been in it this year imo. Although im not going to complain because it favours us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I disagree. My thoughts are that if a team is good enough to compete on the biggest stage then they should be good enough to at least get 4th domestically (obviously injuries and bad luck can affect this). It shouldnt matter if a team wins it or not. Liverpool shouldnt have been in it this year imo. Although im not going to complain because it favours us
    Well, you could argue that if a team is good enough to win on a regular enough basis on the biggest stage, regular enough to win the premier european competition, then they're good enough to compete on the biggest stage, surely?

ReputationRep:
    Van Persie (and Eboue) are promising players, but they have a long way to go.

Does anyone remember when Celtic signed Rafael Scheidt (yes, pronounced ****e) for 4.8m :eek: ...Scheidt by name, Scheidt by nature!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    A team who is good enough to beat the best sides in europe, to get through to win the champions league, surely shows that they are good enough to be in the competition. And if a side focuses on winning the champions league, instead of succeeding in their domestic competition, is it fair that they are punished so by not even being allowed to defend their title.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    In goal has to be calamity James, I think. If we are talking top flight.

Then we'll have mr Cygan at CB accompanied by Cygan again and yes, Cygan at every defensive position.

Upfront HAS to be Kyle partnered by the astonishingly average Robin van Persie.

And yes, I support Arsenal.
    Van Persie? He has been great since he joined, scored some fine and crucial goals. He hasnt been the same since his injury but he will be back, a massive talent imo

ReputationRep:
    Anyone also noticed how so many players in the world are Arsenal rejects at some point!?

Wiltord... Hartson... Boa Morte... there is a huge list, but I must go and luncheon.

Either Arsenal have too much talent to pick from in the squad, or they are horribly impatient and bin everyone.

ReputationRep:
    As a gunner im disappointed in Arsenals inability to secure a top three position. It should be a formality, really. But I suppose there have been injuries and some shocking bobble performances from the team in the post Vieira reshuffle. So they need to win the CL now to actually sort it out and get into Europe.

ReputationRep:
    There's something I don't quite understand here. The exact same thing happened last year with Everton & Liverpool did it not? And they sorted that one out, as far as I know, without too much inconvenience to either side. Didn't Liverpool player a qualifying round against Total Network Solutions from Wales?

I don't suppose TNS were too upset getting to play against the european champions for a couple of games. Couldn't Arsenal do the same thing if they win it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    There's something I don't quite understand here. The exact same thing happened last year with Everton & Liverpool did it not? And they sorted that one out, as far as I know, without too much inconvenience to either side. Didn't Liverpool player a qualifying round against Total Network Solutions from Wales?

I don't suppose TNS were too upset getting to play against the european champions for a couple of games. Couldn't Arsenal do the same thing if they win it?
    The problem last year was that there was that the UEFA rules stated that it would be upto the English FA to choose (presumably thinking that the FA would choose the champions rather than the 4th placed team, as was the case in Spain a few years earlier). Add to this the FA official website still had a message on from the previous year(when Arsenala nd Chelsea had got to the quarter finals) that if a team wins the CL but finished 5th or lower, then they would take the 4th spot and the 4th team would go into the uefa cup.

The UEFA rules have been made more explicit now and clearly states that if the 5th (or lower) team won the CL they would play in next year's competition and the 4th placed team would not. Spurs have no grounds for complaints.

As far as I'm concerned, the champions have to be in it. Would be ludicrous if they were not.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt Henry will go. Not so sure about Pires.. Perhaps.

Van Persie and Adebayor and getting better and better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    I doubt Henry will go. Not so sure about Pires.. Perhaps.

Van Persie and Adebayor and getting better and better.
    How can you say Adebayor is getting better and better?...it's only a game or two since that display at Fratton Park, and only a few games since he joined.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea

ReputationRep:
    Adebayor is quite poor IMO.. He isn't getting any better :s: and I REALLY HOPE he isn't played in the CL final

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.