Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Umm.. Judging from how many goals and assists since his move? Well I don't analyse him as I do with Liverpool players but everytime I see him it's always scoring, creating, assisting or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mexus)
    Adebayor is quite poor IMO.. He isn't getting any better :s: and I REALLY HOPE he isn't played in the CL final
    Isn't he cup-tied? And you're an Arsenal fan?

Hehehehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Isn't he cup-tied? And you're an Arsenal fan?

Hehehehe.
    I Know he is cup tied ... Wasn't sure when the "cup-tie" would be over

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Anyone also noticed how so many players in the world are Arsenal rejects at some point!?

Wiltord... Hartson... Boa Morte... there is a huge list, but I must go and luncheon.

Either Arsenal have too much talent to pick from in the squad, or they are horribly impatient and bin everyone.

Good point although Wiltord served his time :p: . Upson and Pennant have also played well since leaving. Ashley Cole mentioned how annoying the 'French cliques' were at Arsenal (yes i know Wiltord is French), maybe that has something to do with it. All those players would get into the Arsenal squad now imo, Boa Morte would even make the starting Xi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mexus)
    I Know he is cup tied ... Wasn't sure when the "cup-tie" would be over
    Till next season. That's obvious :pwnd:

Maybe it's PMT :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDuck)
    James is a very decent goalkeeper! And van Persie is quality! He really is. Got to be Benjani and Dia up front really. And how about Kostas Chalkias in goal?
    3 ex pompey players i see

chalkias was absolutly atroicious. what about sander westervelt?

ReputationRep:
    Boumsoung should be in there! Igor Biscan. Helder Postiga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedsblade)
    True. We took 6 points off them and they were the poorest side to come to BL. They played worse than Crewe, Brighton and Millwall put together!

Gem
    Thats cause there team is full of kids. ricardo fuller who can only score in the second flight.

Then i can't say much. Pompey havn't won at Brammel (i know it's probly the wrong spelling) Lane since the 60's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    The problem last year was that there was that the UEFA rules stated that it would be upto the English FA to choose (presumably thinking that the FA would choose the champions rather than the 4th placed team, as was the case in Spain a few years earlier). Add to this the FA official website still had a message on from the previous year(when Arsenala nd Chelsea had got to the quarter finals) that if a team wins the CL but finished 5th or lower, then they would take the 4th spot and the 4th team would go into the uefa cup.

The UEFA rules have been made more explicit now and clearly states that if the 5th (or lower) team won the CL they would play in next year's competition and the 4th placed team would not. Spurs have no grounds for complaints.

As far as I'm concerned, the champions have to be in it. Would be ludicrous if they were not.
    True... i would feel sorry for spurs though. then again look at all the fuss everton made when they had the prospect of noy going into the CL and went out in the qualifiers...bloody poor!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    As far as I'm concerned, the champions have to be in it. Would be ludicrous if they were not.
    Completely disagree. It's good that they stopped World Cup winners to automatically qualify for the next finals. if you look back at the last 4/5 world cup finals, the winners haven't done so well because of the absence of competitve matches for 4 years.

But I know that has no relevance with the Champions league issue but everyone would agree the top 4 teams at the end of the season deserve to be given a champions league place because they've been the best 4 teams in the season, end of story. If Arsenal wins the CL, they would have done a great job but a champions league place on a plate when they haven't been good enough to get it throught the league doesn't sound right.

It all comes down to this and I want to hear from anyone who can disagree with this statement; A team who worked hard for a 4th place should not be denied a place in the CL through something they have no control over.

ReputationRep:
    Ricardo Fuller is a bloody good Championship player, and I think given the chance he could do alright in the Premiership

ReputationRep:
    But a place is always availible for the title holders. If someone finished bottom in in France but wins the CL, they will be in the tournament the following year as the highest seeds. Qualification for the CL has always been either from league placings or winning the whole things, the only exception being recently in La Liga, Premiership and Serie A where the regulations were ambiguous. Until this season of course. It may seem unlucky for Spurs (would be) but in terms of lodging a complaint or whatever, they dont really have a leg to stand on is what I'm saying.

A team who worked hard for a 4th place should not be denied a place in the CL through something they have no control over
    Well they could have finished 3rd and it [ironically] would've been Liverpool in the situation and not Tottenham. Everyone knew the rules after the fiasco from last year.

ReputationRep:
    On a plate... Arsenal would have had to go through teams far superior to the likes of Birmingham City, and in a knockout style competition to fight their way into the next CL. Tottenham are UEFA material, but aren't really that special - aside from Keane, Davids, Lennon and Robinson. Not CL material, IMO - thought in a couple of years if they continue their improvement.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Boumsong.

He is an absolute bobble of a player.

He and Pascal Cygan would be an awesome combination at the back. Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    Postiga
    Having watched his performances for Porto and Portugal you can tell he's not a bad player. In fact he could be a very good player if he finds his best position...he's not a number 9 and he's not a typical number 10 :confused: but he has a solid technique and a decent football brain.

He wasn't that bad for Spurs, he was just played as an out-and-out striker, which he isn't. He scored a couple of important goals for us, and the fans used to like him. Reading are interested in bringing him back to the Prem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Yes, Boumsong.

He is an absolute bobble of a player.

He and Pascal Cygan would be an awesome combination at the back. Lmao.
    Boum and Cygan have got to be dead certs.

Melchiot and Sun Jihai at full-back, Taibi organising the defence.

ReputationRep:
    GK:Taibi
    LB:J Lloyd Samuel
    CB:Cygan
    CB:Gary Breen
    RB:Tebily
    LM: Gronkjaer
    RM: Djemba Djemba
    CM: Fletcher
    FC: Agustin Delgado (played for southampton for 2 seasons, something like 5 appearences, obviously 0 goals)
    FC: Ameobi
    FC: Forlan (In his Man Utd days)

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Darren Peacock would be a stern challenge for anyone wanting to call themselves "worst PL defender EVER". The very same graeme souness who considered boumsong a world beater was the one who brought him to rovers, so that must be a seal of disapproval!

EDIT: A lot of the players mentioned seem more to be disappointments rather than just being abysmal. Cygan/forlan just didn't look as good as those performing around them which just seemed to show them up. - Playing in the shadow of Campbell/Van Horsie at the top of their games must be pretty daunting.

ReputationRep:
    Why should the European Champions, the team who beat all others to claim the biggest club competition prize in football, be kept from defending their title by a team that finished 4th in their own league, winning nothing? Liverpool actually one something which was relevant to the competition, all Everton did was manage to finish 4th. Tottenham have done nothing this season, whereas if Arsenal win the competition they would truly deserve the spot.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.