• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Le Tissier was immense.

James Beattie kind of reminds me of him a little bit. But not enough, unfortunately.
    Le Tissier was one of the most skillful players ever to play in the Premiership. If it wasn't for Cantona he'd be in my team. He had a great volley yes, but that exemplified his brilliant technique. He also had an awesome penalty record, something like 49/50.

Beattie is a target man with very limited technique, Le Tiss was a number 10 style player with class. Maybe your getting mixed up because they were both at Soton together?:p:

ReputationRep:
    But we also really wouldn't know who is 'best' individually either, because styles of football were different, and some players which may not have played will in the past may have suited the newer style of football, and others who were brilliant in the past might not have fit in at all, as well as the quality of the players they played against, and their styles too...

All rules for this sort of thing are arbitary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    But there's no point in conversing over who would and would not have played well together. For all we know, had Tore Andre Flo and Stan Collymore played together, they could have formed the greatest strike partnership ever. But well never know who combines well and who doesn't, so we might as well just list the best players in each position.
    Good point, you can only say that about players who played together at club level e.g Keane and Scholes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Common sense prevails. The public backlash against mclaren and we finnaly get a manager wholl have us playing entertaining footie and wont be afraid to chop people.

Agreed. Maybe players will get a chance based on merit as opposed to reputation.

ReputationRep:
    tv confirmation like in rugby, thatll sort the diving sods out so theres no false penalties like against arsenal on tuesday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Well boro play good footy don't they?
    Err no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    i think that is slightly biased. Maybe Arsenal were a few years ago, but now they line up with a 4-5-1, are struggling in the league and just take a look at the results of the last few KO matches.
    I think any team that deliberately employs a five man midfield at home (where they have a superb record) to nullify the threat of John O'Shea and Darren Fletcher deserves to be given the title of best attacking team the world has ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    Toulouse v. Munster in the Heiniken Cuop this year. Munster foot went out of play and the try was given, despite the video ref being called on.
    It wouldnt resolve the issue completely.

ReputationRep:
    Fbaregas needs to have a good game too.

ReputationRep:
    Well he hasn't taken the job yet... are we getting a bit ahead of ourselves?

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic One of the most dramatic few minutes of my sport-spectating career, along with Wilkinson's drop goal for the RWC 03 final and the Liverpool-Milan penalty shootout.

Could be in for another dramatic few moments in the next couple of weeks with the relegation battle :|

ReputationRep:
    This is inspired a little by the premiership best XI, but thats kind of lost momentum, and hey the world cup is coming up... So lets have a group effort on this one, eh! Modern and olden days players... So I guess ill start... Feel free to debate my and other choices though. That's what its about.

GK - Kahn
    LB - Carlos
    RB -
    CB - Beckenbauer
    CB -
    LM - Klinsmann
    CM -
    CM - Ronaldinho
    RM -
    CF - Maradonna
    CF - Pele

Thoughts??

Subs
    GK -
    DEF -
    MID -
    ATT -
    ANY -

ReputationRep:
    Come on you pompy!!

I am an Arsenal fan, so totally removed from it all... But I am loving Portsmouths fightback.

ReputationRep:
    Yashin
    Alberto Beckenbauer Moore Carlos
    Klinsmann Zidane Cruyff Garrincha
    Maradona Pele

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    The hand on the keeper's shoulder was blatent.
    I'll try to find a video of it for you.

At the very least there is contention so his mistake is understandable

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7ORP...%20euro%202004
    The comments below show that there is support for Meier's decision.
    Terry's arm preventing the keeper from jumping is clear.
    Never, ever a foul. Terry is clearly jumping for the ball using his arms which is what any player does. Ricardo moves into Terry and he is sandwiched.

ReputationRep:
    GK Schmeichel
    LB Cole
    RB Neville
    CB Adams
    CB Terry
    LM Giggs
    RM Beckham
    CM Vieira
    ACM Bergkamp
    CF Henry
    CF Cantona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    Schmiechel

G. Neville Stam Adams Irwin

Beckham R.Keane Vieira Giggs

Shearer Henry

If your team doesn't look like that, it's wrong.
    Vieira for Keane imo
    I thought Keane was overrated tbh, as did my brother who is a Manc supporter

Touch call between Cantona and Shearer.

Bergkamp was a class apart, have to have him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Against Boro who had a lot of injuries and played a lot of non-starters who were crud anyway? Chelsea showed their attacking potential against West Ham and Everton (replay in the FA Cup).
    As I said, mentality as much as anything and the attacking display we bring when we perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlBza...rton%20arsenal

Against the team who finished 4th in the prem

ReputationRep:
    Are we just putting forward names then because it'd be too much of a headache to select a team myself? Many of the best have been mentioned already but I'd also like to put forward:

Puskas
    Billy Wright
    Van Basten
    Di Stefano
    Best
    Eusebio
    Baresi
    Zoff
    Socrates
    Zico
    Platini
    Banks
    Stanley Matthews

ReputationRep:
    rep delivered LFC girl

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.