Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)

Some of the suggestions on this thread are strange. Both Vieira and Keane were better than what Gerrard is now. And Jamie redknapp ffs
    I don't agree, I would have put Gerrard if he had been playing at that level as consistantly as Vieira or Keane, but they both played top football over a longer period of time. In three years or so, Gerrard will be in my team

ReputationRep:
    Put Beckham in there - he's volatile as he showed in World Cup 98, or...

Interviewer: 'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
    David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre, on the right and occasionally on the left side.'

ReputationRep:
    Formation - 4-2-4

-------------Buffon-------------
    Zambrotta-Nesta-Stam-Maldini
    -------Gerrard---Makelele------
    ----Totti----------------God----
    ---------Henry------Sheva-----
    And ofcourse we all know who 'God' is..

ReputationRep:
    Cisse is the god of fifa 06. In real life tho hes nuthing more than a ***** ***

ReputationRep:
    ^ only if Cahill is at Man United by then.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to sound condescending or superior, but anyone who put Roberto Carlos for the best left back ever needs a labotomy.

GK: Dino Zoff
    RB: Beckenbauer
    CB: Baresi
    CB: Moore
    LB: Maldini
    RM: Garrincha
    CM: Zidane
    LM: Best
    AM: Cryuff
    CF: Pele
    CF: Maradonna

ReputationRep:
    Rooney should have won it.

Still, he is a great player and a model footballer. Never makes the front pages and has buried all accusations that he doesn't perform for the big matches. Young players could learn a hell of a lot by following his example.

Plus he's bloody arrogant, and I do love an arrogant footballer. Cantona anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I was so chuffed for Boro last night. Well done lads!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esx77)
    Problem with henry recently is when he scores he rarely celebrates with the fans and doesn't even put on a happy face.
    I know what you mean. I remember the days when he used to get really fired up and even get in trouble a couple of times. To be honest i prefered that. Now he just seems to score and he is obviously pleased but doesnt show any great passion. I not sure why but i suspect it is because he is just loves playing football but realises there are more important things in life.

ReputationRep:
    His teams have beaten England in the quarter-finals of the past two major tournaments; could Big Phil make it a hat-trick in Germany 2006?

Brazil in World Cup 2002 and Portugal in World Cup 2004: England have lost in the last eight twice in the past four years and on both occasions the opposition was led by England coach-elect Luiz Felipe Scolari.

In World Cup 2006 it might happen again – Scolari’s Portugal could face Sven Goran Eriksson’s England in the quarter-finals.

Below are the four possible outcomes based on the World Cup draw where England are in Group B and Portugal in Group D. In the first two scenarios the teams would meet in the quarter-finals; in the other two they could not meet until the final (assuming they both make it that far).

It remains to be seen how the English public would react to another defeat at the hands of Big Phil only to see him take over as England coach a week or two later…

Scenario one:
    England win Group B and Portugal win Group D
    If England win their last 16 match (against the runner-up of Group A - probably Poland) in Stuttgart and Portugal win their last 16 match (against the runner-up of Group C - probably Holland or Argentina) in Nuremburg then the two teams would meet in the quarter-final on July 1 in Gelsenkirchen.

Scenario two
    England finish as runner-up in Group B and Portugal finish runner-up in Group D
    If England win their last 16 match (against the winner of Group A - probably Germany) in Munich and Portugal win their last 16 match (against the winner of Group C - probably Holland or Argentina) in Leipzig then the two teams would meet in the quarter-final on June 30 in Berlin.

Scenario three
    England win Group B and Portugal finish runner-up in Group D
    The teams could only meet in the final

Scenario four
    England finish as runner-up in Group B and Portugal win Group D
    The teams could only meet in the final

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Vieira for Keane, not a chance imo.

Some of the suggestions on this thread are strange. Both Vieira and Keane were better than what Gerrard is now. And Jamie redknapp ffs
    Keane and Vieira were both in better teams, it makes their life i hell of a lot easier when they have quality players around them. (Playing in a winning team with the likes of henry, bergkamp, ljunberg or cole/yorke, beckham, scholes, giggs, cantona) <- much better than anything liverpool have offered

Gerrard didn't have this luxury to the same extent and has lead them to levels they haven't really deserved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam The Eagle)
    I don't want to sound condescending or superior, but anyone who put Roberto Carlos for the best left back ever needs a labotomy.

GK: Dino Zoff
    RB: Beckenbauer
    CB: Baresi
    CB: Moore
    LB: Maldini
    RM: Garrincha
    CM: Zidane
    LM: Best
    AM: Cryuff
    CF: Pele
    CF: Maradonna
    I did it so I could put Maldini centre back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oblivious)
    wife beater and kid beater, what more could you want?
    Is he??:eek:

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't leave out Baggio personally....my fav player ever...turns a game with a stroke of beautiful genius....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    I know what you mean. I remember the days when he used to get really fired up and even get in trouble a couple of times. To be honest i prefered that. Now he just seems to score and he is obviously pleased but doesnt show any great passion. I not sure why but i suspect it is because he is just loves playing football but realises there are more important things in life.
    Arguably he's doing so, so as to sort of delicately detach himself, so when he does move on, it's perhaps made easier for both himself and the fans...a sort of slow, ever growing detachment process...a deliberate one. It's quite wise, if indeed this is what he is doing.

ReputationRep:
    When i think Cisse, i think Vassell of Man City....similar players, i'd probably prefer an in-form Vassell to an in-form Cisse. Cisse always left me underwhelmed prior to Liverpool, i.e. his club performances, particularly his appearances for Country, they were never all that good...and Trezeguet for that matter too.

Cisse - didn't think much of him prior to his joining Liverpool, and this hasn't changed. Sparks of brilliance, yet sparks (more) of medicrity. They should be thinking of buying Darren Bent...i think he really could be the real deal, 20 odd goals this season too, impressive, and i don't think he will be a one season, flash in a pan, of Kevin Philips proportions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    When i think Cisse, i think Vassell of Man City....similar players, i'd probably prefer an in-form Vassell to an in-form Cisse. Cisse always left me underwhelmed prior to Liverpool, i.e. his club performances, particularly his appearances for Country, they were never all that good...and Trezeguet for that matter too.

Cisse - didn't think much of him prior to his joining Liverpool, and this hasn't changed. Sparks of brilliance, yet sparks (more) of medicrity. They should be thinking of buying Darren Bent...i think he really could be the real deal, 20 odd goals this season too, impressive, and i don't think he will be a one season, flash in a pan, of Kevin Philips proportions.
    Trezeguet is the ultimate modern goal-poacher. Cisse doesn't have those same instincts but he is still a useful player...you're allowed to have a crap first touch if you have that kind of pace.

Bent, imho, is a very poor man's michael Owen...with less pace, poorer touch and limited predatory instincts. The cup-tie at Boro is a prime example of this. My theory is that defenders didn't know what to expect of him, which is why he scored so many at the start of the season. He's a decent Premiership player at best. I may be biased but Sven deserves to be sacked if he leaves Defoe behind again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Trezeguet is the ultimate modern goal-poacher. Cisse doesn't have those same instincts but he is still a useful player...you're allowed to have a crap first touch if you have that kind of pace.

Bent, imho, is a very poor man's michael Owen...with less pace, poorer touch and limited predatory instincts. The cup-tie at Boro is a prime example of this. My theory is that defenders didn't know what to expect of him, which is why he scored so many at the start of the season. He's a decent Premiership player at best. I may be biased but Sven deserves to be sacked if he leaves Defoe behind again.
    well, it's a big ask for Bent to come in at the world cup, and if called upon, to be a success...but we had this with danny mills to a similar extent *i think* with his excellent performances at european 2004. Vassell was always useful as a utility player, coming on and adding pace to england games in the last 20 mins or so. I can't comment too much on Bent, as tbh, its an opinion of limited validity. As for Owen, and his coming back from injury....his progress will no doubt be heavily scrutinized, i feel anxious for him. I just hope, for his sake at least, that's he's not been overly keen, and dangerously so, in rushing back from injury to prove his fitness to England camp and Sven, i hope he's been doing a reserve game or two...

ReputationRep:
    taibi

ReputationRep:
    He's trying to copy Cantona, making himself look all pretentious. It gets on my nerves but when he's that good he can celebrate however he likes.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.