Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard is still learning, he is not as good as Vieira or Keane in their primes. He goes missing far too often in big games for one and has a tendency to give the ball away far more than the other two (though thats vastly improved). For me he's only had one season where he's really been simply sensational and the best player in the country and that was 03/04

ReputationRep:
    -----------------Yashin-----------------
    Zanetti---Beck'bauer----Baresi-----Maldini
    Platini-----Zidane----Ronaldinho----Cruyff
    ------------Pele----Maradonna-----------

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferrus)
    Would it be premature to suggest that English club's have now regained their preminence in European club football that they lost post-Heyschel?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    About 1 in 4 I'd say

ReputationRep:
    Barca-Boro more likely than Boro-Arsenal IMHO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Gerrard is still learning, he is not as good as Vieira or Keane in their primes. He goes missing far too often in big games for one and has a tendency to give the ball away far more than the other two (though thats vastly improved). For me he's only had one season where he's really been simply sensational and the best player in the country and that was 03/04
    I'm no liverpool fan, but he certainly didn't go missing in the champ league final. He gives the ball away more cos he is more creative tah either keane or vieira. Much bigger threat to the opposition goal both through his own strikes and his creativity. Inevitably, when things don't come off in that department, the ball may get given away.

ReputationRep:
    Yet he won Player of the Year this year (something Vieira never did), played in a Champions League Final as captain (something Keane and Vieira never did), scores more goals than both ever did. As for going missing in big games, I remember two goals against Olympiakos and Milan that were important.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why everyones so hot on Kahn either. Dino Zoff, Gordon Banks, Lev Yashin and Peter Schmiechel were all better than him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmocrates)
    I'm no liverpool fan, but he certainly didn't go missing in the champ league final. He gives the ball away more cos he is more creative tah either keane or vieira. Much bigger threat to the opposition goal both through his own strikes and his creativity. Inevitably, when things don't come off in that department, the ball may get given away.
    Fair point about the creativity but he had a horrible tendency before Rafa came along to try the 'hollywood' ball over the top FAR too much. In the last 2 years he's learnt to keep the ball a lot better and retain posession. Benitez said it perfectly when he said something like

"He runs a lot but we need to teach him to run less but more intellegently"

Re the big games issue. Yes he was fantastic vs Milan on the biggest stage of all and no one can take that away from him. But apart from that I can think of only a single game in the last 2 years against big opposition in the league for example (Chelsea, United, Arsenal) where he's really bossed the game like he can do. I dont think this is totally due to a lack of talent but often a change in his mentality since he's been made captain. His goal vs Olympiacos last season was of course very impressive but for 89 minutes he had a quiet game and from the club captain and someone who made such unhelpful comments before the game, you expect more. He also got a very petulent booking and was lucky not to be sent off but also got himself a suspension for the next round. I would say Pongolle who came on as sub was the ultimate key to that game and really got us going.

Don't get me wrong, I love Stevie to bits and when all is said and done I think he will end his career as one of the best to ever play in this country but he's not there yet and still has scope for improvement (thats how good he is or can be).

ReputationRep:
    I missed the previous "awards", so here are mine, which obviously, has to be:

Team:
    GK: F Barthez - to be dropped for the World Cup
    RB: the right-back for Middlesbrough's defeated UEFA Cup semi-final opponents, who allowed Stewart Downing to pump loads and loads of crosses into the box for Maccarone, Viduka, Hasselbaink and Yakubu
    CBs: the Middlesbrough pair at the 7-0 loss to Arsenal
    LB: A Cole - lots of exercise with a girl aloud, no football though
    RM: the genius helping the RB
    CM: P Vieira, o-o-o-oh...
    CM: C Makelele in Chelsea's 3-0 loss to Middlesbrough
    LM: S Wright-Phillips - Chelsea kidnapped him and hide him behind a garden gnome when he's not out on the wrong wing
    CF: E Heskey
    CF: Can you name a Sunderland striker? Neither can I.

Coached by:
    G Souness & M McCarthy & R Keane. Together.

Subs:
    GK: Calamity Kahn - his own team's fans sing songs about him looking like a donkey as he steals Calamity James' "Calamity" to rule himself out of the German #1 shirt and into some a nice warm cup of scheisse
    D: Titus Fumble, Newcastle Comedy Club
    D: Jean Elaine Boumsong, Fumble's partner
    M: E Diouf - How far is it to the fans? Spitting Distance
    F: R Huth - Mourinho's "Wimbledon-style forward" when losing to Barcelona

Player of the Year:
    Arsenal's Irish Goalkeeper Col O'Toure for his exceedingly good performances in the Champions' League and especially his stunning full-dive effort to tip a Wayne Rooney rocket round the post. Before United won 2-0.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    It's the Writers award, which is probably better than the PFA imo.
    You're joking right? The players would much rather win the PFA, no question.

ReputationRep:
    Gk - Buffon

Rb - Cafu
    Lb - Cole
    Cb - Terry
    Cb - Nesta

Cm - Nedved
    Cm - Gerrard

AML - Ronaldinho
    AMR - Kaka

CF - Henry
    CF - Shevchenko

ReputationRep:
    Goalkeeper: Buffon
    Left Back: A. Cole
    Right Back: Heinze
    Centre Back: Terry
    Centre Back: Carragher
    Defensive Mid Centre: Makalele
    Attacking Mid Centre: Ronaldinho
    L Midfield: Lampard
    R Midfield: Rooney
    Striker: Shevchenko
    Striker: Henry

Formation: 442 Diamond

Subs: Nesta, Cech, Nedved, Gerrard, Drogba

ReputationRep:
    Kahn isn't/wasn't even the best German goalkeeper ever. Sepp Maier would rank above him. As would Harold schumacher just for his antics .

Why does everybody put Ronaldinho in CM, surely Zico is a better player in that position? Fine if you have an actual midfeilder alongside him but two deep lying forwards in central midfield is just strange. Everyone might as well do this:

GK: Campos (mexican goalie could play as a striker)
    RB: Cruyyf (knew how to defend)
    LB: Tostao (couldn't defend but is a great winger)
    CB: Gullit (had a mean header)
    CB: Rijkard (likewise)
    AM: Ronaldinho (won the World player of the year 2005)
    AM: Zidane (who I think was better than Ronaldinho)
    RW: De Stefano (One of the great strikers)
    LW: Maradona (Legendary number 10/striker)
    FW: Pele (Ultimate Legend)
    FW: Eusebio (Legend)

A totally attacking team. Beats everyone (They'd win games 10-9 :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    A firm defence with a team total football ahead of them. Nobody wants a Best World XI that isn't entertaining.
    I'd forsake a few victories for the sexiest side ever to play football.

Strictly speaking the most succesful side would probably be built upon a firm defence and win most games by one or two goals to nil.

ReputationRep:
    Buffon
    GNeville Terry Carra Maldini
    Makalele
    Kaka Gerrard Dinho
    Rooney Henry

ReputationRep:
    Kahn was and is an amazing goalkeeper. I think he would definitely take a top 5 spot in the greatest goalkeepers of all time. Yes, I overlooked some older ones... but shame as it is, it is easy to forget some of the legendary players... But I disagree, I would have said Kahn for his style was the greatest German keeper ever. Then again, I'm only half German

And yes, Zico is a definite must.

ReputationRep:
    Kahn
    Cafu---Terry---Nest-egg---Carlos
    Kaka------Nedved-----Ronaldinho
    Totti
    Schevchenko---Henry

ReputationRep:
    Barca Boro would be the most despicable defacement of the game in history.

Maybe a slight exaggeration, but let's be reasonable here...

Gary Breen squares up to Ronaldinho... and...

Oh ****, he's done him!

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ, they are insane.

And they couldn't put away the Hammers??! Lol, bizarre. Good luck Boro, from Arsenal

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.