Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0002/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: liverpool vs west ham cup final vote for the winner
    west ham
    39.02%
    liverpool
    60.98%

ReputationRep:
    Yep, just finished reading my book (Colby Buzzel 'My War' - comical), switched TV on, channel 4, and yeah, media intrusion has put an end to his interest. I can't blame him - what with this gutter press, and let's face it...

SGE - quiet, calm, collective character = has courted considerable press stories, fake sheikh, extra marrital affair....et cetera.

Scolari - extrovert compared to Erikkson's introverted personality. From a BBC report, he is anti-homosexuality, speaks his mind...the media would have a field day with Scolari, think of Erikksons relations with them, multiply by 1000 :eek:

Logically, it should be Boro's McClaren - Euro experiences at Man Utd, Boro...knows the set-up, obviously the English language - smooth transition as he's currently in the set-up, knows the players well...

Fresh start, fresh impetus - for this only, Allardyce would be an attractive choice, very limited European experience, worked wonders with Bolton albeit with huge wage bill, so make what you will of the 'wonder' he has created and continues to maintain.

I'd go for McClaren - for those wanting total revamp of things, fresh impetus, Allardyce arguably. Arguably a greater risk than that of McClaren.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cindy)
    Mmmmmmnn..:mad:
    It's ok you can take consolation in the fact you are about to win the league for the second year on the run

Has everyone voted for Lil Luis for player of the round? If not vote here! so he can still be at the final even though he can't play

ReputationRep:
    Great comback for them, I didn't think they could do it but they proved me long.

Good luck Boro

ReputationRep:
    Championed by Moyles, Kay and Christie, it's that tune again!
    http://www.noblepr.co.uk/Press_Relea...ny_england.htm

Tony Christie
    (Is This The Way To) The World Cup
    UK release May 29th on Tug Records

So this is what happens when two guys go to a Wycombe Wanderers game, get talking about football songs, write new lyrics for the biggest selling single of 2005, have the demo played by Chris Moyles on Radio 1 and are then approached by the original performer who loves the new version (and football) so much that he offers to record the new version.

Chris Moyles “Trust me when I tell you this will go round in your head all day”

This new recording by football commentator Ian Stringer and musical legend Big George Webley (whose credits include theme tunes for Have I Got News For You and The Office) has been snapped up by Tug Records.

Ian: “People love ‘Amarillo. I knew that the Terraces demanded an Amarillo-style World Cup song. Every ground I go to (and that is over 20 this season alone) they play the Comic Relief version and the fans sing along. Our version of the song connects with the terraces, it is about the passion and desire of England competing in – and winning – the World Cup. I want to be in Berlin on the 9th July to watch England in the World Cup Final and just before kick-off hear "Our" song.”

All proceeds received by Ian and George will go to SportsAid

Big George: “Football is about more than how much the top players earn and the deals their agents can land them. Winning the World Cup will bring joy and aspiration to millions of young and old alike. I’ve seen how important sporting success is to young people who don’t live a glamorous lifestyle. If it wasn’t for SportsAid we might not have seen the likes of Freddie Flintoff, Kelly Holmes and Steve Redgrave. That’s why we’re giving everything to SportsAid”

Legendary singer Tony Christie spent seven weeks at number 1 in 2005 with the re-release of the Neil Sedaka penned Amarillo. Proceeds from the million-selling single - which also featured comedian Peter Kay - went to Comic Relief.

Tony Christie: “The new lyrics made me laugh when I heard them and when Chris Moyles said on air that I should record it I couldn’t resist! This has every chance of being number 1 when England wins the World Cup.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(IS THIS THE WAY TO) THE WORLD CUP

All across the nation
    You can taste the expectation
    Finish what we started
    ENGLAND the lion hearted

Every single player (woe oh oh oh oh)
    Holds our destiny (woe oh oh oh oh)
    and they'll all be heroes
    on plasma screen TVs

ENGLAND WIN THE WORLD CUP
    Dig Deep, don't come unstuck
    Stevie G score for me

40 years, who gives a "Oi"
    Beckham scores a penalty

sha la la la la la la la ENGLAND
    sha la la la la la la la
    we've got the greatest football league

Every fan is singing
    It's a ROAR - ENGLAND'S winning
    Let's go down the local
    Have a laugh and get all vocal

we're gonna cruise the group stage (woe oh oh oh oh)
    we should win all three (woe oh oh oh oh)
    the last 16's easy 'cause we've got Wayne Rooney eeeeee

Michael Owen's always good luck
    Sven'll dance like old Nobby

40 years, who gives a "Oi"
    Then knight them all Your Majesty

sha la la la la la la la
    we've got the greatest football league

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

New lyrics by
    Big George Webley
    and Ian Stringer
    Essential Web links

Tony Christie – Official Site
    www.tonychristie.com

Gut Records
    www.gutrecords.com

ReputationRep:
    That's strange, I was thinking that "Amarillo" would make the perfect World Cup song the other day when I first heard the official song. I've certainly no objections and it's one that everybody knows and can chant on the terraces.

The words are a bit iffy, mind. I think they could have come up with a better chorus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HurricaneHerd)
    he is the most individual player i have ever seen !!!! if you don't understand that your football knowledge must be very limited... and is getting very stretched on this thread
    Ronaldinho definately is a team player. Have you not seen his link up play with Etoo and Messi this season?

ReputationRep:
    My team:

Buffon
    Zanetti Terry Cannavaro Zambrotta
    Makelele Emerson
    Figo Riquelme Ronaldinho
    Shevchenko

ReputationRep:
    We're talking about CURRENT world xi yet people still put the likes of Maldini, Cafu, Nedved etc. in it when theyve all had pretty mediocre seasons.

ReputationRep:
    he is the most individual player i have ever seen !!!! if you don't understand that your football knowledge must be very limited... and is getting very stretched on this thread
    Speaking of football knowledge, it doesn't seem you could think of a better left-winger than Duff lol. You could have put Ronaldo on the left and put someone else on the right. Duff isn't even the best left-winger at Chelsea.

and as for the 2 DM's that is a very effective tactic adopted by many continetnal teams whilst playing 3 at the back !
    Ahh the famous 'double pivot'... relies on one of the DMs to actually get beyond the half way line otherwise it's like playing with 5 defenders and 5 strikers :rolleyes: . Arsenal did it effectively in a 4-4-2 with Vieira and Petit. Not many teams (good ones) play 3 at the back with 2 holding, and you don't even have wing-backs.

he's not a team player
    Playing on the flank limits who and where you can pass to, so you need to keep the ball for longer than other players to increase your options. Ron is a team player, and a great one at that.

And Rooney is awesome but him and Henry up front would leave nobody in the box to score.

ReputationRep:
    The world of football has lost a true hero.

ReputationRep:
    Buffon

Cafu l Terry l Puyol l Zambrotta

Makelele

Gerrard l Kaka

Ronaldinho

Rooney l Henry

ReputationRep:
    you talk like your Gcse results suggest you should ! crap just crap !
    You're conveniently missing out the two A's he's predicted at A-Level. Besides, maybe he has learning difficulties of some sort and slogged his guts out to get b's,c's and d's....certainly a more honourable scenario than say someone who scored 4 a's at a-level, scoring say an average of 86/100 in each assessment, but was quite capable of scoring more marks had he applied himself more, put in more effort....each have their own various obtainable standards, due to varying circumstances/reasons/environments/nature/nurture....you're hardly the subjectivist are you.

IQ of 126? What on earth does that mean exactly? A truly representative statistic eh

ReputationRep:
    GK: Cassillas. Thinking of the rest...

ReputationRep:
    Rip.

ReputationRep:
    Puyol is the most REFINED defender in the world, he is so refined. Apart from maybe Nesta, who is bloody refined also.

ReputationRep:
    It's very awkward lyrically. The words could be far, far better.

ReputationRep:
    buffon
    cafu terry nesta cole

rooney gerrard pirlo ronaldinho

henry shevchenko

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jusfarhan)
    Because he plays well for us, and is a match winner?
    I think Garcia links up far better from the midfield to attack, or maybe push him to striker behind Fowler, the clinical finisher of Liverpool. I really think Crouch is there for headers and suchlike, but I really think he is a bit of a Heskey.

Shed.

I don't think you have actually payed attention to his matches, he often makes exceptional passes and link ups!

(Original post by ba_ba1)
    We're talking about CURRENT world xi yet people still put the likes of Maldini, Cafu, Nedved etc. in it when theyve all had pretty mediocre seasons.
    Hmm, I haven't actually seen Nedved this season except second leg vs Arsenal when he got sent off. I really chucked him in because of past seasons, if he is being poor now then maybe Robben instead on the left.

Why is everyone saying C.Ronaldo? He is pretty crap really, he has the tricks but he can't use them to the teams advantage unlike Ronaldinho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    GK: Cassillas. Thinking of the rest...
    Good choice

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.