Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I don't think it's luring him into a false pretence. I never said 'you'll definitely get in, don't worry' or anything like that, I just said it was possible, and if you'd bothered to read my last post properly, you'd have noticed that I said it's extremely rare.
    sorry, my wrong. i misinterpreted it greatly...

Also, it is possible to get Bs at GCSE because you hated and weren't very good at some of the subjects you had to do or because you had crap teachers; it doesn't automatically mean you're not capable of studying one subject you may be very good at when taught by experts.
    yeah it is, very rare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    Does it look bad to oxbridge or any other top unis if you have a few Grade C's at gcse?
    I don't know about Oxford, but at Cambridge, you get a points score based on how many A*s and As you have (1 point for each A* and 0.6 for each A) so your Cs wouldn't even be looked at. I don't think having a few Cs would hurt though considering you got mostly A*s and As.

ReputationRep:
    Does it look bad to oxbridge or any other top unis if you have a few Grade C's at gcse?
    this is a question i don't think we can answer. i'd have to say it won't do you any favours, but i'm not an oxbridge admissions tutor so, my opinion isn't all that relevent.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt think cambridge and oxford even looked at GCSEs. I just thought it was all A levels considering they are the most relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    I didnt think cambridge and oxford even looked at GCSEs. I just thought it was all A levels considering they are the most relevant.
    oxbridge is so competitive, of course they'll need to refer to gcses. :rolleyes:
    if they're getting many applicants with straights A's plus AEA merits etc, the only distinguishing factor could be gcses.

ReputationRep:
    oK thanks. So would my points add up to 6.2.. and a few added on for going to a **** school? :rofl:

I was so pissed off with those C's, it was out of my hands as well because AQA gave us the wrong level of exam for the double award ict and never remarked it accordingly. I even came top of the country in the exam with a grade C! :rolleyes: that's how ***** it was.

ReputationRep:
    oK thanks. So would my points add up to 6.2.. and a few added on for going to a **** school? :rofl:

I was so pissed off with those C's, it was out of my hands as well because AQA gave us the wrong level of exam for the double award ict and never remarked it accordingly. I even came top of the country in the exam with a grade C! :rolleyes: that's how ***** it was.
    laughable. :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Are you laughing with me or at me? Because i'm telling the truth seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    oxbridge is so competitive, of course they'll need to refer to gcses. :rolleyes:
    if they're getting many applicants with straights A's plus AEA merits etc, the only distinguishing factor could be gcses.
    Well i got an offer from oxford(still waiting on results) but at GCSE i didn't get a single A* I even got a D in french, overall i got 5A's 4B's a C and a D so i think if you got the stuff they will see it as it about potential more than anything at oxbridge, I am sure I am not the only one where this is the case

Also i think that despite this GCSE's are important because you dont have to declare your AS results and since this information is not available for everyone it is unfair to use it as a deciding factor so GCSE's become even more important, but when i was in interview they mentioned my D in french at gcse but mainly my predicted A2 results.

ReputationRep:
    Are you laughing with me or at me? Because i'm telling the truth seriously.
    i'm definitely not laughing at you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceberg_1)
    Well i got an offer from oxford(still waiting on results) but at GCSE i didn't get a single A* I even got a D in french, overall i got 5A's 4B's a C and a D so i think if you got the stuff they will see it as it about potential more than anything at oxbridge, I am sure I am not the only one where this is the case
    so, they looked at your gcses? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i'm definitely not laughing at you.

Oh right. It sounds almost unbelivable that the top grade was a C but it's true. Nearly everyone else in my school got F's G's or U's... and it counted for 33.3% of the double award.

ReputationRep:
    so, they looked at your gcses? :rolleyes:
    yes but they are not all important so dont worry about them to much you've done them so focus on your AS's

ReputationRep:
    I know they look at metriculation but didnt think they looked at anything else where GCSEs were concerned

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. It sounds almost unbelivable that the top grade was a C but it's true. Nearly everyone else in my school got F's G's or U's... and it counted for 33.3% of the double award.
    Di you go to a school where the academic was very outspread, from very very academically challenged to very smart or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceberg_1)
    yes but they are not all important so dont worry about them to much you've done them so focus on your AS's
    i'm not worried - i think i'll get good results. hoping for 7 A*s and 3 As (well that's what i think i've got anyhow).

ReputationRep:
    it's believable. i've known someone who was so academically challanged, the school contemplated removing him from exams. he wasn't a "naughty" kid - just very very thick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Cambridge have a points system for GCSEs which allows them to put applicants in rank order, but they rank ASs, aptitude tests, submitted work and interviews as well.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, my school's average GCSE points score is about 30 (46% A*-C), so I should get 2.7 added on, and if it's 20, you get 4 added. You should be able to find the statistics for your school somewhere on the DfES website.

ReputationRep:
    If it helps, my school's average GCSE points score is about 30 (46% A*-C), so I should get 2.7 added on, and if it's 20, you get 4 added. You should be able to find the statistics for your school somewhere on the DfES website.

I looked at my school on there but I couldn't work out what the numbers meant what do they call it??

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.