Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Mine has far too many. I didn't do my GCSEs there though...so I guess that helped my cause to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    I think mine's got something like 98 or 99% with 5 A*s to Cs... guessing I don't get any added marks then lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Bethany*)
    I think mine's got something like 98 or 99% with 5 A*s to Cs... guessing I don't get any added marks then lol
    Woah, your school must be good to have that high percentage of students getting those grades! What kind of school do you go to, comprehensive, grammar, or private?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Mine has far too many. I didn't do my GCSEs there though...so I guess that helped my cause to a certain extent.
    I just worked out the %ages for my year at my old school:

comes out to 12.5% :/

That certainly beats the 99% from my other school:s:

ReputationRep:
    0.0%
    Number of pupils on roll with SEN, but without statements 24
    Percentage of pupils on roll with SEN, but without statements 3.6%

Cohort Information and Results for students aged 15 at start of the school year

Number of students aged 15 70
    Number of 15 year old pupils with SEN with statements 0
    Percentage of 15 year old pupils with SEN with statements 0.0%
    Number of 15 year old pupils with SEN without statements 1
    Percentage of 15 year old pupils with SEN without statements 1.4%
    % in age group obtaining the equivalent of Level 2 (5 or more grades A*-C) 99%
    % in age group obtaining the equivalent of Level 1 (5 or more grades A*-G) 99%
    % in age group with at least an entry level qualification 99%
    Average total point score per 15 year old 497.3

Year 11

Number of pupils in Year 11 72
    % achieving Level 2 (equivalent of 5 or more grades A*-C) 100%

GCSE and equivalent results over time

% of 15 year old pupils achieving 5 or more grades A*-C - 2001 98%
    % of 15 year old pupils achieving 5 or more grades A*-C - 2002 98%
    % of 15 year old pupils achieving 5 or more grades A*-C - 2003 98%
    % of 15 year old pupils achieving 5 or more grades A*-C - 2004 99%
    % of students who achieved at least a GCSE/GNVQ - 2001 98%
    % of students who achieved at least a GCSE/GNVQ - 2002 98%
    % of students who achieved at least a GCSE/GNVQ - 2003 98%
    % of students who achieved at least an entry level qualification - 2004 99%

So how high up is this? Stupid school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Woah, your school must be good to have that high percentage of students getting those grades! What kind of school do you go to, comprehensive, grammar, or private?
    Private all girls' school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Lol yeah, he told us that one too. There goes the myth that all Oxbridge applicants are intelligent! I'll be happy with any kind of an A in French considering the others at my school will probably get Ds at best, but it would be nice to get a reasonable A rather than scraping one. I did think the exams we did were slightly harder than the past papers, so hopefully that will mean even lower grade boundaries this year.

Definitely get your tutor to mention your illness; that's what references are for.

I have a draft copy of my statement written, but I'll need to change it after I've actually done all the reading I've said I'll do and it needs some improvements anyway. I've sent it to a fair few people on :tsr: to have a look at, so hopefully they can point me in the right direction.

Ooooh, holiday sounds good. Where are you going?
    hehe I just wish the people he was talking about were the majority; then it would be nice and easy to get in Like I said I usually set myself silly standards but in French I'd geniunely be happy with 240/300 - although considering how the papers went, that may actually be a ridiculous standard to hope for, lol! Good luck with yours am sure you'll do great.

Yeah I think I will actually, having just found out my school has 98% of people achieving 5 A* to C grades

Scarborough!! Not exactly the most exotic of holidays, but I'm always happy to get away for a week

ReputationRep:
    Private all girls' school
    Alright, no wonder the percentage is so high! How much does your school fees cost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev)
    Alright, no wonder the percentage is so high! How much does your school fees cost?
    Nothing anymore; I go to a local college :p:

For the high school, I'm not actually sure because I had a 70% bursary (plus I just don't know the fees) - but it was GDST place and I think it was a lot cheaper than most private schools - certainly waaaaaay less than the boys' school in Shrewsbury

ReputationRep:
    Nothing anymore; I go to a local college :p:

For the high school, I'm not actually sure because I had a 70% bursary (plus I just don't know the fees) - but it was GDST place and I think it was a lot cheaper than most private schools - certainly waaaaaay less than the boys' school in Shrewsbury
    The GDST school twinned with my school here is certainly a lot cheaper than the "typical" private school. My school is a lot cheaper than Shrewsbury too:p: (I was really close to going there...)

ReputationRep:
    hehe I just wish the people he was talking about were the majority; then it would be nice and easy to get in Like I said I usually set myself silly standards but in French I'd geniunely be happy with 240/300 - although considering how the papers went, that may actually be a ridiculous standard to hope for, lol! Good luck with yours am sure you'll do great.

Yeah I think I will actually, having just found out my school has 98% of people achieving 5 A* to C grades

Scarborough!! Not exactly the most exotic of holidays, but I'm always happy to get away for a week
    Lol yeah does make you wonder what was going through these people's heads when they decided to apply to Cambridge though! I'd be happy with 240 in English, but ideally I'd like at least 250 in French. History, about 260 maybe, and sociology at least 270. Have to wait until August to find out though!

Wow that's pretty damn good! More than twice the 46% for my school lol. There are some schools with 100% though, and I think the grammar schools in my area get about 99%.

Hey, at least it's a holiday!

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah does make you wonder what was going through these people's heads when they decided to apply to Cambridge though! I'd be happy with 240 in English, but ideally I'd like at least 250 in French. History, about 260 maybe, and sociology at least 270. Have to wait until August to find out though!

Wow that's pretty damn good! More than twice the 46% for my school lol. There are some schools with 100% though, and I think the grammar schools in my area get about 99%.

Hey, at least it's a holiday!
    True! Well someone from my college has just decided to apply to Cambridge, Durham and York. She has some As and Bs I think, maybe an A* can't remember (she went to a girls' private school too) is predicted As and Bs at AS - hers are Graphics, Art, Law and Eng Lit - (I'd say probably ABBB or AABB if she worked hard and is luck judging from Jan results and predictions), she wants to study history despite never having studied it before and doesn't really intend to research it very much. Classic example of someone who hasn't really researched the universities, looks okish on paper but at ox or cam would probably mess up the interview. She's quite nice in some ways though if rabidly right wing and racist , so I hope she does ok. Sorry am in my random describing-boring-things-of-very-little-relevance mood

ANYWAY

Fingers crossed, am pretty hopeful of getting 280+ in Eng Lit but I really couldn't say about the others. 5+ weeks to go :rolleyes:

Stupid school! Cuh apparently something like 56% got straight As and A*s. Losers hehe

True! God it's so hot today :bawling: How I do hate the heat

ReputationRep:
    True! Well someone from my college has just decided to apply to Cambridge, Durham and York. She has some As and Bs I think, maybe an A* can't remember (she went to a girls' private school too) is predicted As and Bs at AS - hers are Graphics, Art, Law and Eng Lit - (I'd say probably ABBB or AABB if she worked hard and is luck judging from Jan results and predictions), she wants to study history despite never having studied it before and doesn't really intend to research it very much. Classic example of someone who hasn't really researched the universities, looks okish on paper but at ox or cam would probably mess up the interview. She's quite nice in some ways though if rabidly right wing and racist , so I hope she does ok. Sorry am in my random describing-boring-things-of-very-little-relevance mood

ANYWAY

Fingers crossed, am pretty hopeful of getting 280+ in Eng Lit but I really couldn't say about the others. 5+ weeks to go :rolleyes:

Stupid school! Cuh apparently something like 56% got straight As and A*s. Losers hehe

True! God it's so hot today :bawling: How I do hate the heat
    Her GCSE score won't be very good with 1 A* and some As from a private school! :eek: It wouldn't even be worth applying with AABB/ABBB since almost all offers are now AAA, and her subjects probably won't do her any favours either considering only 2 are academic, and the 2 practical ones are very similar. Another thing Richard said was that apart from academic ability and potential, the other main thing they look for is passion for your subject and things you've done to prove it, ie wider reading, so if she's not that interested in history and hasn't really thought about, that will come across in her interview.

Lol someone else who doesn't like the heat! I hate it too and everyone thinks I'm mad.

Her GCSE score won't be very good with 1 A* and some As from a private school!
    Hearing all this positive discrimination stuff from Cambridge, I'm now almost even tempted to apply there... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Her GCSE score won't be very good with 1 A* and some As from a private school! :eek: It wouldn't even be worth applying with AABB/ABBB since almost all offers are now AAA, and her subjects probably won't do her any favours either considering only 2 are academic, and the 2 practical ones are very similar. Another thing Richard said was that apart from academic ability and potential, the other main thing they look for is passion for your subject and things you've done to prove it, ie wider reading, so if she's not that interested in history and hasn't really thought about, that will come across in her interview.

Lol someone else who doesn't like the heat! I hate it too and everyone thinks I'm mad.
    Exactly. Oh well, it gives me hope that maybe some of the competition is out of the running before they begin :rolleyes: even if it is an absolute minority, lol!

Any ideas, out of interest, why, if Oxford is internationally renowned as the "arts" university and Cambridge as the "sciences", there's a significantly tougher ratio of applicants per place in English at Cambridge than Oxford?? Or do Oxford just have more places :confused: just a random thought sorry

I know, everyone thinks it's completely insane and goes on about how fantastic summer is....... I'm like, hm let me see: hayfever, heat rash, gnatty things that like to bite me, more sweating, intense prickly feeling of heat & headaches making me irritable and incapable of concentrating...

ReputationRep:
    I know, everyone thinks it's completely insane and goes on about how fantastic summer is....... I'm like, hm let me see: hayfever, heat rash, gnatty things that like to bite me, more sweating, intense prickly feeling of heat & headaches making me irritable and incapable of concentrating...

I hate the summer.... !

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. Oh well, it gives me hope that maybe some of the competition is out of the running before they begin :rolleyes: even if it is an absolute minority, lol!

Any ideas, out of interest, why, if Oxford is internationally renowned as the "arts" university and Cambridge as the "sciences", there's a significantly tougher ratio of applicants per place in English at Cambridge than Oxford?? Or do Oxford just have more places :confused: just a random thought sorry

They might have more places, or maybe the Cambridge course is just better? I know the modern languages course at Cambridge is better for me than the one at Oxford because it has variety, it's not just literature. And of course the obvious reason that Oxford don't offer Spanish ab-initio.

I don't get hayfever, heat rashes, prickly heat or headaches, I just don't like the sweating and the insects. I'm really scared of bees/wasps/hornets

ReputationRep:
    They might have more places, or maybe the Cambridge course is just better? I know the modern languages course at Cambridge is better for me than the one at Oxford because it has variety, it's not just literature. And of course the obvious reason that Oxford don't offer Spanish ab-initio.

I don't get hayfever, heat rashes, prickly heat or headaches, I just don't like the sweating and the insects. I'm really scared of bees/wasps/hornets
    Could be - I certainly think that the Cambridge course is infinitely superior to the one at Oxford. I like their idea of keeping sciency options open too, although that one wouldn't apply to me!

Ah fair enough! Yep I find my deodorant is very efficient at keeping me smell-free (hehe!) but I just hate the feel of sweating, eurgh!!

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, that is low! :eek: For my school it's 46% and I worked out that I should get 2.7 points added, so for yours it will probably be 4 points. That would give you a total score of 10.2, better than someone with 10 A*s from a top school
    YES! My school fkn rocks!! :rock:

I never thought the day would come when i'd be saying that...

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask, is it just Oxbridge that uses this gcse points system or do others follow a similar system?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.