Turn on thread page Beta

Does your school/college/university have a student paper? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hallo all.

I'm a mature student at Ruskin College in Oxford (see http://www.ruskin.ac.uk to save me having to explain) and hope to go off to uni next year to read law.

Out of boredom I decided that what the College needed was a student paper of some kind, so I got together a gang of people and formed the Student Publication Society. The aim is to produce a publication (rather than something which is a newspaper, magazine or any other name which can lead to false hopes over what is really just a bunch of photocopied stapled bits of paper!) at least three times a term. It would contain only what other people could be bothered to write - Ruskin College is VERY left wing and full of political activists who love to talk but, sadly, seem to be capable of sod all. My method means that anyone who says "But Alexander, why don't you have more current affairs stuff?" can be told to go bloody well write it and it will go in the next issue. Mwahahaha.

Have a look for yourself - http://www.apathy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/December2003.pdf It's about 5.5mb.

Any comments would be welcome, mostly over layout and stuff. Also anyone who is involved in a similar project at their own place would be most welcome to show me some of their stuff, assuming it is available online. It has a fairly wide range of content, which is just because that is what people wrote for the first issue.

Thanks in advance!

a.

ReputationRep:
    Salford has Student Direct, the biggest student newspaper in europe. There is the Manchester, Salford and Bolton editions.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham has Redbrick.

ReputationRep:
    It's really good, nice job!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    There is a similar (opinion/submissions only) newsletter here at Southampton (although it's almost entirely populated through staff contributions)
    http://www.viewpoint.soton.ac.uk/Viewpoint/433/ (the hardcopy layout is very similar to yours (without the pictures))

The one thing to watch out for is to make sure the mix of contributers doesn't become too narrow...then the only people interested in reading it will be the writers themselves.

Also have you thought about having some guest slots for people from outside the college/students - someone from the local community, the head of the college (our new VC had his CV and inaugral lecture published in Viewpoint and it was an interesting read) etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about writing to John Prescott and asking whether he would like to write something, since he went to the College. The way some people go on you'd think he was still there...

The variety of contributors is a good point - I am actively trying to encourage more people to submit articles, especially the external students who are doing women's studies and suchlike. They are a bit like rare flowers in College.

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Birmingham has Redbrick.
    Pretty much every university in the country has one newspaper or magazine - http://vision.york.ac.uk/othermedia/ - Oxford and Cambridge both have 2 papers produced weekly.

ReputationRep:
    I often read your articles in the Oxford Student. So there you go.

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    I often read your articles in the Oxford Student. So there you go.

a.
    Cool, just flicked through yours, good effort. A fair few activists you had going to the anti-Bush march it seems!

ReputationRep:
    Ruskin is so funny sometimes...we don't have a standard College banner - we've had the same anti-Bush one for years now so can only go to demonstrations that involve him in some way.

Whichever uni I end up at next year, I hope to be involved in the student newspaper. Would be good to have some proper resources behind me rather than a photocopier and my PowerBook.

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    Whichever uni I end up at next year, I hope to be involved in the student newspaper. Would be good to have some proper resources behind me rather than a photocopier and my PowerBook.

a.
    Heh, you'll be surprised. Cherwell survive on 2 computers for the entire publication. We use a bunch of iMacs which keep crashing. Very easy to get involved and work your way up the ladder though, at the start of term I'd never written a news article.

ReputationRep:
    Southampton uni has a student paper called the wessex scene

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    Southampton uni has a student paper called the wessex scene
    and exeter has the rather excellent expose (you know, pronounced exposa)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    and exeter has the rather excellent expose (you know, pronounced exposa)
    I did know that! My ex girlfriends sister went to Exeter and wrote for the student paper

ReputationRep:
    We have 'concourse' produced fortnightly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommypip)
    I did know that! My ex girlfriends sister went to Exeter and wrote for the student paper
    its very good

ReputationRep:
    Warwick has the Boar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    Warwick has the Boar.
    We get it at the publications office. Should be spelt 'Bore'

ReputationRep:
    I agree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by picju96)
    I agree!
    Sorry to sound like a tit but I'm appalled at student journalism across the country. You have frontpage headlines such as "New SU Welfare Campaign", and NUS protest stories written by NUS sabbatical officers, thus hardly being balanced.

Outside this uni I've come across 2 others on par - Varsity and TCS, both Cambridge. We have literally 3 times as much work as the rest and still manage to do quality journalism! And without the editors being given sabbatical periods, i.e. no academic work whilst editor, as is evident at places like Lancaster.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.