The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went to the Warwick Open Day and I was very impressed.

Warwick's reputation as a University helps propel Graduates into good jobs, I'd certainly rank it amongst the best.

Entry requirements of AAA are also steep, but indicative of high-achieving applicants and students.

I only turned Warwick down for the social life - and the vibrancy of London.

Dreama x
Reply 2
I have one thing to say about Warwick's law department.... Random!

Their selection process last year was totally random in my opinion, but it's a great University.... slightly isolated in my opinion, although I haven't been, so my opinion isn't exactly definitive!
Reply 3
domjohn

Their selection process last year was totally random in my opinion, but it's a great University....

What makes you say that? :smile:
Reply 4
I know there was a discussion about this before, and other people backed me up on it.

Not taking anything away from the people who got offers from them, as they are obviously excellent candidates, but their selection seems somewhat floored in my opinion. A friend of mine had 5 offers, including Oxford, UCL, Durham and Nottingham, with a Warwick rejection. This is just one example of several people that got offers from top top places, but Warwick rejections. Obviously the way admissions take place there are bound to be excellent candidates getting rejected, but Warwick's law dept. seemed random more so than others.....

Just an opinion.
Reply 5
domjohn
I know there was a discussion about this before, and other people backed me up on it.

Not taking anything away from the people who got offers from them, as they are obviously excellent candidates, but their selection seems somewhat floored in my opinion. A friend of mine had 5 offers, including Oxford, UCL, Durham and Nottingham, with a Warwick rejection. This is just one example of several people that got offers from top top places, but Warwick rejections. Obviously the way admissions take place there are bound to be excellent candidates getting rejected, but Warwick's law dept. seemed random more so than others.....

Just an opinion.

Warwick, and no doubt other universities tend to favour candidates who want to go to their university rather than those who apply to make up their six choices.

Warwick also teaches law in the context of social and economic issues.

An application from an outstanding student who doesn't appear to want to go to Warwick or isn't interested in the school's law in context approach could well be rejected notwithstanding they have been accepted by the likes of Oxford UCL etc
Reply 6
zeek
Warwick, and no doubt other universities tend to favour candidates who want to go to their university rather than those who apply to make up their six choices.

Warwick also teaches law in the context of social and economic issues.

An application from an outstanding student who doesn't appear to want to go to Warwick or isn't interested in the school's law in context approach could well be rejected notwithstanding they have been accepted by the likes of Oxford UCL etc

How can they tell if you want to go to Warwick or not? Warwick was the place I most wanted to go (after Oxford of course) and they still rejected me! I know people with lower grades than myself who managed to get in so im sure my grades weren't the problem. I also wrote about the fact that I was interested in law in its social context in my personal statement, so I don't think that was the issue either! So I'm going to agree, that the admissions process this year does seem a bit random.... But oviously being a top university they only considered those with high enough grades so in that respect it wasn't so random. I guess it's the same for most unis who are swamped with thousands of law applications though, is hard to decide who to give offers to!
Reply 7
Eki_86
How can they tell if you want to go to Warwick or not? Warwick was the place I most wanted to go (after Oxford of course) and they still rejected me! I know people with lower grades than myself who managed to get in so im sure my grades weren't the problem. I also wrote about the fact that I was interested in law in its social context in my personal statement, so I don't think that was the issue either! So I'm going to agree, that the admissions process this year does seem a bit random.... But oviously being a top university they only considered those with high enough grades so in that respect it wasn't so random. I guess it's the same for most unis who are swamped with thousands of law applications though, is hard to decide who to give offers to!

hi!
yes it does seem a bit strange in your case. Did you phone them and asked them why?- May seem like a weird question but I read here on the studentroom about this girl who was rejected from oxford and she could not figure out why, so she called them and they said that her personal statement was a bit vague in some bit and they actually gave her the chance to specify what they were unhappy about. And she got in.
But as you are going to UCL I take it you are content with your choice- for me it was down to UCL or Warwick. I´ll guess I will find out if that was a good choice. Good luck at UCL!
Reply 8
Warwick's law does indeed have a diverse opinion.

On the one hand, general reputation amongst students and the rankings seem to indicate that Warwick's law is one of the best. However, on the other, the reputation amongst the legal profession is less than that of the mainstream universities.

One thing to bear in mind about Warwick, and especially for those who like to pride themselves in being a law student, is that Warwick does not have a proper law faculty unlike many universities. The law department is simply a floor (or two) on the social sciences building. Hardly impressive. What's more, I've been to the law library there and I wouldn't call it well-stocked to say the least.

One thing that may be of appeal to applicants is that Warwick tends to give out 2:1's and firsts far more easily than other universities - this goes to many subjects, and law is no different. I know a number of people at Warwick doing law who say that after a typical assessment (essays), 2:1's are the norm (rather than 2:2's at other unis). If grade inflation were an issue these days (which in my opinion, does not happen much with unis), it would seem that Warwick would be the chief perpetrator.
Reply 9
supervin
Warwick's law does indeed have a diverse opinion.

On the one hand, general reputation amongst students and the rankings seem to indicate that Warwick's law is one of the best. However, on the other, the reputation amongst the legal profession is less than that of the mainstream universities.

One thing that may be of appeal to applicants is that Warwick tends to give out 2:1's and firsts far more easily than other universities - this goes to many subjects, and law is no different....If grade inflation were an issue these days (which in my opinion, does not happen much with unis), it would seem that Warwick would be the chief perpetrator.

Not too sure how you define mainstream but I would have thought it would include Warwick. If you mean Redbrick then Warwick's reputation with employers is similar to most of them.(Have a look at Chambers website which publishes research on this.)

Warwick awards, at most, around 4% of its students with firsts which is unremarkable when compared with the top twenty law schools in the league tables.

As far as law is concerned I don't think grade inflation is any more of an issue at Warwick than any of the other popular universities. There certainly is no evidence to substantiate the claim that it is the 'chief perpetrator'.
Reply 10
I did my Law degree at Warwick. Teaching is normally very good and the "law in context" approach is actually used (as opposed to just talked about!) and gives you a good grounding. It has an active student law society and a good range of choices in the second and third year. On a general level the only thig I would say that can let it down is the library. It also has good links with city commercial law firms and the bar and the vast majority of students in my year went into practice. For those wishing to follow postgraduate study its a good option too - I was fortunate enough to get into Cambridge for a Masters after my LLB. I hope this is of some use, and if you want anything other information, just pm me. Either way, good luck with the applications and results!
carolinedrew

But as you are going to UCL I take it you are content with your choice- for me it was down to UCL or Warwick. I´ll guess I will find out if that was a good choice. Good luck at UCL!

:stupid: *shakes head in disappointment*
Reply 12
Phonicsdude
:stupid: *shakes head in disappointment*

:eek:
phonicsdude.... what is it now?
You chose Warwick...over..U...C...L...?! :eek:
Edit: :rofl:
Reply 14
Phonicsdude

yes that is C...O...R...R...E...C...T :frown:

Haven´t we already been through this once before?
Reply 15
Did u take advice over this??? Warwick over UCL.......r.....u....mad...!!!!!!
Reply 16
fire
Did u take advice over this??? Warwick over UCL.......r.....u....mad...!!!!!!

To be honest, there was a time when I was worried that I had made a mistake but at the end of the day there are many many factors to be included when you choose a University and I chose Warwick for various reasons: for example that IT IS a very good uni. Of course there will always be people whp thinks UCL is better than Warwick for various reasons and vice versa so thats just the way it is. And yes, UCL does have a slightly better law department than Warwick but that does not make Warwick a lesser uni than UCL.
Its not really the end of the world, it was just a decision.

Good luck at UCL!
I mooted against some blokes from Warwick, they were class. The buggers won by four points aswell.
Reply 18
who did u moot against?:smile:
Reply 19
Phonicsdude

Ah well. At least it wasn't Greenwich over LSE (although I somehow doubt the integrity of that post). :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending