Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not sure where to put this thread but general chat seems as good as any...
    Anyway, my folks and 14 year old sister are planning on moving from London to Bath (or somewhere in the surrounding area - Chippenham/Marlborough/Cirencester)...can someone who lives in or near the area give me an idea of the nicer places to live ....

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I know these areas, as I live in the same county as those surrounding areas (Chippenham and Marlborough). By the way, I live a bit far away from those places, but I know how the places are like, as I go a school near there. The surrounding area of Chippenham and Marlborough is a country side or a small town environment. Most stuff can be accessible on the high street. There are good schools around chippenham and marlborough (state and private), should be good for your sister. Since you sister will be schooling in one of those areas, I got a site for you to look at about schools in the surrouding area. The only private school I know is called Marlborough College. http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/ind...65&type=post16
    http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/reports/ind...type=secondary

ReputationRep:
    I live near Bath. Nice area. Bath is great for shopping. Bruton is a small town about an hour away from Bath. Nobodies ever heard of it but there are quite a few schools. There is Bruton primary (normal primary school) The meadow school (Steiner Waldorf Education) Kings School Bruton Public School co-ed (v. expensive) Bruton School for girls (all girls school v. selective and also v.expensive) Sexeys school Bruton (the best of the lot co-ed state school with boarding) Ansford And King Arthurs (your basic bog-standard comprehensives)

ReputationRep:
    I'm a resident. The better places in Bath would be the upper part of town, eg Lansdown, Bathwick, The Circus, Great Pulteney Street etc... or you could live just outside Bath in Bathampton, etc.

If you're thinking of going private, the two best independent schools locally are Royal High School for girls and King Edwards for boys... Kingswood & Monkton Combe are ok also. There are quite a few comprehensive schoolsl, with the best single sex boys school being Beechen Cliff imo. Ralph Allen are ok, whilst for girls schools, I know that Oldfield have sports college status if your sister is sporty. Meanwhile, St Gregorys RC school offers up to GCSE and has pretty good results!

ReputationRep:
    The other thing is, you will also find Bath a lot more quiet during the evenings compared to London. Nights out in other places are virtually impossible unless you drive, as the buses don't run 24 hours.
    There are two main theatres in Bath, the Theatre Royal and the Rondo. Cinema wise, we have an Odeon multiplex and the Little theatre, which generally shows arthouse films from around the world.

ReputationRep:
    just a warning.. don't move to Swindon.. :p:

i havent spent much time in Bath but it seemed nice and i have a friend who's moving there soon-ish.. he's also gonna start working at Odeon! they offered him the supervisor position

ReputationRep:
    i live in marlborough and i can tell you that it's very boring. despite this it's the perfect place to grow up, the transport to swindon isn't bad and there is a very low crime rate etc. it's just a *nice* place. the comprehensive is St. John's which is a nice school that has ranked highly.

chippenham on the otherhand isn't quite so nice, there are many chavs (to put it bluntly) and it's just not a very nice place. school-wise i don't know much but i have played hockey against schools there. it wasn't a very nice experience, i was acutally called a "paki" (i am white, i just have slightly darker skin than most) and other members of our hockey team were shouted at.

bath is a very nice place if you want something bigger, lots of shops and although im not sure about the school situation, i'm pretty sure there are some good ones around.

hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the replies! If anyone can give me any further insight on the best places to live within Bath I would really appreciate it. It's really hard looking for houses without knowing the area at all! Thanks for the heads up on Chippenham - definitely cross that one off the list if it's full of chavs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovemonkeys)
    Thanks everyone for the replies! If anyone can give me any further insight on the best places to live within Bath I would really appreciate it. It's really hard looking for houses without knowing the area at all! Thanks for the heads up on Chippenham - definitely cross that one off the list if it's full of chavs!
    As i mentioned in my post earlier, the better places to live (and more expensive) would be in Lansdown, Bathwick, Royal Crescent, Circus, Great Pulteney Street areas. Most of the places towards north - north east. Oldfield Park, Bloomfield, Beechen Cliff (Poets corner) or Widcombe are also hotspots for families to live in, as they are quite close to schools (Oldfield Park and Beechen Cliff in particular). It's worth noting that Bath is incredibly hilly, so if you live more than 15 mins walk from the city centre, you'll probably be on some sort of an incline! Which is a pain if you're walking/cycling back.

Twerton, Snow Hill, South Down and Weston (to an extent) have a bit of a poor reputation with trevs (Bathspeak for chavs), although I do know some very nice people who live in those areas!

pm me if you need more info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    As i mentioned in my post earlier, the better places to live (and more expensive) would be in Lansdown, Bathwick, Royal Crescent, Circus, Great Pulteney Street areas. Most of the places towards north - north east. Oldfield Park, Bloomfield, Beechen Cliff (Poets corner) or Widcombe are also hotspots for families to live in, as they are quite close to schools (Oldfield Park and Beechen Cliff in particular). It's worth noting that Bath is incredibly hilly, so if you live more than 15 mins walk from the city centre, you'll probably be on some sort of an incline! Which is a pain if you're walking/cycling back.

Twerton, Snow Hill, South Down and Weston (to an extent) have a bit of a poor reputation with trevs (Bathspeak for chavs), although I do know some very nice people who live in those areas!

pm me if you need more info.
    Excellent - you've been really helpful - thanks

ReputationRep:
    Excellent - you've been really helpful - thanks
    No worries... how come your family have chosen Bath/south west to come to then? and will you/sister be schooling in Bath as well?

ReputationRep:
    Lyneham is a good place to live in and it's a few minutes away from Chippenham. I don't think there's a lot of chavs there. There are some good schools that cover Chippenham and Lyneham area.

ReputationRep:
    My friend lives on Upper Bristol Road. Often when I go down and visit him we take advantage of good cheap curry in Pria Curry House, which is near the river. Highly recommended.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4Ed)
    No worries... how come your family have chosen Bath/south west to come to then? and will you/sister be schooling in Bath as well?
    Well, my dad's job has relocated to Swindon and he's finding the commute really tough. He doesn't want to move the family to Swindon as he doesn't like the local area, and likes Bath as it's a fairly vibrant city without being too far away from his office. He was thinking of moving to Cirencester but it seems very quiet and wants my younger sister to be somewhere with lots to do.
    Yep, my sister will be schooling in Bath...she'll be going into Year 10 and starting her GCSE's...she ideally wants to go to a mixed comp with a sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, my sister will be schooling in Bath...she'll be going into Year 10 and starting her GCSE's...she ideally wants to go to a mixed comp with a sixth form.
    Best bet would be Ralph Allen... the rest are single sex until 6th form (or all the way through) or not too good, especially in central Bath.

PM me if you want more info on Bath... it's small, and you'll find yourself living in the Bath Bubble before long (i.e. everyone knows everyone else, and their business, and you'll always bump into people you know when you're out, which can be cool or mean that there's no escape).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SB)
    Best bet would be Ralph Allen... the rest are single sex until 6th form (or all the way through) or not too good, especially in central Bath.

PM me if you want more info on Bath... it's small, and you'll find yourself living in the Bath Bubble before long (i.e. everyone knows everyone else, and their business, and you'll always bump into people you know when you're out, which can be cool or mean that there's no escape).
    True... St Gregs are the top mixed comp for results, but they only offer schooling up to GCSE, people then either go to 6th form college or join another school for A-levels.

LoL you're completely right about the 'Bath Bubble' - first time I've heard the phrase! Every time I go out I bump into someone I know, and esp in the evenings, everyone always tends to hang out at the same pubs - 'Spoons, Pig n Fiddle etc, and all go to Moles on a Tuesday night!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.