Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I find Im ok at talking to people, but when Im out, I worry about myself and how my body will react if Im in a situation I havent been in before.

For example, I dont eat or drink anything before I go out, just in case it makes me sick and I am sick in front of other people, obviously making me look stupid. Another example is Im scared Im going to need the toilet and I cant get there in time, again making me look stupid. Of course, nothing like this has ever happened to me, but I am petrified it will. I panic when I am in the situation in case I cant 'escape' to safety. I dont know how this started and why I feel like this, I just do! Hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    I find Im ok at talking to people, but when Im out, I worry about myself and how my body will react if Im in a situation I havent been in before.

For example, I dont eat or drink anything before I go out, just in case it makes me sick and I am sick in front of other people, obviously making me look stupid. Another example is Im scared Im going to need the toilet and I cant get there in time, again making me look stupid. Of course, nothing like this has ever happened to me, but I am petrified it will. I panic when I am in the situation in case I cant 'escape' to safety. I dont know how this started and why I feel like this, I just do! Hope that makes sense!
    Sounds like extreme paranoia, perhaps you should see a GP or a psychologist?

ReputationRep:
    a phobia of someone not loving me as much as i love them!! maybe not a phobia but weirdly a very real fear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    I dont want to go into too much detail here because I dont have the confidence, but basically I worry about going out to new places (ie shops, concerts, clubbing, work, if I have to go to meetings, etc) in case I make an idiot of myself.

Im not scared of other people, more of myself and how my body will react if Im in a new situation. Sounds weird I know.

i have the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    Just wondering if anyone on here had ever suffered with, or does suffer with, a phobia or anxiety?

Has anyone here successfully managed to treat a phobia, anxiety,or are there people going through treatment?
    I have generalised anxiety disorder and I'm on medication for it which helps a bit - cognitive behavioural therapy is really good, and also relaxation therapy is good because if it works for you it can reduce the amount of anxiety you're feeling in general and also if you're feeling particularly panicky. PM if you want a chat about it or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)

That really sucks Yes, I think you should see a psychotherapist. Are you under any medication for this social phobia?

I'm not too sure I'd say I have social phobia as I've been in so many scary social situations: the worst interviews ever (in investment banking), got used to making presentations in front of people and usually appear fine and calm. The trouble is, I seem so unphased and relaxed when I'm not that I can make myself ill and feverish...

How old are you? At a younger age, I used to be relatively quiet and not the most confident kid then by the time of uni, I became more out-going and built a lot of confidence. Unfortunately, the change might have been too abrupt for me.

ReputationRep:
    i suffer with claustrophobia, i can't go in lifts in case they break down, i always have the fear of not being able to escape. it's really bad wen it comes to being in really small rooms/places i feel vulnerable. love heights though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)

Hmm. Maybe you should just sit down and rationally think things through. When was the last time you couldn't make it to a toilet? Probably at the age of 3? Your body is totally capable of waiting for a long time! And if you feel sick, you can normally wait long enough to rush to the toilet. Maybe you should try having a glass of wine before you go out. It'll help you feel less self-conscious.

ReputationRep:
    i suffer from claustrophobia...i refuse to go in lifts because i'm petrified of not being able to get out and my "friends" forced me to go in one once. i also relate to you .Em. a lot, i have the same kind of social paranoia as you, its horrible, always paranoid about looking stupid, or anything really....i won't walk home on my own because i get paranoid that someone is following me for example, all sorts of things really. :-(

ReputationRep:
    I suffered/suffer from panic attacks. I find they come on more when I'm stressed like over exam time. I haven't seen anyone about it, I have kind of been helping myself. If you can try and work out what it is that is making you anxious, or why you have a certain phobia you can start working towards overcoming it.

If you feel unable to do this on your own, you should seek professional help. Please don't take this the wrong way, I know that counselling is sometimes quite a taboo subject, but as far as I can see, if you had a problem with your leg that was getting you down, you'd go to the doctors, if you have a problem with the way you are thinking that is getting you down you go to a counseller. They are specially trained to help you and if it makes you feel better it is well worth going. If you don't do anything the problem might get worse, so the sooner you tackle it, the easier it will be.

I hope you are feeling better soon hunny :hugs: and to all the people who have overcome a phobia, or are on their way to overcoming it, or simply have one and are unsure what to do, I wish you all the best. :hugs: all round! I know this can be difficult but you will eventually get through and come out the other end, a stronger person.

If you ever need a chat just pm me anytime!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)

I don't think it sounds like extreme paranoia as someone else said! Maybe more like a mild social phobia? Although obviously no one on here can disagnose you, perhaps go and see your GP if you find it's affecting you're life to an extent you're uncomfortable with. Some people live quite happily with phobias for all of their lives! I used to be terrified of people touching my neck, weird I know, until my boyfriend constantly poked me there until I got over it. Flooding in action!

ReputationRep:
    Cognitive behavioural therapy as someone else mentioned is very successful at helping people overcome phobias, i would go and see your gp and find out how you can get in touch with a therapist. They'll help you to change the irrational thoughts and fears you have, and set you tasks to gradually help build up your confidence in different situations. The earlier you tackle this the better, social phobias can become really crippling if you keep having to avoid new situations, you want to enjoy your student days! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    i can relate to phobias, i get really obsessive thoughts about a certain thing and can't stop thinking them for hours on end however hard i try, i also think i have hypochondria as i'm often think i'm suffering from some kind of serious disease, which is distressing. i'm told i have an overactive imagination

ReputationRep:
    Obsessive Compulsive disorder is the worst thing i have ever faced, my cousin has this problem, and yeah... keeps thinking about checking if she left something behind, are the keys kept safe, etc etc... very hard to cope living with people such as them.. although her psychiatrist is slowly transforming her.. i hope it will be successful

ReputationRep:
    anablephobia - Fear of looking up

Seriously, i have to stare at the floor on tall rollercoasters!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Em.)
    For example, I dont eat or drink anything before I go out, just in case it makes me sick and I am sick in front of other people, obviously making me look stupid.
    I was out with a group of mates once, including a guy I got on with but barely knew. For some reason, I started feeling unbelievably ill and had to go to the toilets as I thought I'd throw up. Thankfully I didn't, and no-one minded - least of all the guy I didn't know, who was totally sweet about it and offered to drive me home even though he was about to start eating :blushing: Bless him.
    I know you can't cure it straight away or anything, but just thought maybe my story would be an example of how it doesn't have to be really bad. Meh, now I've confused myself :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I get ridiculously nervous about meeting new people and social situations particularly where i'm there without anyone i know. used to get into a real state before school dances and stuff.

sometimes im fine tho, its odd. if im concentrating and just get myself to get on with it then sometimes i can avoid it.

a drink always helps a lot. but even without one, once i've got past the initial introduction thing then im fine and quite confident really, its kind of odd.

ReputationRep:
    probably not as bad as your thing (maybe) i used to throw up before rowing races. it just happened one time i dont know why, and then i think the fear of it happening again would make me nervous and then i would be sick because of that. was really annoyign and embarassing, which just perpetuated it.

i would only do it once on a day of racing, so i guess it was all psychological, that once i had done it that was it for the day. i even managed to stop doing it sometimes, but then it would jsut happen again without warning.

i didnt mind the vomiting particularly it was jsut that it was embarassing doing it on the water in front of the team ur about to race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gexko)
    once i've got past the initial introduction thing then im fine and quite confident really, its kind of odd.

Same - for the first half an hour or so with new people I stay quiet. Once I'm used to them I get confident until I end up as my freakish self, and then they think I'm odd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeCool_Lemming)
    Same - for the first half an hour or so with new people I stay quiet. Once I'm used to them I get confident until I end up as my freakish self, and then they think I'm odd
    indeed. exactly the same as me. although i usually only come across as really wierd when im either very drunk or only slightly so and drunk on nerves from meeting new people.

i think i'm odd so other people probably do, although i ahve the sneaking suspicion that some people dont think im odd, which worries me. wooo, im a nervous reck.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.