Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any Jehovah's Witnesses on here who could tell me what their beliefs are on injections, for example the injection of insulin as part of the treatment of diabetes? Thanks x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Are there any Jehovah's Witnesses on here who could tell me what their beliefs are on injections, for example the injection of insulin as part of the treatment of diabetes? Thanks x x
    Im not one but i know quite a bit about them. They have on problem with treating illnesses, its just blood transfusions i think. Because they see it as altering with a person spirit, and they think that this person will never be the same again because they have someone elses blood.

Although some will make exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Im not one but i know quite a bit about them. They have on problem with treating illnesses, its just blood transfusions i think. Because they see it as altering with a person spirit, and they think that this person will never be the same again because they have someone elses blood.

Although some will make exceptions.
    Would it be a problem if it was animal insulin? I'm clutching at straws here, I need an ethical dilemma to do with the treatment or diagnosis of diabetes or anaemia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Would it be a problem if it was animal insulin? I'm clutching at straws here, I need an ethical dilemma to do with the treatment or diagnosis of diabetes or anaemia
    Dont think it would be a problem because its treating a illness, its not pumping new blood into your body so yeah. The only thing i think they think ethically wrong is blood transfusions, everything else is right. Obviously there is abortions and euthanasia etc, but i should think animal insulin is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus)
    Dont think it would be a problem because its treating a illness, its not pumping new blood into your body so yeah. The only thing i think they think ethically wrong is blood transfusions, everything else is right. Obviously there is abortions and euthanasia etc, but i should think animal insulin is fine.
    Damnit, there goes my ethical isue

ReputationRep:
    Does it have to be Jehovah's Witnesses, or any religious beliefs which are incompatible with medical treatment?

The following may help you..
    Source

In Boston, two-year-old Robyn Twitchell died of peritonitis and a twisted bowel after a five-day illness that began with his screaming and vomiting. His parents, members of Christian Science, refused to get medical treatment for their son. http://www.childrenshealthcare.org

Two-year-old Justin Barnhart, whose parents were members of the Faith Tabernacle Church, died of Wilm's tumor because the parents depended on prayer and rejected medical help. Medical intervention is successful in 90% of these cases. (Cult Observer, May/June 1988, p. 6. From "U.S. Supreme Court Will Be Asked to Review Faith-death Conviction," CHILD Newsletter, Spring, 1988, p. 4). http://www.csj.org

Natili Joy Mudd, a four-year-old from Indiana whose parents were members of the Faith Assembly Church, died from an eye tumor the size of her head. Police discovered blood trails on the walls where the nearly blind girl attempted to go from room to room. The Mudd's other 5-year-old daughter died after a court ordered operation to remove a basketball-sized tumor in her stomach (Mark Latrabee "The Battle Over Faith Healing" The Organian, Nov.28 1998).

In Oregon City, four-year-old Alex Dale Morris received prayers for 46 days before he died. His parents, members of the Followers of Christ church denied the boy medical attention. His autopsy revealed that massive infection in his chest had filled one entire side of his chest with pus. Antibiotics could have saved him. (Van Biema, David " Faith Or Healing" Time Magazine August 31, 1998 Vol.152 No. 9)

In Florida, Amy Hermanson, aged 7 died of diabetes. Her parents are members of the Christian Scientist Faith, and claimed their religious beliefs kept them from taking her for medical attention. "The Unacceptable Cost Of Religious Superstition" 26 Feb. 2001.http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/W...ild-abuse.html

Bo Phillips, 11, died Feb. 23 of diabetes after suffering painful symptoms for a week. His death could have been prevented with medical care. His eyes were sunken and his face was yellow. His parents were members of the Followers of Christ Church. When his father was asked why he let the boy die, the father said it was his choice (Van Biema, David "Faith Or Healing" Time Aug. 311998 vol. 152 No9).

In Alberta, Calahan Shippy, age 14, died of diabetes as a result of his parents refusal to get medical help. His father stated he has the right to not seek medical help for his eight children. The father is a member of the Followers of Christ sect. A pathologist said the boy might have lived if he had received medical help a few hours before he died (" Alberta Couple Gets Suspended Sentence In Diabetes Death" Ottawa Citizen, June 26, 2000).

Sixteen-year-old Shannon Nixon died of treatable diabetes complications. Five years before, her younger brother Clayton died of an inner-ear infection. Their parents, Lori and Dennis Nixon, were members of the Faith tabernacle Church and refused to let their children have medical attention (Blair, Jeffroy "Faith-Healing Convictions Upheld" Deloit Daily News Apr. 30, 1997).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Damnit, there goes my ethical isue
    I could still be wrong, but im pretty sure its only blood transfusions they are against.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Does it have to be Jehovah's Witnesses, or any religious beliefs which are incompatible with medical treatment?

Sixteen-year-old Shannon Nixon died of treatable diabetes complications. Five years before, her younger brother Clayton died of an inner-ear infection. Their parents, Lori and Dennis Nixon, were members of the Faith tabernacle Church and refused to let their children have medical attention (Blair, Jeffroy "Faith-Healing Convictions Upheld" Deloit Daily News Apr. 30, 1997).[/I]
    Im pretty sure that isnt the case now, because its treating an illness, jehovas witnesses think differently towards illnesses like that, there was a jehovas witness in my old form and she had something wrong with her yet she was still treated for it.

ReputationRep:
    Markus - If you read my post I wasn't suggesting they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

There is a variety of different religions mentioned in that article.

Hope that clears that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreama)
    Markus - If you read my post I wasn't suggesting they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

There is a variety of different religions mentioned in that article.

Hope that clears that up.
    Sorry i just assumed that they were some kind of denominations of the jehovahs witness faith.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't know.

Just thought the article highlighted some Ethical issues in regard to treating Diabetes and other illnesses.

ReputationRep:
    #Insulin is created using genetic engineering now - maybe that could be your ethical problem. Someone who does not agree GE being an insulin dependent diabetic - do they use it?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard the story of a man stuck on a rooftop in a flood? Some people tried to get him out of the house before it got flooded, and he said "no thanks, God will save me". Then a boat came to get him, and again he said "no thanks, God will save me". Finally a helicopter came to rescue him as he stood on his rooftop. Again, he said "no, God will save me". When he drowned and went to heaven, he asked God why he didn't save him. God replied "I tried to save you three times, I sent the boat and the helicopter, but you ignored it".

Sorry for going all bible-basher on you but those poor kids reminded me of that story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    Anyone heard the story of a man stuck on a rooftop in a flood? Some people tried to get him out of the house before it got flooded, and he said "no thanks, God will save me". Then a boat came to get him, and again he said "no thanks, God will save me". Finally a helicopter came to rescue him as he stood on his rooftop. Again, he said "no, God will save me". When he drowned and went to heaven, he asked God why he didn't save him. God replied "I tried to save you three times, I sent the boat and the helicopter, but you ignored it".

Sorry for going all bible-basher on you but those poor kids reminded me of that story.
    Lol i like that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)

:rofl:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.