Graduate Entry Medicine - What degree is best - Anatomy or Physiology? Watch

offy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi, I’m looking to study a degree first before going for post graduate medicine as my GCSE's kind of sucked . I’ve got an offer from Physiology and an interview for Anatomy and Human Biology (both at University of Liverpool). I am just wondering is one of the above best suited to post graduate medicine, or do they both give equal merit?

I can’t choose between them, I would appreciate your views.

Thanks
Offy
Jessaay!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Whichever you're interested in and whichever you think you will do best in. I've heard of people doing really random subjects as their first degree but getting into graduate medicine. For variation I guess human biology would be good, but I don't know. If you're really that worried one will be looked at in a better light than the other, contact the universities.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Either, whatever you would enjoy more.
Toiletpaper8
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Physiology sounds more interesting.

Up to you though.
terpineol
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
To be pedantic if you want to do postgraduate medicine your only option is to do medicine.

To get onto a graduate entry course (which is stil an undergraduate course) either will do really, go for whatever you think you will do best in.
sidewinder959
Report 9 years ago
well again what others have said, do what you like most as that is the course that will give you most enjoyment and therefore best marks in subsequent exams. The degree titles you state are not just one niche, they will cover a range of topics. With anatomy and physiology you will probably get a good mix of both but with a little more emphasis on you chosen degree pathway. Human biology will ultimately give you more variety between the two if you can't decide at this stage.

However if the anatomy course gives you the chance for human cadaver dissection I would go for that (not many medical schools in the uk offer this wonderful learning experience). No matter what though all will be a massive help to progress into medicine, as a graduate you will be able to sit back and relax for the first year or so while the school leavers catch up.

I may be biased as I myself undertook anatomy before medicine, but my confidence and knowledge has given me a very good mindset that I didnt have at 18.
iceman_jondoe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Personally, I would recommend doing a physiology degree. Its extremely useful to know the physiology, the anatomy taught in medical schools can easily be self taught. Also unless your thinking of going into surgery learning detailed anatomy is quite useless. Clinical anatomy is much more relevant and by that i mean learning the innervation of the different muscle groups and the main blood supply and lymphatics. If your unsure you can always to a combined anatomy and physiology degree
petzneo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by offy)
Hi, I’m looking to study a degree first before going for post graduate medicine as my GCSE's kind of sucked . I’ve got an offer from Physiology and an interview for Anatomy and Human Biology (both at University of Liverpool). I am just wondering is one of the above best suited to post graduate medicine, or do they both give equal merit?

I can’t choose between them, I would appreciate your views.

Thanks
Offy
Honestly, both of them are good and the subjects don't count. The one that you are more interested in, is the one you should choose as you will do your best in it. And after getting a 2:1 or a 1st, they don't really care about your degree and just more about what you learnt from it that you can use in grad. med and also more about you as a person, which they will find out during the interview.

I hope that makes sense.
offy
Rep:
?
(Original post by sidewinder959)
However if the anatomy course gives you the chance for human cadaver dissection I would go for that (not many medical schools in the uk offer this wonderful learning experience).
I beleive Liverpool is one of, if not, the only university who currently offers hands on human cadaver dissection along side pre-dissected specimens.

Thanks for all your comments, I can see that the majority have highlighted Physiology. Originally I was focusing more on the Anatomy side than Physiology as I thought it was most relavent (was proven wrong on my interview day :rolleyes:). To be honest, I can picture my self doing both degrees to equal merit as they focus on my favourite subject, the human body. I suppose the best thing I can do is wait untill I have had my Anatomy interview which is in febuary. Then i shall make my mind up.
martin101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah I couldnt see myself doing an anatomy degree... O the boredom! Physiology is really interesting and I would rather enjoy that. Its your choice at the end of the day, and both imo are equally as good for GEM entry, but think about the 3 years before you apply - you want to enjoy what you're studying!
Lost_Cause
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by offy)
I beleive Liverpool is one of, if not, the only university who currently offers hands on human cadaver dissection along side pre-dissected specimens.
If you did biomed at SGUL, you can dissect the human cadavers until your heart is content! They also have the pre dissected stuff too, but thats less interesting
grace1991
Report 9 years ago
Hi, i have an offer for anatomy and human biology at liverpool 2010! sounds great, im in exactly the same boat as you, im taking medicine the long way round because my grades weren't up to it...no matter i'll get there in the end. I choose anatomy over physiology because of the relevance to mediciene, of course physiology is relevant too, but anatomy seemed to have so much more to offer, plus there are physiology modules on the course too, they're not going to tell you what an organ or muscle is without telling you what it does.! :-)

Plus anatomy offers human dissection, and physiology doesn't, which is invaluable when it comes to applying for medicine.

hope this helps (haha if ya go to liverpool, see ya next year!) :-)
offy
Rep:
?
(Original post by grace1991)
Hi, i have an offer for anatomy and human biology at liverpool 2010! sounds great, im in exactly the same boat as you, im taking medicine the long way round because my grades weren't up to it...no matter i'll get there in the end. I choose anatomy over physiology because of the relevance to mediciene, of course physiology is relevant too, but anatomy seemed to have so much more to offer, plus there are physiology modules on the course too, they're not going to tell you what an organ or muscle is without telling you what it does.! :-)

Plus anatomy offers human dissection, and physiology doesn't, which is invaluable when it comes to applying for medicine.

hope this helps (haha if ya go to liverpool, see ya next year!) :-)
If all goes well, ill see ya there :yep: Its nice to hear from someone following the same plans as me. Hope it all works out well for you.

Im thinking of chosing anatomy as my firm and physiology as my insurance. I will be happy to study both, but as i said before in a previous post, anatomy was my original choice. But hey, i got to get an offer first! :woo: Its looking good but i dont wanna get ahead of my self.

By the way, does anyone know when the deadline is to choose your firms and insurance places on UCAS?

Thanks again!

Hope everyone had a nice christmas also!
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by offy)
By the way, does anyone know when the deadline is to choose your firms and insurance places on UCAS?

Thanks again!

Hope everyone had a nice christmas also!
It depends on when your last offer arrives, but is normally around May.
Joshalli11
Badges: 4
Report 9 years ago
Guys, I'm doing 1st year GEP medicine now and can tell you that the physiology degree will set you up MUCH better for the course. Anatomy is pretty simple to learn.

But as for just getting in it doesn't matted which you do as long as you get a good 2:1 min. Oh, and start volunteering in a hospital/GP practice as soon as you move to uni... ok, after freshers week
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys, I know this thread had closed ages ago, but can you please help me?

I'm in the exact situation and would like to know any useful tip to get into graduate medicine, I'm planning on doing physiology next year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (141)
58.26%
No (101)
41.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed