Turn on thread page Beta

Thalidomide affected child brought to UK for treatment watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    No I think they will be horrified to find out it is not being used to treat a British person with no limbs.
    Why?

Disabilities can transcend nationality.

ReputationRep:
    No I think they will be horrified to find out it is not being used to treat a British person with no limbs.
    What would you say if the baby was granted British Citizenship, just because the adoptive mother is a Briton? (I understand that it's not that easy...but it is still possible)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tonight Matthew)
    I'm going to call this charity right now and ask if they've had any real reaction to it, let alone a "horrified" reaction. I will try to record the conversation and post it as an mp3.
    Thats a great idea! It might prevent you clogging up these boards for a while with stupid comments.

Are you really that sad you would actually ring up the charity AND record it :rolleyes: Don't you think that maybe the charity will have more important things to be doing than listening to you whining down the phone?

Oh dear oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    Thats a great idea! It might prevent you clogging up these boards for a while with stupid comments.

Are you really that sad you would actually ring up the charity AND record it :rolleyes: Don't you think that maybe the charity will have more important things to be doing than listening to you whining down the phone?

Oh dear oh dear...
    I would have thougt the charity would be busy redoing their website- they definitely need someone to proof read it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to call this charity right now and ask if they've had any real reaction to it, let alone a "horrified" reaction. I will try to record the conversation and post it as an mp3.
    Seriously, please please do that. That would be awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Are you really that sad you would actually ring up the charity AND record it Don't you think that maybe the charity will have more important things to be doing than listening to you whining down the phone?
    Is that a personal attack I see?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think that maybe the charity will have more important things to be doing than listening to you whining down the phone?
    Like saving babies like Freddie. This is of course who we are talking about.

http://www.thalidomideuk.com/photoga...0Left-Side.JPG

ReputationRep:

Oh dear oh dear...
    If it involves emphatically proving you wrong (although, this has already been done repeatedly), I'm prepared to sacrifice 30 seconds or so. As it is I can't actually record, so I'll have to email them instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Is that a personal attack I see?
    You actually call that an 'attack'? Seriously?! :eek: Wow I must stop saying what I think as it will no doubt be twisted into some way of making me look bad/report me/neg rep me.

But sorry, I'm not going to stop speaking my mind, why should I for people who are so small minded they cannot comprehend other opinions?

ReputationRep:
    If it involves emphatically proving you wrong (although, this has already been done repeatedly), I'm prepared to sacrifice 30 seconds or so. As it is I can't actually record, so I'll have to email them instead.
    You do that. It would be much easier on your behalf to edit an email than a phone call recording. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    You actually call that an 'attack'? Seriously?! :eek: Wow I must stop saying what I think as it will no doubt be twisted into some way of making me look bad/report me/neg rep me.

But sorry, I'm not going to stop speaking my mind, why should I for people who are so small minded they cannot comprehend other opinions?
    You're clearly not worried about causing controversy, which was your excuse for not answering my previous question. So what's your real excuse?

ReputationRep:

When you say it, its "opinion." When others say it, its "attack". Convienent. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You actually call that an 'attack'? Seriously?! Wow I must stop saying what I think as it will no doubt be twisted into some way of making me look bad/report me/neg rep me.
    Hey, you're the one who claims that Tonight Matthew is harassing you, and repeatedly asks people not to attack him/her. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    What would you say if the baby was granted British Citizenship, just because the adoptive mother is a Briton? (I understand that it's not that easy...but it is still possible)
    <cough>

ReputationRep:
    You do that. It would be much easier on your behalf to edit an email than a phone call recording. Go for it.
    Oh, the paranoia.

Please, answer people's questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    When you say it, its "opinion." When others say it, its "attack". Convienent. :rolleyes:
    I've never said anyone has 'attacked' my opinions, they have simple thrown personal attacks at me, for no reason other than they dsisagreed with what I said. By all means have an opinion just don't let it go into a personal attack. Simple. I have never personally attacked anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Back on topic Straight Talker - about your claim that British donators will be angry that their money isn't going to help British victims.

I've got news for you. The drug causing Thalidomide was withdrawn in Britain by about 1960. It is still legal in other parts of the world however, including in Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece and Turkey. As a result, how many people are really going to expect that their money is spent on British children, when British children are so much less likely to get Thalidomide in the first place?

Explain that.

ReputationRep:
    Can we please get back on task?

I am really interested to hear S_T's answer to my previous question.

ReputationRep:
    I've never said anyone has 'attacked' my opinions, they have simple thrown personal attacks at me, for no reason other than they dsisagreed with what I said. By all means have an opinion just don't let it go into a personal attack. Simple. I have never personally attacked anyone.
    You've publicly accused me of harassment. How is that not a personal attack?

And yeah, answer my above question.

ReputationRep:
    Back on topic Straight Talker - about your claim that British donators will be angry that their money isn't going to help British victims.

I've got news for you. The drug causing Thalidomide was withdrawn in Britain by about 1960. It is still legal in other parts of the world however, including in Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece and Turkey. As a result, how many people are really going to expect that their money is spent on British children, when British children are so much less likely to get Thalidomide in the first place?

Explain that.
    damn you JUST beat me to posting that:p:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.