Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    Um.. I didn't.

See an earleir post. On page 6, I think.
    You're alert at 2AM?!?! :eek: What's wrong with you..?! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Alert? I spelled 'earlier' all funny.

I'm going to have to sleep now, I think.

I'll be alert and spelling correctly tomorrow...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prad)
    You're alert at 2AM?!?! :eek: What's wrong with you..?! :p:
    You're on TSR at 2AM?!?! :eek:

*realises he is on at 2 am and shuts up* :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaf1986)
    You're on TSR at 2AM?!?! :eek:

*realises he is on at 2 am and shuts up* :p:
    I only found out there was a 9AM a week ago..

I need to stop being so lazy..

ReputationRep:
    this sheds a good light on britain, so i think it should be allowed to happen. so what if they are from another country? kenya is a ledc, england is an medc - we should share our resources kindly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    However, you can argue that we're all one people and should help each other. But I don't see why a child who is ill through the fault of the mother should receive any preferential treatment
    Hm. But we're not helping the Mother are we?
    The child couldn't exactly have leapt from the womb and made complex medical decisions that would impact upon his future health.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    A couple, originally from Kenya have won a legal battle to bring a child, with no limbs, they have just adopted to the UK for expert medical care. The child has no limbs due to his birth mother taking Thalidomide, used to treat leprosy, whist pregnant.

Apparently the nation took him to their hearts and campaigned to get him over here for treatment. :puke: Well Done. What they don’t realise is that this heart warming little fight has probably cost them so much. This country is a walk over.

My question is why should we, Britain, pay for a disabled child from another country, whose adopted parents aren’t even British, to have expensive treatment in the first place? Its absolutely baffling.

On top of that, even with the best medical treatment, this child will still have a poor quality of life. Now before you all mention ‘oh but medicine is much more advanced theses days’ I know it is, my point is that he will under go years of painful treatment, only to still be classed as disabled. This is not fair on the child.

In conclusion I feel this whole situation is disgusting. The child should not be brought into the country to have treatment which he is not entitled to. Nor should he be brought into the country full stop. Our NHS is stretched to the max now, British children are on waiting lists to have treatments for various ailments, why on Earth should they suffer for this child, whose parents have yet to contribute anything to this country?

Any comments appreciated, but please don’t bother aiming to attack me personally, as certain people have relied on so far. The point of this discussion/debate is to bring awareness to the issue.

Hello ST,
    You are right, why should "we" pay for that child. The national health service is for the "British" to enjoy not for the rest of the world. although you can argue that this is a form of charity, you don't post a thread saying Oh its my money why should i give it to the poor do you?

Also if you look at the history you will see that many countries especially UK is responsible for the situation in AFRICA. UK and a few other countries have taken physical and human resources out of Africa for years (which has crippled their economy and social infustructure and so on...)and then decided to leave ""soooo lets draw a few straight lines here and there on the map and leave Africa in chaos"". Now UK is the 4th richest country in the world (wonder why?) and has a world class health service(wonder why?) so if there isn’t a decent health service in Africa (wonder why?) to treat that boy you could argue that UK has a moral obligation to help out even if it means larger waiting lists in the NHS.
    I’m sure few of our 90 yrs old grannies who enjoyed a long and great life in one of the richest countries in the world wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) mind if they wait a few more days to nag about their back pains if it means saving that young boys life.

Finnally i would like to "attakck you personally" and say that what racist bla bla you are...no no no i'm just messing...only because you said don't attack...
    Its a Good thread by the way.

ReputationRep:
    Can I point out that the charity isn't paying, I think the president is from his own pocket.

ReputationRep:
    Look FFS since you seem to be unhealthily obsessed with me answering you're completely ridiculous question, my answer would be....yes

Now please can you be quiet and stop harassing me? Thank you.
    'Completely ridiculous question' meaning one that is perfectly valid, but one you are evidently neither able to answer, nor see the (obvious) relevance of. :rolleyes: Are you ever going to get round to answering it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have read the thread, cheers. From your comments it doesn't seem as if you're reading what I've said; perhaps you can show me where I said the kid's treatment was being paid for by the NHS.
    Well if you're aware of that, why on earth did you say:

"Sorry british kid, you can't have your life saving treatment today, this kenyan kid is more important than you."

When that isn't even going to be an issue in this case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Can I point out that the charity isn't paying, I think the president is from his own pocket.
    Which really does negate the "ooh, why should we pay for this Kenyan kid"? argument. Answer: we're not.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I think I found my twin.

I agree.

However, you can argue that we're all one people and should help each other. But I don't see why a child who is ill through the fault of the mother should receive any preferential treatment over the many other children who are starving to death or dying of AIDS every day.

To Britain, I damn well hope a British kid is worth more than a Kenyan one. "Sorry british kid, you can't have your life saving treatment today, this kenyan kid is more important than you." We live here, we were born here, this is our country and I think we have a right to be put number one! It'd be like your parents putting you second to someone elses kid.
    Er, have you never heard the phrase 'all men are made equal?' This argument isn't about prioritising foreigners over the British, have we not established already that this child is being treated through private funding. Regardless of whether its the fault of the mother for taking the drugs, the point is that the child is now disabled. So you're trying to tell me that its not the fault of mothers with AIDS who pass on the virus in the womb to their children (regardless of whether they had sex willingly or not). Everything is caused by something whether deliberate or not. This child isn't receiving preferential treatment over those with AIDS, they are also being helped. This is simply a different case that has been brought to our attention. Your rant makes you and 'straight talker' sound like very silly little girls. You might be educated at Cambridge, but so was the BNP leader Nick Griffin. Enough said......... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    You might be educated at Cambridge, but so was the BNP leader Nick Griffin. Enough said......... :mad:
    I'm sorry, but can you explain what you mean here?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    You think? Actually, he says hes paying, but he's not digging into his own pocket, he's using the charity money. So, yes, we are paying.

ReputationRep:
    You think? Actually, he says hes paying, but he's not digging into his own pocket, he's using the charity money. So, yes, we are paying.
    Where does it say that he's not "digging into his own pocket" and that he's "using charity money"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I'm sorry, but can you explain what you mean here?:confused:
    I think its pretty self explanatory. Nick Griffin is a narrow minded little bigot. Do I need to elaborate further? I mean, this girl is Cambridge educated, and probably thinks herself as someone who knows what they're on about. But so does he...... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rach1986)
    I think its pretty self explanatory. Narrow minded little bigot. Do I need to elaborate further?
    Yes, please do

ReputationRep:
    So, yes, we are paying.
    We?

ReputationRep:
    Define "we"

ReputationRep:
    Can't you read? I think you'll see I have answered it. Now please shut up about the question everyone and get back to the debate in hand.
    It is essential to the debate, I think you'll find, and therefore need proper consideration. :rolleyes: And no, you never answered it, you just dismissed it completely out of hand.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.