Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight Talker)
    You think? Actually, he says hes paying, but he's not digging into his own pocket, he's using the charity money. So, yes, we are paying.
    I don't know why you have got on your high horse about this, did you actually donate to the charity yourself? Then you might actually have a reason to go on about where YOUR money is going......

ReputationRep:
    You think? Actually, he says hes paying, but he's not digging into his own pocket, he's using the charity money. So, yes, we are paying.
    So? The Thalidomide UK charity says that it pays for Thalidomide sufferers to be treated in the UK, regardless of where they're from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    It is essential to the debate, I think you'll find, and therefore need proper consideration. :rolleyes: And no, you never answered it, you just dismissed it completely out of hand.
    First I did answer it...

Look FFS since you seem to be unhealthily obsessed with me answering you're completely ridiculous question, my answer would be....yes

Now please can you be quiet and stop harassing me? Thank you.
    Secondly it has absolutely NOTHING to do with this debate.

Thirdly, please can we put this stupid question out of the present debate. I'm seriosuly worried for you people being so obsessed with my answers, its not healthy, nor is it normal. Maybe you need to see someone.

ReputationRep:
    If I donated to the charity in question, I would be glad that my money was helping this child. Surely anyone with any human compassion would feel the same? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Could I please give a piece of advice that I've found invaluable in similar circumstances in the past....

Don't feed the troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Could I please give a piece of advice that I've found invaluable in similar circumstances in the past....

Don't feed the troll.
    Excellent! Pos Rep coming your way

ReputationRep:
    How much money have you donated to Thalidomide UK?

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Don't feed the troll.
    OK , but I'd still like her to answer posts #140, #141 and #143.

ReputationRep:
    First I did answer it...
    Go on then, as I appear to have missed it, please enlighten me as to your answer? A properly thought-out, valid answer, I mean?

Secondly it has absolutely NOTHING to do with this debate.
    On the contrary, it has an important place in the debate. Please don't make completely unjustifiable remarks - they have no place in a proper debate. Either back it up (ie. tell us why it, apparently, has nothing to do with the discussion), or don't say it at all.

Thirdly, please can we put this stupid question out of the present debate. I'm seriosuly worried for you people being so obsessed with my answers, its not healthy, nor is it normal. Maybe you need to see someone.
    We are trying, seemingly against the odds in your case, to conduct a proper debate. We are interested in your answers as part of the debating process. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    If I donated to the charity in question, I would be glad that my money was helping this child. Surely anone with any human compassion would feel the same? :confused:
    Ofcourse, however that would mean believeing Straight Talker to be human.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumballcake)
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

Don't feed the troll.
    I'm gonna pos rep you too!

ReputationRep:
    Straight Talker -

If you were British and living in Africa with an adopted son with no arms or legs and a charity offered to pay for treatment, would you turn it down?

A couple, originally from Kenya have won a legal battle to bring a child, with no limbs, they have just adopted to the UK for expert medical care. The child has no limbs due to his birth mother taking Thalidomide, used to treat leprosy, whist pregnant.

Apparently the nation took him to their hearts and campaigned to get him over here for treatment. :puke: Well Done. What they don’t realise is that this heart warming little fight has probably cost them so much. This country is a walk over.

My question is why should we, Britain, pay for a disabled child from another country, whose adopted parents aren’t even British, to have expensive treatment in the first place? Its absolutely baffling.

On top of that, even with the best medical treatment, this child will still have a poor quality of life. Now before you all mention ‘oh but medicine is much more advanced theses days’ I know it is, my point is that he will under go years of painful treatment, only to still be classed as disabled. This is not fair on the child.

In conclusion I feel this whole situation is disgusting. The child should not be brought into the country to have treatment which he is not entitled to. Nor should he be brought into the country full stop. Our NHS is stretched to the max now, British children are on waiting lists to have treatments for various ailments, why on Earth should they suffer for this child, whose parents have yet to contribute anything to this country?

Any comments appreciated, but please don’t bother aiming to attack me personally, as certain people have relied on so far. The point of this discussion/debate is to bring awareness to the issue.
    firstly theres the fact that the couple (or rather the mother) who have adopted this child are british citizens, and thus can do whatever the hell they like. If they adopt a baby abroad then thats absolutely fine so long as it passes our laws.
    the only actual issue there WAS with this child was a bit of confusion (more communication errors really) because in order to grant visas etc they need to verify whose the child is etc.
    incidently this child would probablary have been killed - not died, but been killed in a country which doesnt take kindly to deformed babies.

Your issue is with immigrants as a whole, not this baby. Just admit it.

(Original post by Dreama)
    Straight Talker -

If you were British and living in Africa with an adopted son with no arms or legs and a charity offered to pay for treatment, would you turn it down?
    thinig is I don't think people here realise what 'treatment' is being proposed for the child.
    Basically it hasn't been putting on sufficient weight and they want to to exploratory procedures or an op to correct whatever internal problem there is.
    you can't 'treat' lack of limbs, especially when the stumps are so small that you cant attach anything.
    Britain has some of the top doctors when it comes to thalidomide related deformaties, its small wonder that the bairn is coming here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)

Your issue is with immigrants as a whole, not this baby. Just admit it.
    naturally. were the baby white she would have no issues at all :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Straight talker, you don't have a leg to stand on! You can't even back your arguments up with valid points. This was supposed to be a debate, but you can't even back your arguments up anyway, maybe you should think before you start a debate on something deemed controversial when you can't even argue your case?!

ReputationRep:
    Straight talker, you don't have a leg to stand on!
    Tasteless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Tasteless.
    It wasn't meant as a pun :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    Tasteless.
    She blatantly didn't mean it like that.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't meant as a pun
    I know, I was only joking :p:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.