Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are they really strict about ID in england (particularly London)? as in do they check it any time every time... or are they fairly lax? can you get by without an ID card....

ReputationRep:
    If you look young they will likely to ask for ID, if you hessitate you won't get in, if you calmly say I didn't think I would need it they often let you in.

However a passport would do, and I assume you're 18 or over otherwise you wouldn't be making this thread would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sub)
    Are they really strict about ID in england (particularly London)? as in do they check it any time every time... or are they fairly lax? can you get by without an ID card....
    not if you want to get into bars and clubs etc if you dont look 18, i'd take one anyway. Anyway you'd have your passport wont you.

ReputationRep:
    In Brighton, they ID everyone who looks under 21...I'm guessing it would be the same in London. Oh and they only accept Driving Licences or Passports, as its easy to get fake ID.

ReputationRep:
    Thats odd, they were perfectly happy with my Salford University NUS card down in Brighton.

But then I am 23.

In Manchester they prefer NUS cards over anything else, quite often on a saturday they won't let you in without one unless you get there early.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    If you look young they will likely to ask for ID, if you hessitate you won't get in, if you calmly say I didn't think I would need it they often let you in.

However a passport would do, and I assume you're 18 or over otherwise you wouldn't be making this thread would you?
    not till december....
    fair enough, I was under the impression that english pubs are pretty slack from what ppl have told me. I look oldish...

(Original post by *Sub)
    not till december....
    you shouldnt be drinkin anyway then. so expect to be refused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Thats odd, they were perfectly happy with my Salford University NUS card down in Brighton.

But then I am 23.

In Manchester they prefer NUS cards over anything else, quite often on a saturday they won't let you in without one unless you get there early.
    I guess that if you have a Uni card they know that you are over 18 so that would probably be why...plus you are 23 and so probably look much older than me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    you shouldnt be drinkin anyway then. so expect to be refused
    aha, i dont really drink... more of a social thing, going out with ppl etc

(Original post by *Sub)
    aha, i dont really drink... more of a social thing, going out with ppl etc
    then im sure you wont mind goin without a drink or 2. you wont be missin much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sub)
    not till december....
    fair enough, I was under the impression that english pubs are pretty slack from what ppl have told me. I look oldish...
    pubs are different - if you look old you'll probably be ok, depending on the pub. If it's a quiet one they don't usually ID. Clubs and bars with bouncers are different, though.

ReputationRep:
    the wetherspoons in cambridge id'd me and wouldn't accept a cambridge university card :rolleyes: we explained that you need to be 18 within a term after matriculation, and cambridge wouldn't be giving out fake ids anyway, but the dumb waitress wouldn't accept it. she looked even more stupid when i showed her my drivers licence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    the wetherspoons in cambridge id'd me and wouldn't accept a cambridge university card :rolleyes: we explained that you need to be 18 within a term after matriculation, and cambridge wouldn't be giving out fake ids anyway, but the dumb waitress wouldn't accept it. she looked even more stupid when i showed her my drivers licence.
    These type of bouncers should not be allowed to work, in fact if they have not passed exams and it is now ilegal for bouncers to work.

One good thing about Manchester becuase of the sheer amount of students they know how to spot fake NUS cards etc.

ReputationRep:
    *proposes a course called Bouncer Studies at some polytechnic*

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how old you look. Obviously they won't ask you if you look 18 or over, if they think you look younger than 18, then it depends on the bar/club. Some are really easy going and will let you in even if you look about 12; hence lots of young people go to these kind of venues, because they know they won't get ID'd. The more respectable places however will ask for ID if you look younger than 18. Once again, it depends on the venue whether they will let you in or not even if you don't have ID. If you charm them and look sweet enough, and convey that you have genuinely forgotten ID, or have had no prior need for it, then you should get in. But if you come across as aggressive, nervous, or hesitant, you may well be denied.

It really all depends on the venue. Generally speaking also, it's easier for girls to get in than boys, as the majority of doormen are male, if you understand me...

ReputationRep:
    if possible surround yourself with ladies of a busty nature so they wont even notice you as you go in..

(Original post by bohogirlie)
    I guess that if you have a Uni card they know that you are over 18 so that would probably be why...plus you are 23 and so probably look much older than me!
    Although my friend has a card saying she goes to Liverpool Uni that her sister got her to use as ID and go to student nights etc and another friend has one saying she goes to Lancaster.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on how old you look and how old the people you are with look. i am 21 and i still get id'd to do the lottery. i was in a weatherspoons in central manchester with about 15 of my friends, boys and girls, all aged 20/21, and one of the girls went to get a drink and was id'd, she didnt have any on her so they refused to serve her or anyone that was with her, even if they had proof. granted myself and many of my friends are dwarves and look about 12, so if there's any chance you look young and dont have id, forget it. but my younger brother is 18 and really tall, he has been buying alcohol in bars and pubs since he was 16, no questions asked. it really gets on my nerves. but my mums friend was id'd in m&s buying a bottle of red wine. he is 29.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    why didn't you just use your driving license to begin with?

lots of places, and i think most wetherspoons, have a passport/driving license only policy. It's too easy to get hold of uni cards - my sister, for example, helped make them when the freshers came, so was no problem to get an extra one for me. oh, and by the way - she's at cambridge. So in essence, cambridge would give out fake ids.

They're not being stupid, they're doing their jobs!

ReputationRep:
    A m8 has a ID for University of Sutton. Apparently works each time.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.