Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    University of Sutton?

You, um, wha?

ReputationRep:
    drivers licence or passport only tbh.

Anything else is too easy to forge and I wouldn't rely upon it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    the wetherspoons in cambridge id'd me and wouldn't accept a cambridge university card :rolleyes: we explained that you need to be 18 within a term after matriculation, and cambridge wouldn't be giving out fake ids anyway, but the dumb waitress wouldn't accept it. she looked even more stupid when i showed her my drivers licence.
    Well why didn't you show that in the first place. When my friends got NUS cards, they just made their D.O.B older on the form and that worked, so they are hardly going to accept them. Also a uni card isnt a legal form of I'd, they can get sacked for accepting anything less, so i wouldn't call her dumb.

You need a VALID passport, cannot be out of date or with cut corners, also if you only have a provisional drivers licence, bring the papers just to make sure. Tho if you are under 18, central London isn't very tight.. in my local area, i had to blag it into the bars and u cudnt get in the clubs without passport, hard for a 16 year old, but in london we all got into camden palace, fabric ect wen we were 15/16 no problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dogtanian)
    University of Sutton?

You, um, wha?
    Thats the point. It doesnt actually exist, but apparantly it still works.

ReputationRep:
    well IDs in UK are mostly for your age verification, when you go to pubs and discos. It is not that strict to have an ID everywhere, like lets say Hong Kong(where you use your ID everywhere, e.g. library, pub, college, uni - i ve read it from thread). In some countries it is like your internal passport. So you have two passports, external one for travelling and internal one(ID) for the use in ur country. However the country is trying to implement ID cards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    the wetherspoons in cambridge id'd me and wouldn't accept a cambridge university card :rolleyes: we explained that you need to be 18 within a term after matriculation, and cambridge wouldn't be giving out fake ids anyway, but the dumb waitress wouldn't accept it. she looked even more stupid when i showed her my drivers licence.
    Let's, for once, look at this from the other person's point of view, shall we?

I've been a waitress and barmaid in a variety of pubs and restaurants. In the last pub I worked in, before starting my current job, all the other girls I was working with were students. Helen was 2nd year law at KCL, Ali was first year history at Warwick, Serena was just about to start Maths at Cambridge, for example. Hardly "dumb waitresses". :rolleyes:

We all took the same line with people who couldn't produce a driving license or passport to prove they were over 18. It was our responsibility to make sure that we were not serving underage customers. If we were caught serving someone who turned out to be under 18, we would lose our jobs, have to pay a big fine, and the landlord might have lost his licence to sell alcohol. If you own a pub, and selling alcohol is effectively your livelihood, that's pretty devastating.

On the other hand, if someone was over 18 and we refused to serve them because they couldn't produce valid ID, they would have had to leave. Big deal. Why should we worry? If they couldn't prove their age, that was their problem. Not ours.

If you had your driving licence with you, you should have used it to start with, rather than making a fuss and attempting to belittle the waitress. She was doing her job. Nothing more, nothing less. A "dumb waitress" would probably have accepted your university card and put herself and the whole establishment at risk if it turned out to be fake. She was being responsible. Have some respect.

ReputationRep:
    University of Sutton hehe

In Croydon they are really strict, all the pubs and bars there have bouncers and they have a policy where if they look under 21 you have to ID them, so it's almost impossible for an underage male like myself to get in. Nearly 18 now though so not long to wait

ReputationRep:
    3 years. ages

ReputationRep:
    Depends on where you go. Some friends and I went to the cinema to celebrate the end of our mock GCSEs in December. At the time I was only 15, all my other friends were 16. I'm only 5 ft as well So we went to the cinema to see a 15, all of us being legally old enough, and at the time we didn't have student cards. So they let in one of my friends, and were about to let me in when they looked at the other friend who was standing behind me and suddenly asked for ID. We didn't have any, but we explained to him we were celebrating the end of our mock GCSEs, we'd bought the tickets, and we were all legally old enough. He continued asking for ID, so we explained we weren't yet old enough for student cards and weren't going to carry our passports around a dodgy area at night for someone to nick. This carried on for about ten minutes, until some girls we knew (who were fortunately celebrating their birthday, them being twins) wearing big "I AM 16" badges came along, and he finally agreed to let us in.

So, yes - if you have ID, bring it along anyway. They won't always ask for it, but bring it along. And you can go into a pub at 17, you just can't buy alcohol, so you can at least go with your mates and steal their drinks :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got asked for ID in M&S at Christmas time (I wasn't 18) and I used a real NUS card, with a fake birthday. The man was really appologetic. I felt awful. Now I'm 18, and I can use my passport

ReputationRep:
    Tbh alot of places are gettin a hella lot stricter now with all the fuss about binge drinking alot of places are no tolerance zones now were u got a 60 bunce fine if you are caught drinking underage or they produce you ( produce ID at a police station within a week to prove ur over 18) all the decent places were its worth spending your money will be strict hence why they are good, mainly the big inner citys that will be strict manchester, birmingham etc but local town centres tend to be less harsh on ID, id take it neway but if ur not 18 and really wanna go out on the lash id suggest staying away from major inner citys and sticking to the local town centres.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.