The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MonsterMunch
Doing research, would love ANY feedback! :smile:

1) Do you actively call yourself a feminist? If not..why?

2) What are the pros/cons of feminism?

3) What is the relationship between men and feminism?

1) One, should say, "I advocate feminism" rather than "I am a feminist" since feminism is not about women labeling themselves.
2) (PRO) Feminism is acknowledging the contribution of women to society whether independent or in supportive roles with their famous male counterparts. The central theme of feminism is love - love for oneself and for others.
(CON) Feminism can also be bias as it fails to incorporate the diversity of women into the feminist discourse, meaning women of various socioeconomic backgrounds, religious affiliations, race, and education are often excluded or ignored in the mainstream feminist movement giving rise to the womanist movement etc.
3) Feminism further examines how both women and men can jointly work together to construct new gender roles and gender identity.

Hope this helps
1) Do you actively call yourself a feminist? If not..why? No, not really. Yes, I want equality for all sexes, races and creeds etc. but I find the whole 'women are better' thing a bit tiresome.

2) What are the pros/cons of feminism? Pros are it works/worked, it's done a lot to raise awareness of the inequality of the genders. Cons are most people think feminists are nuts because of the few that give them a bad name and that it's not completely successful.

3) What is the relationship between men and feminism? AFAIK, a fair amount of men would support it, even if it's die hard roots.
Reply 3
I don't mind feminists as long as they stay in the kitchen.
Reply 4
kiss_me_now9
1) Do you actively call yourself a feminist? If not..why? No, not really. Yes, I want equality for all sexes, races and creeds etc. but I find the whole 'women are better' thing a bit tiresome.

2) What are the pros/cons of feminism? Pros are it works/worked, it's done a lot to raise awareness of the inequality of the genders. Cons are most people think feminists are nuts because of the few that give them a bad name and that it's not completely successful.

3) What is the relationship between men and feminism? AFAIK, a fair amount of men would support it, even if it's die hard roots.

Just to clarify, feminism is not the mentality that 'women are better.' In point of fact, that is contrary to feminism becuase by definition feminism is the belief that the sexes are equal, rather than one being superior to the other. While I do see why it can often come off that way, I think it's important to make the distinction between what feminism is often perceived to be and what it actually is.

No, because of all of its connotations. Whilst I obviously support equal rights for women, often feminists seem to desire a 'more than equal' place in society. Plus I'm completely against anti-discrimination legislation etc etc. Basically, I would never agree with the feminist movement on any practical level.

Pros: Without it, I would not have the opportunities I currently do.
Cons: On a practical level, the modern feminist movement seems to consist solely of authoritarian :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:.

In my experience, men are often the victims of modern feminism. I feel there is a consensus on minimising discrimination within society, with probably equal support from both genders, so many lines drawn between the two genders by feminists are merely arbitrary. Discussions on gender identity would benefit both men and women though.
Reply 6
MonsterMunch

1) No, then again I am male. I just spend a lot of time dealing with Gender politics. But feminism has a very bad reputation as a word and a concept AND it contains some very strange sub-divisions.

2)
Pro's: Well they are essentially right. Economically, socially and politically there is no reason why women shouldn't be equal. Socially is a little more murky due to how we perceive the model family, and to an extent I don't think equality should mean the wholesale destruction of that, it is part of our culture.

Cons: There are too many feminists who make two key mistakes. 1) They become purely pro-female rather than pro-equality, seeing them as the same thing when they are quite clearly not. 2) Often the feminists I know simply wish to extend their moral viewpoint over other women. They criticise women on the basis of terms like "role models" or "think of your daughter, would you want her to...." By definition making sure women can make all the choices they want to do in life, also means they should be able to 'objectify' themselves through being a glamour model, being in a beauty pageant or giving head. It frustrates me that feminists who claim to want women to be able to choose anything, then criticise the choices women make.

3) Men often simply joke about feminism because we realise its correctness and simply assume gender equality has been reached. The most obvious feminists are often the bra-burning, lesbian, vitriolic ones of TV/satire. These are ridiculed and other feminists tarnished by the same brush. Essentially we think it has crossed over into ridiculous positive discrimination and frankly do not want to lose our women to the feminist stereotype!
MonsterMunch

1) Either that, or something like "gender egalitarian." I categorically oppose discrimination based on gender. Most of this discrimination is directed towards women; hence, the rise of feminism.

2) Are there pros to irrational discrimination against individuals as a result of their gender? If there are, I'm not aware of them. The cons, I think, should be obvious.

3) That's extraordinarily complex, actually. I recommend reading the Men and Feminism
article on Wikipedia for a brief summary.
Reply 8
Strange to have come upon this. After just writing this:

Do you believe that women should be allowed to vote, own property, have custody of their children?

Do you believe that women have a right to say "no" to sex and in general have a right to bodily integrity?

Do you believe that women should be educated according to their desire to learn and/or train for a career?

Do you believe that women have a right to progress in their careers, jobs, hobbies according to their talent and how hard they work?

Do you believe that women should be treated equally to men in their efforts to achieve political office?

Do you believe that women should be able to work free from harassment of any kind, as all workers are entitled?

Do you believe that women should be given a choice whether to become pregnant and give birth to healthy children?

Do you believe that women have a right to live violence-free in households where they have equal rights to family income or their own income and to leave a spousal relationship free from physical, psychological or economic harm should they so choose?

THEN YOU ARE A FEMINIST DAG NAB IT AND YOU LIVE, BREATHE AND WORK ON THE SHOULDERS OF FEMINISTS BEFORE YOU. DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY SO! IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU WARTS OR MAKE HAIR SPROUT ON YOUR LEGS DESPITE ALL ATTEMPTS TO BANISH IT. YOU CAN EVEN KEEP YOUR BRA.
Reply 9
hysperia
Strange to have come upon this. After just writing this:

Do you believe that women should be allowed to vote, own property, have custody of their children?

Do you believe that women have a right to say "no" to sex and in general have a right to bodily integrity?

Do you believe that women should be educated according to their desire to learn and/or train for a career?

Do you believe that women have a right to progress in their careers, jobs, hobbies according to their talent and how hard they work?

Do you believe that women should be treated equally to men in their efforts to achieve political office?

Do you believe that women should be able to work free from harassment of any kind, as all workers are entitled?

Do you believe that women should be given a choice whether to become pregnant and give birth to healthy children?

Do you believe that women have a right to live violence-free in households where they have equal rights to family income or their own income and to leave a spousal relationship free from physical, psychological or economic harm should they so choose?

THEN YOU ARE A FEMINIST DAG NAB IT AND YOU LIVE, BREATHE AND WORK ON THE SHOULDERS OF FEMINISTS BEFORE YOU. DON'T BE AFRAID TO SAY SO! IT DOESN'T GIVE YOU WARTS OR MAKE HAIR SPROUT ON YOUR LEGS DESPITE ALL ATTEMPTS TO BANISH IT. YOU CAN EVEN KEEP YOUR BRA.

Lol. Scary :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending