Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If there's no one to sign for an item (a letter in this case), will it still be left at the address it was meant to be delivered to? Because I'm using royal mail's tracker service, and it still says there's no information about an item I sent on Wednesday first class. Another item I sent at the same time from the same post office was received on Thursday morning, so I'm a bit worried!

if there is no1 in, a card gets left and the parcel goes to the post office. the person then has to go and collect it, or phone for it to be delivered again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidAngel)
    if there is no1 in, a card gets left and the parcel goes to the post office. the person then has to go and collect it, or phone for it to be delivered again
    Even if it's a letter and not a package?

(Original post by Chardonnay)
    it has to be signed by the person who its for, or someone on their behalf, but they have to sign the card to say someone else can sign for it (when collecting from post office)

anyone can sign for it if there is someone in

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the service works regardless of the item, because the point is that someone has to pick it up for it to be 'recorded.'

ReputationRep:
    it has to be signed by the person who its for, or someone on their behalf, but they have to sign the card to say someone else can sign for it
    Grr that's so annoying. I sent it recorded because I thought it'd be safer, but it's actually more hassle. It's not being sent to a home address, but to an office so I'm guessing there was no one around to sign for it. I doubt anyone would go to the post office and get it though, and if it's not there by Tuesday I'm screwed

Any suggestions on what to do?

Grr that's so annoying. I sent it recorded because I thought it'd be safer, but it's actually more hassle. It's not being sent to a home address, but to an office so I'm guessing there was no one around to sign for it. I doubt anyone would go to the post office and get it though, and if it's not there by Tuesday I'm screwed

Any suggestions on what to do?
    not much you can do. its upto the receipent. after a certain time it will be sent back to sender. not sure how long it is tho
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sometimes postmen are naughty and just post it regardless and sign the sheet themselves, but they're not supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Sometimes postmen are naughty and just post it regardless and sign the sheet themselves, but they're not supposed to.
    I hope that's happened. I just need the letter to be there, I don't care how

(Original post by Juno)
    some do.

a few years ago there was a spare car on my drive so i told the bloke from fedex to leave it in the boot (i would leave it open) and for him to sign it. saved both of us loads of hassle

ReputationRep:
    I've emailed the office, and told them the situation, but they won't e-mail/phone me back until Monday when they reopen. Is there anything I can do if it's not there by Monday?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    not much you can do. its upto the receipent. after a certain time it will be sent back to sender. not sure how long it is tho
    The delivery office will keep it for a week and then send it back if it isn't collected or` delievery rearranged in that time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The delivery office will keep it for a week and then send it back if it isn't collected or` delievery rearranged in that time
    It HAS to be there by Tuesday though

ReputationRep:
    When it is held at the Post Office it costs 50p to pick it up. Also i found that on the Royal Mail's web site the tracker, that it doesn't work as it has not found info on it, but i know that it had been recived. I think that it is the post men and women who don't get it signed for on delivery because they can't be bothered even though they got a £1000 bonus this year!

It HAS to be there by Tuesday though
    they should go collect it

(Original post by langleyster)
    When it is held at the Post Office it costs 50p to pick it up.
    no it doesnt. its free to pick up. its 50P to have it sent from the main post office to a local post office for collection
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by langleyster)
    When it is held at the Post Office it costs 50p to pick it up. Also i found that on the Royal Mail's web site the tracker, that it doesn't work as it has not found info on it, but i know that it had been recived. I think that it is the post men and women who don't get it signed for on delivery because they can't be bothered even though they got a £1000 bonus this year!
    No, it is taken to the delivery office. If the recipient then phones them and arranges for it to be taken to the post office it will cost 50p. Otherwise, re delivery or picking it up from the delivery office is free.

ReputationRep:
    they should go collect it
    Hmm they probably won't though. Bugger.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.