Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Breaking News: West Midlands Police are currently in the process of evacuating Birmingham city centre.

No vehicles are being allowed to enter the area within the “inner ring road”

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668313.stm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all the clubs have been evacuated and they're telling people to stay away from the city because of a "credible security threat". That leaves 30,000 people on the street confused... hmmm... they didn't issue a warning for London, I wonder if this is just people being overly paranoid

ReputationRep:
    On BBC News: "Police are evacuating 1000s of people from the centre and are closing the broad street entertainment zone with 30,000 visitors on a Saturday evening"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    they didn't issue a warning for London, I wonder if this is just people being overly paranoid

Probably.

Like I said, the number of security alerts always goes up after this sort of thing because people are more aware, both of the suspicious bags and whatnot that they had previously ignored, and also of the importance of reporting what they are concerned about. As it's better to be safe than sorry, places are evacuated, and the police dispose of the package/bag/whatever.

Doesn't mean there's anything to be scared of. In fact, almost all of the time. It's nothing. If that wasn't the case, we'd live in a much scarier world...

ReputationRep:
    i think it's just a false alarm

ReputationRep:
    Jesus. I was very nearly going to go out there tonight, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sqa7)
    i think it's just a false alarm
    "Credible intelligence"

They're blocking all traffic from entering within the inner ring road. That's a pretty big area, and a very big undertaking.

I'm not willing to make speculations as to the credibility of the intelligence, but when security services are prepared to take such drastic action, you do not take it lightly.

ReputationRep:
    West Midlands police will hold a press conf at 10pm

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but speculation is both pointless and needless when we're not gonna know what's happening just yet..
    There'll be a press conference soon. At least wait until then.

ReputationRep:
    Will they cover the press conference on BBC 1?

ReputationRep:
    Dunno.

The news is supposed the end at ten. Maybe they'll extend it, I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    It's on the BBC News site live video - I've tuned in and it says the broadcast has ended :confused: ah well I'll wait

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it will be a hoax/mistake, obviously it's just a very sensitive time, but wowee.

ReputationRep:
    they've conducted a number of controlled explosions and authorities say there is a real risk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    they've conducted a number of controlled explosions and authorities say there is a real risk
    whered you hear that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    whered you hear that?
    BBC News 24.
    Apparantly there are 300 teenagers wandering the streets. These are people our age :eek:

ReputationRep:
    There is a real risk? or there was?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    BBC News 24.
    Apparantly there are 300 teenagers wandering the streets. These are people our age :eek:
    So there were real bombs in Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    Again, as with in the London bombings thread, we're gonna have to start quoting sources here... ditto with confirmed/unconfirmed reports.

just in case :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    There is a real risk? or there was?
    I said there were a number or controlled explosions conducted by poilce, there IS a real risk. - BBC News 24.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.