Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its probably just scare mongering, the same thing happened in Manchester earlier when a suit case was found. I am sure it will be nothing, but its always best to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    BBC News 24.
    Apparantly there are 300 teenagers wandering the streets. These are people our age :eek:
    what? just lost and confused with the drama or out for raping and pillaging?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Its probably just scare mongering, the same thing happened in Manchester earlier when a suit case was found. I am sure it will be nothing, but its always best to be on the safe side.
    I hope your right - but thats what people were saying on the London thread right at the start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    what? just lost and confused with the drama or out for raping and pillaging?
    Because they've been evacuated from all the clubs/ city centre. BBC News 24 is not talking about Birmingham anymore, hopefully they'll come back to it soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I said there were a number or controlled explosions conducted by poilce, there IS a real risk. - BBC News 24.
    controlled explosions in Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    controlled explosions in Birmingham?
    Indeed ^o) And don't ask how many, they kept saying "A number of controlled explosions have been conducted by police, authorities say there IS a real risk"

I hope this is just the police being really, unduly careful.

ReputationRep:
    Its not even headline news, but then its not London so the media don't really give a toss but this might explain things

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668313.stm

It seems its just a scare and nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    Radio Five Live has just been evacuated (the birmingham studio bit) - a WIDER evacuation and more parts of Birmingham is being evacuated

ReputationRep:
    There's seems to be no police conference about Birmingham. :confused: They said on the news and on the BBC website that there will be a police onference too. It's not on TV or online.

I find it quite strange that there is intelligence suggesting attacks in Birmingham and not London. I just hope the attacks on Birmingham can be stopped before it is carried out.

ReputationRep:
    West Midlands police issued a "public warning" originally, the precedent set for 'public warnings' (which then escalated into a full evacuation of the centre) is that there is a specific threat to safety received by police/government intelligence agencies. While this hopefully will amount to nothing, this isn't the result of a suspicious package being found alone with no other reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Lets just try not to speculate too much, remember we have members in Birmingham and lets not scare them. Its could be a prank (i.e people leaving empty packages).

However I am certainly a bit worried about the state of UK security at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    A security alert of this nature would have been issued my MI5 and/or the anti-terrorist branch of the Metropolitan police.

The evacuation of a city centre is unprecedented, so I think we can be pretty much certain that there is a real and credible threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Its not even headline news, but then its not London so the media don't really give a toss but this might explain things

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4668313.stm

It seems its just a scare and nothing more.
    Yeah I just searched Sky News and that link, they don't mention controlled explosions.
    Someone go onto BBC News 24 and you'll see it says in the banner at the bottom of the page, and they're talking about sport :mad: - So it doesn't look like it's just me over-reacting

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else starting to feel something of a dislike for Islam?

ReputationRep:
    are you joking...i live in birmingham.
    this is awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Lets just try not to speculate too much, remember we have members in Birmingham and lets not scare them. Its could be a prank (i.e people leaving empty packages).

However I am certainly a bit worried about the state of UK security at the moment.
    It's very unlikely to be just a prank with a few empty packages, and that can be said (and has been) without much speculation (!) Hopefully it's just incorrect intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    No, just the extremists who do this sort of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Nope as I don't think we can blame islam for these attacks. Islam is just being used as the excuse rather than the reason.

The IRA ripped my city to millions of pieces but I don't have a dislike for catholics.

I feel sorry for the majority of British mulsims trying to make an honest living with all this ill feeling.

ReputationRep:

Um... no...

ReputationRep:
    Why Birmingham? what makes that place stick out to terrorists? :s:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.