Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miles)
    It's very unlikely to be just a prank with a few empty packages, and that can be said (and has been) without much speculation (!) Hopefully it's just incorrect intelligence.
    All I know is according to all the news reports there was going to be a massive explosion in Manchester Picciddily station (one of the busiest in the country) it never happened.

There was a big evacuation there.

Even if somthing does happen if people have been evacuated hopefully the damage will only be structual. The Manchester IRA bomb caused the most damage ever in the UK due to a single terrost attack, but becuase everybody was evucated nobody was killed, but there was 1000's of injuries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    Is anyone else starting to feel something of a dislike for Islam?
    uh.

no, not at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    No, just the extremists who do this sort of stuff.
    Indeed.
    edder's you're a mod- surely you can see this isn't the time nor place and your comment is unjustified and unfair?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    Why Birmingham? what makes that place stick out to terrorists? :s:
    probley becuase its the 2nd city of England.....
    im scared to go to the city center now !!

ReputationRep:
    Where's the press conference gone??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    All I know is according to all the news reports there was going to be a massive explosion in Manchester Picciddily station (one of the busiest in the country) it never happened.

There was a big evacuation there.

Even if somthing does happen if people have been evacuated hopefully the damage will only be structual. The Manchester IRA bomb caused the most damage ever in the UK due to a single terrost attack, but becuase everybody was evucated nobody was killed, but there was 1000's of injuries.
    I am in no way suggesting that something is likely to happen, merely referring to the existing guidelines they have in place for evacuation of a whole city centre, i.e. there has to be accompanying intelligence, a specific threat. Whether or not this threat is real or not is not can't really be commented on at this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Indeed.
    edder's you're a mod- surely you can see this isn't the time nor place and your comment is unjustified and unfair?
    Well, I don't think it's either of those things. You don't see many Christian terrorists nowadays do you? Perhaps the British muslims doing this stuff should learn to respect the freedom they're given in this country rather than using it to kill innocent people.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't think it's either of those things. You don't see many Christian terrorists nowadays do you? Perhaps the British muslims doing this stuff should learn to respect the freedom they're given in this country rather than using it to kill innocent people.
    I agree with Saffie. That attitude is the one that leads to religous hatred. Why would you dislike Islam based on the actions of some extremists? The extremists are the ones to dislike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HearTheThunder)
    Where's the press conference gone??
    I was thinking the same thing too. It says it will come on around 10-30 minutes, but it hasn't yet. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Al-queda are to Islam, what the KKK is to Christianity. The Koran does not say it's OK to kill people, and the majority of Muslims would not do so. You think the culprits are British Muslims?!- Well the News begs to differ.

If you're of that opinion, go to D&D, and I shan't be joining you there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    I agree with Saffie. That attitude is the one that leads to religous hatred. Why would you dislike Islam based on the actions of some extremists? The extremists are the ones to dislike.
    I think there is a genuine problem with the Muslim community in this country. It's true that the majority - the large majority - have been assimilated into British society. However, there are large numbers that are sympathetic to this kind of thing.

"Counterterrorism officials estimate that 10,000 to 15,000 Muslims living in Britain are supporters of Al Qaeda. Among that number, officials believe that as many as 600 men were trained in training camps connected with Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and elsewhere."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/in...rtner=homepage

If we're going to stop that sympathy it's really the responsibility of the Muslim community to be much more active in discouraging sympathy for terrorism. It's sympathetic homes that allow terrorists to evade detection. If the Muslim community took a real stand we could isolate the few who are doing this.

ReputationRep:
    wow i didnt realise what a narrowminded fool you actually are.

ReputationRep:
    I think the leaders of Islamic communities need to take more direct action to prevent the extremism undertaken by people acting the the name of Islam. These people are motivated by the belief that by doing this they will go to heaven. The community leaders need to make it quite clear that they won't. Killing innocent people (or at least trying to) => hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    I think the TSR moderation-choosing procedure needs to be refined :cool: I guess edders has never actually spoken to an English Muslim in his life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my brothers just been evacuated from gig he was at in central bham....apparantly he heard a bang which was the bomb disposal unit

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a genuine problem with the Muslim community in this country. It's true that the majority - the large majority - have been assimilated into British society. However, there are large numbers that are sympathetic to this kind of thing.

"Counterterrorism officials estimate that 10,000 to 15,000 Muslims living in Britain are supporters of Al Qaeda. Among that number, officials believe that as many as 600 men were trained in training camps connected with Al Qaeda in Afghanistan and elsewhere."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/in...rtner=homepage

If we're going to stop that sympathy it's really the responsibility of the Muslim community to be much more active in discouraging sympathy for terrorism. It's sympathetic homes that allow terrorists to evade detection. If the Muslim community took a real stand we could isolate the few who are doing this.
    Whether or not this is the case, you've still not given justification for hating Islam, just the minority (those impossible to confirm figures still make them in the minority) who distort the and misread the teachings of Islam for evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    I think the TSR moderation-choosing procedure needs to be refined
    That's well dodgy suggesting he's a bad moderator just because he doesn't share your view.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get the whole "controlled explosion" things.. what are they exactly?

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/default.stm

It's become the main story now

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.