Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Google)
    its not allowed in Islam to take over countries
    But that is exactly how Islam spread in the early part of its history. Don't know about later on, but from what I studied last year, I know that during its initial period of expansion Islam was spread through conquering warfare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whizz Kid)
    islam is a strict religion. i think the threadstarter is just concerned that britain (a relatively "laid back" western country in terms of religion) would be converted into a country were middle eastern religious practice is highly influenced, thus, changing the face of britain totally.
    What on earth do you base this on?

How is Islam 'strict' and Christianity not?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by LibertineNorth
    I recommend '1985' by Anthony Burgess as an interesting story on the point.
    (Original post by kew96158)
    You mean George Orwell..
    No, I mean Anthony Burgess.

(Original post by zaf1986)
    Neg rep with the comment "pie". Weird.
    LOL, gotta love some people's justifications.

ReputationRep:
    No, this country will never become muslim, unless british people stop having sex and muslims continuing having loads of kids, and will never be invaded by Muslims. Currently muslims represent very small proportion of Britain's population and it is highly unlikely the country will become muslim. Muslims in this country are peaceful people and there is nothing to be afraid of if this country becomes one

ReputationRep:
    But that is exactly how Islam spread in the early part of its history. Don't know about later on, but from what I studied last year, I know that during its initial period of expansion Islam was spread through conquering warfare.

this happend only when the authority of a country refused letting some Muslim to enter this country and tell people about Islam
    do you know that Islam was spreaded into many countries only by the movement of trading?
    Muslims were allowed to enter China, so Islam did not 'ruled' it
    but nowadays, with the media availble
    there is no need to do this
    the same way the British Council in Jordan, as an example, works
    spreading the British language and culture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    there is nothing to be afraid of if this country becomes one
    But surely having a muslim government would go against our historic heritage, traditional culture and so on...for a start it would mean throwing away a system of government and law which has evolved over centuries into what it is today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    How did you arrive to the conclusion that 50 million were killed by marxist russia?
    Gulags anyone? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    Nazist Germany killed 55 million..
    No, 55 million died as a result of the Second World War, not killed by Nazi Germany. As to the Nazis, about 11 million died in the Holocaust - 6 million Jews and 5 million gays, gypsies, opponents etc. To be added on to that is the many Russian prisoners of war who died in prisoner of war camps and all those killed when the Germans crushed partisan revolts, executed the educated elites of Poland and the USSR when they were invaded and those anti-German people who were simply taken out and shot, the death toll of those killed by Nazi Germany (not including those who died in action, those killed by the Blitz etc) lies somewhere about 25 million.

ReputationRep:
    Staying in this country has a habit of turning people into atheists and agnostics. I think this will ring true for the asian/ Muslim community as well, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    But surely having a muslim government would go against our historic heritage, traditional culture and so on...for a start it would mean throwing away a system of government and law which has evolved over centuries into what it is today.
    i dont think this country will be ready enough to have a muslim government.Even if it will, it wont turn muslim, because be it even person of Middle Eastern origin becoming prime minister, he will be not be so outdated and have old islamic beliefs. He will a modern very intelligent person, unlike the mula on Iran.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePenguinMafia)
    Staying in this country has a habit of turning people into atheists and agnostics. I think this will ring true for the asian/ Muslim community as well, tbh.
    Exactly - a lot of people born into religious families grow up to end up atheist/agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Waddell)
    No, 55 million died as a result of the Second World War, not killed by Nazi Germany. As to the Nazis, about 11 million died in the Holocaust - 6 million Jews and 5 million gays, gypsies, opponents etc. To be added on to that is the many Russian prisoners of war who died in prisoner of war camps and all those killed when the Germans crushed partisan revolts, executed the educated elites of Poland and the USSR when they were invaded and those anti-German people who were simply taken out and shot, the death toll of those killed by Nazi Germany (not including those who died in action, those killed by the Blitz etc) lies somewhere about 25 million.
    if the nazis didnt come to power, WWII may not have occured, so those 55mil may not have died
    nazis to blame? i think yes

ReputationRep:
    Basic statistics:
    There are about sixty million people in the UK. Less than two million of them are nominally muslim. At the moment the nominally muslim population increases- through birth and immigration- at a faster rate than the rest of the population. Even so, it will be several hundred years before the nominally muslim population of the UK comes anywhere close to parity, let alone a time when there will be enough actively believing muslims to make this a "muslim country". A lot of other things can happen and almost certainly will happen long before then.
    Next time you come across a frightening allegation, think very carefully about the evidence for or against it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riddy)
    According to the mirror Al quida (sp) said this country will become fully muslim, pubs will be closed, no alcohol, everyone will have to pray and women wear veils etc. I dont actually have the paper so dont know much about what it says but do you think this country will be like that in a few years?
    Correct me if im wrong but there are a lot of muslims in Britain and I think its against their religion to get involved in war so they arn't gonna be defending the country which limits the numbers so our country aint gonna be very strong.
    What do you think will everyone eventually be forced to become muslim if these terrorists succeed?
    I think that the paper actually said that if the terrorists were to take over the country then it would become an islamic state, but the terrorists aren't going to take over so there's no problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    No, I mean Anthony Burgess.
    Oops...sorry about that - I studied the Orwell at A-level, so it's what comes automatically to mind when someone says '1984'...

ReputationRep:
    If there is 2 million muslims in this country, and they were all as hard-line as some of you make us believe. Would they not create and vote for a party giving them roughly double the amount of votes (power) of the BNP? I think its a nasty assumption that a (questionable) majority arising (by 2100? reliable source?) in the UK will rid us of a secular government. Not to mention that within each generation religion, including Islam is less strictly adhered to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    What on earth do you base this on?

How is Islam 'strict' and Christianity not?
    lol. if you knew anything about the two religions you wouldn't ask. i won't answer an idiotic question like that.

(Original post by LC01)
    There are already more muslims praying on a friday than chrstians praying on a saturday(edit:sorry meant sunday). Islam will be a majority in western europe by 2100 and since we live in a democracy where everyone gets 1 vote,and since they would be the majority,there would be nothing stopping them creating an islamic state in Britain and the rest of europe.
    hahahha
    Thats a silly thing to come up with. what does numbers praying in church say?
    fact is christianity is by far the majority religion, and atheism/v weak christianity is way above islam judaism etc.
    Muslims are the massive majority in egypt, and yet that remains secular. As do many other countries globally in the face of one relgion have overwhelming majority.
    Your lgoic is, as ever, flawed.

(Original post by kizdesai)
    If there is 2 million muslims in this country, and they were all as hard-line as some of you make us believe. Would they not create and vote for a party giving them roughly double the amount of votes (power) of the BNP? I think its a nasty assumption that a (questionable) majority arising (by 2100? reliable source?) in the UK will rid us of a secular government. Not to mention that within each generation religion, including Islam is less strictly adhered to.
    amazing logic isnt it? lol. judging by the asians i know, only about 50% (poss a bit more) of the people who identify themselves as muslim actually follow their religion in any real sense.
    i think when it comes to the census people tend to just put down what religion their parents are/they are TOLD they are.
    my gran puts down christian but follows christianity in no real sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    amazing logic isnt it? lol. judging by the asians i know, only about 50% (poss a bit more) of the people who identify themselves as muslim actually follow their religion in any real sense.
    i think when it comes to the census people tend to just put down what religion their parents are/they are TOLD they are.
    my gran puts down christian but follows christianity in no real sense.
    Yup - I was put down as Hindu despite having no beleifs with the Hindu faith.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.