Turn on thread page Beta

Ban kosher? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    With fox hunting banned, because of it being apprantly "cruel" should the government also ban kosher slaughter since it is far more cruel then fox hunting ever was. Also do you think that fox hunting would have been banned if it was a minority tradition as opposed to a British one?
    KOSHER

ReputationRep:
    And Halal? Brave of the BNP to acknowledge Jews are different to the rest of us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    And Halal? Brave of the BNP to acknowledge Jews are different to the rest of us.
    Yes halal as well.

ReputationRep:
    umm why dont we all just become vegetarians?....

ReputationRep:
    Sick video, but if you are going to ban that please ban KFC etc as well- just because cows are bigger doesn't mean its any more acceptable to mutilate smaller animals.

ReputationRep:
    Chickens are also treated cruelly by KFC. Should we ban KFC too? Oh and don't forget supermarkets - they sell non free range produce

And fox hunting IS a minority tradition btw just the tradition of a minority class as opposed to race

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    Chickens are also treated cruelly by KFC. Should we ban KFC too? Oh and don't forget supermarkets - they sell non free range produce
    Great minds.

ReputationRep:
    maybe it was the cruelty of the chase which got it banned rather than food which is for eating...

ReputationRep:
    Ah. You might say that but that is where the genetic modification comes in

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but this is clearly not an accurate portrayal of kosher slaughter.

In Judaism, animal cruelty is expressly forbidden. It's not permitted to cause animals any more pain than absolutely necessary, and normal secular slaughter methods are forbidden mainly because they are more cruel than kosher slaughter ('shechitah'). In Judaism, eating meat is a concession. Much of the ultra-religious community is actually vegetarian.

The rules of shechitah cover the slaughter of all kosher meat and poultry.

Pre-stunning does NOT render an animal unconscious. It briefly paralyses the animal, preventing it from struggling away. It causes great pain to the animal. It also causes brain haemorrhage, and it is FORBIDDEN in the context of shechitah. People who campaign for pre-stunning believe the hype that it renders animals unconscious and insusceptible to pain. All slaughter methods, apart from kosher and possibly halal slaughter, involve pre-stunning.

The principle behind shechitah is that a surgically sharp blade cuts the external jugular vein, and within two to three seconds, the animal is unconscious from the massive drop in cranial blood pressure. The blade must be sharp enough so that it is barely felt cutting the skin (think of a sharp scalpel or paper cut), and there are many rules governing the cutting action - for instance, the point of the knife must not pierce the skin (you can't stab at it), the blade can only cut in one direction (you use one single cutting stroke), and the slaughterer must check the sharpness of the blade with his nail before using it.

Another point is that animals must be dealt with one by one, on their own. The sight and smell of fresh blood enrages and scares cattle - this is not a pleasant way to die, knowing that "you're next" for the electric stun and the electric neck saw.

The life of animals bred for kosher slaughter is also completely different from most. The principle of kindness to animals starts from breeding, and animals are always fed well and kept healthy and comfortable until the last possible moment.

Compare two deaths of a chicken.
    The non-kosher one is washed down, hung upside down by its legs in a conveyor belt, and transported along the slaughterhouse. It can smell blood and the fear of other chickens. It passes an electric stunner and misses it, as many of the chickens do; else it is stunned, or partially stunned and paralysed, but in pain. As it is still conscious, as it passes the saw that 'sticks' the chickens (severs their necks) it holds its head up above the saw. It survives to the end of the line, where it is plunged into boiling water as the first part of the plucking process. I have a friend who has seen this happen.
    The kosher one is taken from its environment individually into an isolated area by hand by an experienced, trained slaughterer. He or she handles the chicken carefully and exposes its throat, incises the jugular and the bird is unconscious within two seconds. It did not know a thing.

If I couldn't obtain kosher meat, I'd turn vegetarian. Even if I didn't want kosher meat any more for religious reasons. The difference in animal treatment is that great.

ReputationRep:
    did anyone watch the program on channel 2 about a slaughter house?
    im not saying its a good thing or agreeing with it... but compare the kosher guy on that who was trained to respect the animals and did the 'deed' very quickly and more humanly than the normal sick guys who abused and killed them all with the stunning... it doesnt seem as bad!
    just dont eat it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverjonny)
    I'm sorry but this is clearly not an accurate portrayal of kosher slaughter.

In Judaism, animal cruelty is expressly forbidden. It's not permitted to cause animals any more pain than absolutely necessary, and normal secular slaughter methods are forbidden mainly because they are more cruel than kosher slaughter ('shechitah'). In Judaism, eating meat is a concession. Much of the ultra-religious community is actually vegetarian.

The rules of shechitah cover the slaughter of all kosher meat and poultry.

Pre-stunning does NOT render an animal unconscious. It briefly paralyses the animal, preventing it from struggling away. It causes great pain to the animal. It also causes brain haemorrhage, and it is FORBIDDEN in the context of shechitah. People who campaign for pre-stunning believe the hype that it renders animals unconscious and insusceptible to pain. All slaughter methods, apart from kosher and possibly halal slaughter, involve pre-stunning.

The principle behind shechitah is that a surgically sharp blade cuts the external jugular vein, and within two to three seconds, the animal is unconscious from the massive drop in cranial blood pressure. The blade must be sharp enough so that it is barely felt cutting the skin (think of a sharp scalpel or paper cut), and there are many rules governing the cutting action - for instance, the point of the knife must not pierce the skin (you can't stab at it), the blade can only cut in one direction (you use one single cutting stroke), and the slaughterer must check the sharpness of the blade with his nail before using it.

Another point is that animals must be dealt with one by one, on their own. The sight and smell of fresh blood enrages and scares cattle - this is not a pleasant way to die, knowing that "you're next" for the electric stun and the electric neck saw.

The life of animals bred for kosher slaughter is also completely different from most. The principle of kindness to animals starts from breeding, and animals are always fed well and kept healthy and comfortable until the last possible moment.

Compare two deaths of a chicken.
    The non-kosher one is washed down, hung upside down by its legs in a conveyor belt, and transported along the slaughterhouse. It can smell blood and the fear of other chickens. It passes an electric stunner and misses it, as many of the chickens do; else it is stunned, or partially stunned and paralysed, but in pain. As it is still conscious, as it passes the saw that 'sticks' the chickens (severs their necks) it holds its head up above the saw. It survives to the end of the line, where it is plunged into boiling water as the first part of the plucking process. I have a friend who has seen this happen.
    The kosher one is taken from its environment individually into an isolated area by hand by an experienced, trained slaughterer. He or she handles the chicken carefully and exposes its throat, incises the jugular and the bird is unconscious within two seconds. It did not know a thing.

If I couldn't obtain kosher meat, I'd turn vegetarian. Even if I didn't want kosher meat any more for religious reasons. The difference in animal treatment is that great.
    I take it your a jew.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as he's a member of the Jewish Society, I'd guess so!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    I take it your a jew.
    Sherlock?! Where have you been hiding up til now?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    I take it your a jew.
    Cos he knows more about this then you? Quite possibly.

ReputationRep:
    Ok that would explain why he said that kosher slaughter is better than our slaughter when it clearly isnt(although I do admit KFC workers do abuse chickens, I have seen video)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Ok that would explain why he said that kosher slaughter is better than our slaughter when it clearly isnt(although I do admit KFC workers do abuse chickens, I have seen video)
    I would prefer that account of kosher slaughter to common non slaughter methods too though, and so would any sane person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    when it clearly isnt
    Look you can get away with "clearly ..." in your alevel maths exam, but not in the debate forum. Now what is your counterargument?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homoterror)
    Look you can get away with "clearly ..." in your alevel maths exam, but not in the debate forum. Now what is your counterargument?
    Ok all the things he said like"one stroke of the knife" were done in the video and yet the cow clearly was still awake and in pain. In fact the only thing he said that was not done in the video, was that the cows were able to smell blood.

ReputationRep:
    That's why I said that the video 'clearly was not an accurate portrayal of kosher slaughter'.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.