Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    No it would not, the MPs would not even dare bring it up, in fact they would probably tap the pakistanies on the head and thank them for enriching us.
    Complete rubbish. Fox hunting was entertainment, a hobby of the rich and upper class. The preparation of halal and kosher is part religion (although saying that, some people who are not religious still want to eat halal and kosher as they think it is better for them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juueru_chou)
    Complete rubbish. Fox hunting was entertainment, a hobby of the rich and upper class. The preparation of halal and kosher is part religion (although saying that, some people who are not religious still want to eat halal and kosher as they think it is better for them).
    So if they got a new religion officially registerd in th UK, and that religion states that they must hunt foxes, you would then support fox hunting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    So if they got a new religion officially registerd in th UK, and that religion states that they must hunt foxes, you would then support fox hunting?
    You are willfully missing the point that fox hunting is nothing more than a passtime, entertainment upper class people enjoyed, it was not as if they were hunting to eat the fox, nor indeed did they hunt a lot of foxes at once, it was generally one at a time.

Fox hunting, even if part of a religion, would still be illegal because unlike halal and kosher, it would not be something practical (since both provide meat that is clean according to the laws of those religions).

ReputationRep:
    You are willfully missing the point that fox hunting is nothing more than a passtime, entertainment upper class people enjoyed, it was not as if they were hunting to eat the fox, nor indeed did they hunt a lot of foxes at once, it was generally one at a time.

Fox hunting, even if part of a religion, would still be illegal because unlike halal and kosher, it would not be something practical (since both provide meat that is clean according to the laws of those religions).
    it would not be something practical
    Keeping fox numbers down is practical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Keeping fox numbers down is practical.
    Fox numbers could be kept down by shooting them, there doesn't need to be any hunt at all.

ReputationRep:
    Fox numbers could be kept down by shooting them, there doesn't need to be any hunt at all.
    cows can be killed by shooting them, there does not need to be any throat slitting at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    cows can be killed by shooting them, there does not need to be any throat slitting at all.
    But shooting a cow will not drain all of the blood out of it, which is the reason for hanging them upside down and slitting their throat.

ReputationRep:
    But shooting a cow will not drain all of the blood out of it, which is the reason for hanging them upside down and slitting their throat.
    shooting it kills it faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    shooting it kills it faster.
    Tell me, were there any guns about in 1000BC?

ReputationRep:
    Fox Hunting isn't very practical, agreed. Yet I'd like to know what's so practical about these other practices that make them any different? If Halal and Kosher techniques are so practical, everyone would be practicing them.

All three are nothing more than traditions unless we are to establish Judaism or Islam as the official state religion, so Juueru really should show us all the unit of measurement he uses to decide which traditions are more holy and valueable than others. I suspect it's simply a matter of measuring how much the practicioners fit within the "ethnic minority" category.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me, were there any guns about in 1000BC?
    WTF does that have to do with it? I cant be botherd with this thread anymore its boring me.

ReputationRep:
    Fox hunting was entertainment, a hobby of the rich and upper class.
    Thats highly prejudicial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    WTF does that have to do with it? I cant be botherd with this thread anymore its boring me.
    The fact that kosher food was being made a long time before this country even existed and as you seem to be all for tradition (see your many comments about British traditions), it would be wrong for this tradition, which is well over 3000 years old, to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Thats highly prejudicial.
    Well, fox hunting is, for the most part, the past time of the upper class, although I do admit that there will be those participating that do not fit into that group.

ReputationRep:
    Well, fox hunting is, for the most part, the past time of the upper class, although I do admit that there will be those participating that do not fit into that group.
    It trancends all class boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    It trancends all class boundaries.
    Do you see many working class individuals actually riding in a hunt?

ReputationRep:
    Can you please address my points?

ReputationRep:
    Do you see many working class individuals actually riding in a hunt?
    I've no idea how to tell how someone is "working class", but actually growing up in an area where the hunt is present gives me a certain amount of insight: I know two factory workers who take part, I know of other people on lower incomes work for the hunt and accompany it.

I'd like to see the study you are using to base your opinions on, of course I suspect Vienna is correct in suggesting you are nothing more than a prejudiced cretin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LC01)
    Would this have been banned if it were a pakistan tradition.....I think not. But because its a British one it can be banned.
    do you want to give an example or any kind of shred of support before making sweeping comments like this ._.
    you keep disregarding other peoples comments saying 'just because they say it, doesnt mean its true'
    well same applies to you =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonD)
    Fox Hunting isn't very practical, agreed. Yet I'd like to know what's so practical about these other practices that make them any different? If Halal and Kosher techniques are so practical, everyone would be practicing them.

All three are nothing more than traditions unless we are to establish Judaism or Islam as the official state religion, so Juueru really should show us all the unit of measurement he uses to decide which traditions are more holy and valueable than others. I suspect it's simply a matter of measuring how much the practicioners fit within the "ethnic minority" category.
    Animals have to be slaughtered before you can eat them, that is a fact of life and Judaism (Kosher) and Islam (halal) have laws dictating how they should slaughter animals to make it clean for them to eat.
    We have our own way of slaughtering animals (sometimes less humane than kosher or halal) which we use and they have their own method of slaughtering their animals.

You say it is a tradition just as fox hunting is, but these traditions have been around for an awful lot longer, as much as 3000 years. Back then no guns existed and this was the only way to slaughter animals was by slitting their throats.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.