Turn on thread page Beta

Explaining how to use the word "Touché" watch

Hi guys,

i am trying to explain to a guy how to use the word touche, correctly and to explain to him what it means. i have said it means like a counter strike, of when you get someone back fairly. like i called someone an insult, and they insulted me back, i could use touche.

Is this right?

can you think of an example?

and can you explain it better please?

cheers guys

Flukey

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is that there's a better explanation for it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a little more complex than that.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh..that's a tough one actually. I hate it when words and meanings are really hard to explain. I'd get it from your description though. I was trying to explain to my friends the other day about the American word, "period". ie. when they say something, followed by the word, "period". It was really difficult!

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's like giving someone a high five- it's a gesture of approval.

:rofl: hehe see guys, no one i struggled to explain it!! its bloody hard to!!!

zhivago can you explain the word period to me please! :rofl: hehe :p:

oh yeah and hello Xanthe, my 19 yr old lover who thinks she is 35!! how are you today? :hugs: :love:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I just typed out an answer and the wireless connection went poop...

It's more used in debates and discussions than in childish exchanges of insults.. If you, perhaps in a heat of the moment stylee, put forward an argument that isn't well thought out, leading the other person to dismiss and rip said argument to shreds with a quick and witty reply, then I would say it is appropriate to reply with 'touché'.

Yes, hard to explain :/

ReputationRep:
    'period' in that sense means ''full stop'' you know when you say ''She just drinks too much, full top'' means the same as ''she just drinks too much, period''
    And about touche its just something you use when bantering, or getting into a one-upmanship with words... i think your explaination was better
    howdy flukey ma darling devil hubby

ReputationRep:
    You smell

You smell of poo

Touche

Feel free to quote that as the worst example of anything ever in histroy, just give me royalties

ReputationRep:
    I think it was originally used in sword fighting or fencing, for when you block a parry and make one in return. I think.

ReputationRep:
    ok.

touche: when someone comes back with a counter argument/comment to a point you have just made, and you agree that that counter argument/point was of a high quality and relavance. THERE YA GO

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I was told the word means "touched", and is used, as people have said, when in an argument, you're winning or have a more solid point you'd say "touched" but obviously, "touche" instead.

(Original post by tishysquishy)
    'period' in that sense means ''full stop'' you know when you say ''She just drinks too much, full top'' means the same as ''she just drinks too much, period''
    And about touche its just something you use when bantering, or getting into a one-upmanship with words... i think your explaination was better
    howdy flukey ma darling devil hubby
    hehe i knew what period meant, just said it to annoy the other lass. hehe

good definition, i thought my definition was rather poor.

Hello fellow devil mistress!!! and how are you? where you been recently? haven't spoken to you in ageeeeeeeees!!!!!! :hugs: :evil:

(Original post by dogtanian)
    Oh, I just typed out an answer and the wireless connection went poop...

It's more used in debates and discussions than in childish exchanges of insults.. If you, perhaps in a heat of the moment stylee, put forward an argument that isn't well thought out, leading the other person to dismiss and rip said argument to shreds with a quick and witty reply, then I would say it is appropriate to reply with 'touché'.

Yes, hard to explain :/
    ooooh good definition!! nice one. :cool:

Indeed hard to explain, but you have done well in explaining it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    You smell

You smell of poo

Touche

Feel free to quote that as the worst example of anything ever in histroy, just give me royalties
    haha hahahaha haha
    personally i believe it to be a brilliant piece of dialoge, i think that the cultural overtones are paticularly poignant.....:dong:

(Original post by dj_billz)
    ok.

touche: when someone comes back with a counter argument/comment to a point you have just made, and you agree that that counter argument/point was of a high quality and relavance. THERE YA GO
    ah ha!! got in a nutshell!!! very good :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, just 'touch.' In fencing traditionally it is up to the party who gets poked with the foil that has to call the touch (by saying, yes, touché!) and it is then scored. One of the few remaining sports where your opponent dictates your score. Also, if your opponent shouts 'touché' and you don't think you did, you can shout back 'ne pas touché' - all very exciting and quite interesting when you put that level of complexity into stupid insult-trading conversations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Yep, just 'touch.' In fencing traditionally it is up to the party who gets poked with the foil that has to call the touch (by saying, yes, touché!) and it is then scored. One of the few remaining sports where your opponent dictates your score. Also, if your opponent shouts 'touché' and you don't think you did, you can shout back 'ne pas touché' - all very exciting and quite interesting when you put that level of complexity into stupid insult-trading conversations.
    Microsoft word! ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    i have said it means like a counter strike, of when you get someone back fairly. like i called someone an insult, and they insulted me back, i could use touche.

Is this right?
    yes, thats essentially right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_billz)
    ok.

Precise and accurate!! (:
    *thumbs up* (wasn't there an emoticon for that?)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2005

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.